Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2023, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That's great info. Did I misunderstand something; the mfd you posted for the 25mm is shorter than for the 36mm. I was assuming it would get shorter as the tube got longer. Is there a bell curve effect?
No I made a typo. I it is now corrected

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 06-07-2023 at 04:13 AM.
06-07-2023, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I had a tough time recently trying to get my K500f4.5 with a third-party arca plate mounted to fit on the Peak Design tripod head. I had to swap the plate for a Peak Design plate to get it mounted.
Dear JCDOSS and others,

1. I have just learned how to like posts. Therefore, I will be reviewing messages and applying likes. Your posts are not unappreciated.

2. JCDOSS, thank you for your post, I contacted an Aussie Peak Design reseller, and we walked through emails and pics, and he has assured me, as you have, that there will be a standard plate that comes with the tripod. We did discuss other tripods and ruled out heavier tripods though they are still in the back of my mind. The ability to hang my Peak Design 30 litre backpack from the hook that is incorporated with the tripod is a winner as a way of adding more stability to the tripod.

Warm regards,

Mitch.
06-09-2023, 04:25 AM   #33

Original Poster
Dear Forum Friends,

Hopefully, my last question.

If I do one day purchase a K5 or K3. Could you please tell me how many shutter operations I should aim for? Obviously less is better. Though there might be a maximum that I should walk away from.

Warm regards,

Mitch.
06-09-2023, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzBassman Quote
Dear Forum Friends,

Hopefully, my last question.

If I do one day purchase a K5 or K3. Could you please tell me how many shutter operations I should aim for? Obviously less is better. Though there might be a maximum that I should walk away from.

Warm regards,

Mitch.
i have used my K5 for many years, dropped i hit it banged it around and it is still working just fine. if i recall correctly it has about 60-80K shots. the only reason i dont use it is i have in the past 3 years picked up a K1-2 and a K3-3. the K3-3 just rolled over 10K shots in 6 months. lower is better but i think todays shutters are rated in the 6 figures for expected life

06-09-2023, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Price determines the max shutter count you should consider. I wouldn’t worry about 50k or less. I might start to get a little worried at 100k. Honestly even those values are just guesses.
06-10-2023, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #36

Original Poster
Shelley and I went out today with Birdlife Bass Coast and had a great morning. I was nervous for my first foray in four years using the ME Super, and the 400 ISO did not hold up well under the canopy of the Aussie scrub. Unfortunately, at frame 20, the mirror on the SLR remained in the up position, which stopped the morning's activities, and Shelley and I returned to the car and found a local cafe a few kilometers away.

Anyhow at home, a bit of Youtube fixed the stuck mirror and, I think, whilst manually activating the shutter with the shutter button. Normal using of the camera in flash mode, it stuck again. It looks like I may be up for a service. At the time, I could not think straight and had the Tamron 70 -210mm SP connected to a 2 X Tamron SP Teleconverter. Not enough light. However, I gave it my best shot. Once I returned home, I again figured out how simple it was to remove the 2X Teleconverter, which would have made for a more interesting bush morning.

If I venture into digital, I may not have to replace all my lenses for auto lenses down the track. It may be more economical than I previously thought. I will see how this year goes and try to make an educated evaluation of what I actually require. I do like the bird on the post one member submitted. Very nice, indeed. I would love to reproduce this type of image.

Shelley and I really had fun today.

Whilst I wait for the camera tech company to reply to my email on a possible service for the ME Super, I may load another roll of Fuji Pro 400H and take some snaps around the back yard and a gully nearby, two minutes walk away. Thank goodness it is approaching winter, and the snakes have returned to being dormant.

The next outing is on a coastal island shore reachable by a vehicle bridge, comfort all the way. This will be a test for the 400H film with a polarising filter to see if there is enough light for this outing and reflections from the wading area on the shoreline.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments which I keep reading over and making today such a fun activity and success.

Warm regards,

Mitch.
06-10-2023, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you had fun which is far more important than I’d often thought about. Sorry your camera has developed issues.

06-10-2023, 03:42 PM   #38

Original Poster
After having so much fun yesterday and taking about 20 shots, I only expect a couple to turn out as I am unable to hold a camera as steady as when I was 19 with a zoom lens and 2X converter. My mental health doctors ( a very long story) have told me that the process of "Dream Building" is good for the soul.

If I do wander down the path of a K1 MK? DSLR. Would Forum Members be able to advise on what lenses one should purchase for my pursuits in bird watching, please? I do not foresee taking shots of a bird call on a cold and chilly morning. You may have seen the shots of a bird's warm breath of song hitting the cold morning air. Though possibly finches on a wire fence in the Mallee on a summer afternoon, or as the photo displayed on this post of the bluebird and again, I have forgotten who took the image. It is pretty lovely.

This is something for myself to aim for in a couple of years, possibly when I sell my Harley, which is drawing closer every day.

