Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2023, 04:17 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've used the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP (19AH) 70-210mm F3.5 for larger insects and the like, and I think the lens did a very good job.
The lens helped, but the photographer did an extremely good job!

05-17-2023, 04:24 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ksparks519 Quote
How do you think the tamron 70-300 stacks up with the pentax DA 55-300's? A bit closer focusing distance than the cheaper ones, but 95cm is approaching the awkward zone for me anyway.
I have the inexpensive DA-L 55-300, which is optically the same as all the non-PLM 55-300 lenses, and it is significantly better than the Tamron in basically every way but three...
It vignettes significantly on full frame; it has no aperture ring (so no go on old film cameras); and it doesn't do 1:2
If you said, "I have a K70 and want to shoot general purpose stuff", I would definitely say to go with the Pentax (or the newer PLM), but the Tamron does a good job with 1:2 that the Pentax doesn't
The Tamron is at its weakest above about 200mm for distant objects. It gets a lot better up close and at shorter focal lengths, especially stopped down to f8.

-Eric
05-17-2023, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've used the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP (19AH) 70-210mm F3.5 for larger insects and the like, and I think the lens did a very good job.

Wow, some great shots there, Luftfluss! Esp the first pic (dragonfly) and the black and yellow caterpillar!
05-18-2023, 07:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have the budget, the Sigma APO EX / EX DG IF Macro 180mm f/3.5 would fit the bill. They seem to be rare but as it happens, there is one for sale on this website at the moment. It is the AF version, which might not be what you are looking for.

05-18-2023, 08:38 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ksparks519 Quote
The vivitar 135 f/2.3 looks a lot like what I'm looking for, thanks for the suggestion! Always hard for me to suss out the gems in the vivitar lineup.
The color is on the cooler side but I do like it a lot. being an older lens it doesn't have the near clinical rendering that something like the Samyang/Rokinon 135mm F/2 UMC does but does give some very pleasing results. I have both and each serves its purpose with the 135/2 UMC being fantastic for astro. The S1 Vivitar 135/2.3 also plays nice with extension tubes so if you want to get closer you can. I have the M42 mount version and a couple of sets of M42 auto extension tubes so that lens still sees a fair amount of use during the day. That lens was one of the ones I got originally at a stole it price from a pawn shop many years ago for like $10 or $15 since they view it as an obsolete mount 3rd party lens with some odd number like f/2.3.