Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a question for Roentarre

Are you saying theres an EOS adapter to put Pentax lenses on a Canon? If so does it have lens elements in it or is it just a tube? Lovely photos with the 200 macro. If you find the 200 not to your tastes let me know.
thanks
barondla

03-19-2007, 08:08 AM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
james,
i haven't seen it mentioned in this thread BUT why not use difussed off camera flash. i do all the time with stellar results.
03-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Are you saying theres an EOS adapter to put Pentax lenses on a Canon? If so does it have lens elements in it or is it just a tube? Lovely photos with the 200 macro.
barondla
Yeah, there is. I saw a couple on sale from ebay - about 250 US dollars. K mount adaptor for EOS cameras.

The only problem with the adaptor is that it does not fully allow certain A lenses focus at long distance as the back of the lens would hit the camera body ...

Wide angle prime would not be such a problem.

It is like a M42 mount adaptor without glass in it.

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
james,
i haven't seen it mentioned in this thread BUT why not use difussed off camera flash. i do all the time with stellar results.
I had tried flash with it.

At a good distance, flash works like a treat. When it is really macro insect work, no matter how gentle the flash is, the details can be harsh and losing the real look

For example

This was taken with a flash facing almost to the sky. -2 compensation on the camera.

The colour is rather harsh

1/180s f/6.7 at 200.0mm iso400 full exif

I now tried to get the natural lighting into subjects; natural lighting is beautiful.

Thanks Roy. I had been using flash for a while; I kind of missed the canon twin head flash that works very well for insect macros. Wished Pentax produced one too
03-21-2007, 06:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Thanks Roy. I had been using flash for a while; I kind of missed the canon twin head flash that works very well for insect macros. Wished Pentax produced one too
I have a Manfrotto flash mounting rig that has 2 arms where you set a flash on the left and right sides of the camera. The angle of the arms are adjustable. It can be mounted for handheld & tripod shots. Set a wireless 360 or 540 on each of the arms, set the flash comp, put a diffuser on the flash and it's off to the races.

03-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I have a Manfrotto flash mounting rig that has 2 arms where you set a flash on the left and right sides of the camera. The angle of the arms are adjustable. It can be mounted for handheld & tripod shots. Set a wireless 360 or 540 on each of the arms, set the flash comp, put a diffuser on the flash and it's off to the races.
This sounds a great idea. Thanks for the help.

How could I not think of that? It is a very clever thought. I was trying to trap some beetles yesterday in Taipei... It would just never turn around for me to take a shot. Its shiny surface reflects all the flash with glare; the whole body was so black that no details can be elicited on the camera LCD screen. Really a traumatic experience.

Bought some local insect books regarding whereabouts of some interesting insects. Struggling.

If I try your set up, I might be able to get some edge sharpness with another flash coming from the other side of the insect!

Thanks
03-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lucky you, being in Taiwan. That's my favorite place in Asia.

Note to self: win big lottery, travel more.
03-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #22
roy
Inactive Account

james, this is my macro rig. it works well and does not produce the harshness as in your example.

04-11-2007, 11:51 PM   #23
Forum Member

Dear Sir, Terrific pictures!
1. I shoot high atlitude flowers (10,000 to 20,000 ft) and butterflies in the Himalyas. (I am not a tripod guy [at those alitudes every kilo counts!] so I usually shoot hand held, using Canon gear; ex Army sniper, so a lot of practice at keeping things steady!) Now growing long in the tooth so decided to shift to Pentax SR since Canon does not offer IS in its macro lenses.
2. Lot of debate on which is the better lens - the new Tamron 90 or the new Pentax 100 macro. Advice from those in the know will be highly appreciated.
3. Ideally I wanted something longer but apparently only Sigma offers 180mm in Pentax mount and I read that the quality is not up to par. Will it offer bettter image quality than the 90Tamron/100Pentax?
4. Lastly, may I request you to take some time out to explain your PP (quoted below) in a bit more detail please, for the computer challeged like me? (From where to access the software and how to use it in Photoshop or as a stand alone programme, whatever.
Thank you.

1. I used ISO 1600, shot in PEF.

2. In Bibblepro, I use noise ninja to get rid of the noise totally 12+ strength 12+ smooth

3. In Photoshop, use Mike's find edge sharpening technique plus micro sharpening around the edges that I want to sharpen

4. Use Benjikan's "accentuation method" after the above interventions, the contrast also enhance the edge sharpness

It works as a treat