I am drawn to this camera:

Pentax K-1 Mark II J Limited DSLR Camera 01 Viridian 1145 | Ricoh Imaging Australia

Dreams and possibilities.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.
06-10-2023, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

That's a beautiful K-1 mII. For sure, we all like to help spend other peoples' money, and many here are knowledgeable and willing to advise. I recommend the K-1 mII for all photography. I love mine, and in fact I have two.
06-10-2023, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After having so much fun yesterday and taking about 20 shots, I only expect a couple to turn out as I am unable to hold a camera as steady as when I was 19 with a zoom lens and 2X converter. My mental health doctors ( a very long story) have told me that the process of "Dream Building" is good for the soul.

If I do wander down the path of a K1 MK? DSLR. Would Forum Members be able to advise on what lenses one should purchase for my pursuits in bird watching, please? I do not foresee taking shots of a bird call on a cold and chilly morning. You may have seen the shots of a bird's warm breath of song hitting the cold morning air. Though possibly finches on a wire fence in the Mallee on a summer afternoon, or as the photo displayed on this post of the bluebird and again, I have forgotten who took the image. It is pretty lovely.

This is something for myself to aim for in a couple of years, possibly when I sell my Harley, which is drawing closer every day.

I am drawn to this camera:

Pentax K-1 Mark II J Limited DSLR Camera 01 Viridian 1145 | Ricoh Imaging Australia

Dreams and possibilities.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.
For birds the K3iii may be a better choice. You get more pixels on the subject which acts a bit like a teleconverter without much downside. The K3iii also offers better AF than the K-1. The K-1ii Viridian you want is unobtainium. Another forum member is trying to secure one without paying nosebleed pricing and so far no luck.

My ideas of possible combos:
K3iii plus 55-300 PLM - effectively about the same as 450mm on a K-1 with better autofocus. Excellent tracking and high ISO capability.
(K3iii can be swapped for less impressive KF, K70, KP, K3ii, etc. but the tracking will not be as good...)

K1 plus 150-450 - Superb image quality and great speedy focus but not as good at tracking as the combo above. Can combine with the HD DA 1.4x but you will need to crop as this TC does not cover the FF sensor fully. Not cheap.

A Sigma "Bigma" or variation of that. Anything from 50-150 on the short end and 400-500 on the long end. These are good but not great lenses.

A DA* 300 f4. The screwdrive converted versions of these are very reasonably priced. It can pair well with the HD DA 1.4x or even (in good light) the AFA 1.7x mentioned before. With the AFA this is still 510mm but f6.8.

The costs skyrockets if you consider the FA* 250-600, or the larger primes such as an FA* 300/2.8, FA* 400/5.6, FA* 600/4 or DA 560/5.6 or Sigma 500/4.5
06-11-2023, 03:23 PM   #41

Original Poster
For birds the K3iii may be a better choice. You get more pixels on the subject which acts a bit like a teleconverter without much downside. The K3iii also offers better AF than the K-1. The K-1ii Viridian you want is unobtainium. Another forum member is trying to secure one without paying nosebleed pricing and so far no luck.

My ideas of possible combos:
K3iii plus 55-300 PLM - effectively about the same as 450mm on a K-1 with better autofocus. Excellent tracking and high ISO capability.
(K3iii can be swapped for less impressive KF, K70, KP, K3ii, etc. but the tracking will not be as good...)

K1 plus 150-450 - Superb image quality and great speedy focus but not as good at tracking as the combo above. Can combine with the HD DA 1.4x but you will need to crop as this TC does not cover the FF sensor fully. Not cheap.

A Sigma "Bigma" or variation of that. Anything from 50-150 on the short end and 400-500 on the long end. These are good but not great lenses.

A DA* 300 f4. The screwdrive converted versions of these are very reasonably priced. It can pair well with the HD DA 1.4x or even (in good light) the AFA 1.7x mentioned before. With the AFA this is still 510mm but f6.8.

The costs skyrockets if you consider the FA* 250-600, or the larger primes such as an FA* 300/2.8, FA* 400/5.6, FA* 600/4 or DA 560/5.6 or Sigma 500/4.5
Dear UV,

Thank you for your detailed and informative reply. I am slowly being educated and see that K3 iii is available on Zip Pay. I have read the Pentax burst (RAAF term) on this camera and the lens you have recommended. It does sound very appealing and suits the bill (no pun intended) very well. I will save this emailed response from the forum when it arrives in my inbox, as I have done with the others. Now I have to reprogram my lust and mindset for the K1 ii I previously mentioned and place this camera and lens at the top of the list.

The bottom end of High-end HIFI is another interest of mine, and playing vinyl and CDs on NAIM HIFI equipment. We have downsized and moved to a new home, and none of my old HIFI equipment stands will fit in the narrow door of the TV/music room. Even the leather couch had to come through the window. My dear wife has approved a new bamboo HIFI shelving system for the stereo equipment and the Lin LP12 turntable.

This shelving will be on the Zip payment plan system until I sell the Harley. The Pentax MK3 iii and plm 55 -300 look very doable after this purchase or as again after I sell the Harley. I had to look up these acronyms as they are new to me. plm stands for pulse motor, though I expect the full abbreviation is pulse linear motor. This is much more affordable than the $12k to $20k I thought it would take to enter birding photography.

I think my out-of-pocket expense here in Oz will be around $2,699 for the MK3 iii and $679 for the plm 55 - 300. Total = $3,378 AUD. I have read that an APS-C sensor is desirable for birding as the object of interest takes up more of the frame.

One of the things that has put me off digital photography is learning software packages. I do not know why, though I believe they are required for doing something to the RAW image you receive from the camera. Please enter any comments on the software I will need if I do. My computer is an Apple iMac running the latest MacOS.

I am very appreciative of everyone's comments. Once the HIFI shelving/table is paid for or Harley is sold, I will purchase my camera. It could be two years away, and for sure, something better will be out. However, I may sell it earlier than later and have a Pentax Christmas present to boot.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.
06-11-2023, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The bottom end of High-end HIFI is another interest of mine, and playing vinyl and CDs on NAIM HIFI equipment. We have downsized and moved to a new home, and none of my old HIFI equipment stands will fit in the narrow door of the TV/music room. Even the leather couch had to come through the window. My dear wife has approved a new bamboo HIFI shelving system for the stereo equipment and the Lin LP12 turntable.
Seems we have similar tastes

This is my turn table Gerrard 301 transcription motor

Transcription Motor 301 R-Player Garrard Eng. & Mfg. |*Radiomuseum

With a Grado laboratory tone arm.

Grado Micro Control Micro Control Pick-up Arm Manual | Vinyl Engine

Vintage kit for vintage vinyl
06-11-2023, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dear UV,

Thank you for your detailed and informative reply. I am slowly being educated and see that K3 iii is available on Zip Pay. I have read the Pentax burst (RAAF term) on this camera and the lens you have recommended. It does sound very appealing and suits the bill (no pun intended) very well. I will save this emailed response from the forum when it arrives in my inbox, as I have done with the others. Now I have to reprogram my lust and mindset for the K1 ii I previously mentioned and place this camera and lens at the top of the list.

This shelving will be on the Zip payment plan system until I sell the Harley. The Pentax MK3 iii and plm 55 -300 look very doable after this purchase or as again after I sell the Harley. I had to look up these acronyms as they are new to me. plm stands for pulse motor, though I expect the full abbreviation is pulse linear motor. This is much more affordable than the $12k to $20k I thought it would take to enter birding photography.

I think my out-of-pocket expense here in Oz will be around $2,699 for the MK3 iii and $679 for the plm 55 - 300. Total = $3,378 AUD. I have read that an APS-C sensor is desirable for birding as the object of interest takes up more of the frame.

One of the things that has put me off digital photography is learning software packages. I do not know why, though I believe they are required for doing something to the RAW image you receive from the camera. Please enter any comments on the software I will need if I do. My computer is an Apple iMac running the latest MacOS.

I am very appreciative of everyone's comments. Once the HIFI shelving/table is paid for or Harley is sold, I will purchase my camera. It could be two years away, and for sure, something better will be out. However, I may sell it earlier than later and have a Pentax Christmas present to boot.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.
Mitch as much as I love vinyl I've moved away from it largely. I suggest you give this site a read: audio science review

Even if you stick with vinyl consider the current class d amps. I retired my Luxman and Rotel amps.

---------- Post added 06-11-23 at 11:55 PM ----------

I should also point out that I've listened to a lot of analog gear. The sota sapphire with a vac kit and Linn LP-12 and even Michelle Gyro have grabbed my attention at times. I still own a Sumiko arm and a Supex Moving Coil cartridge and a few tables.

On the camera front - the K-1/K-1ii are the better landscape cameras, but the k-3iii is the better action camera.
06-12-2023, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

...Once the HIFI shelving/table is paid for or Harley is sold, I will purchase my camera. It could be two years away, and for sure, something better will be out...
Oh, I had to laugh at this. You are clearly new to Pentax to think their product cycles are that short. The Pentax K-3 mIII came out about two years ago, so I wouldn't expect a refresh for maybe another 4-5 years. The Pentax K-1 came out seven years ago, and despite the relatively minor update in the mII, there has been no refresh. So, yeah, they move real slow, but part of the reason is that their products are so good in the first place, they really don't need much updating.

I think if birding is your primary purpose, then the K-3 mIII is the better choice over the K-1 mII. Tighter framing, better autofocus, and more pixels on subject are primary reasons for the preference. Hopefully you can pick one up sooner than later... sell that Harley already!

Cheers!
06-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #45

Original Poster
Mitch as much as I love vinyl I've moved away from it largely. I suggest you give this site a read: audio science review

Even if you stick with vinyl consider the current class d amps. I retired my Luxman and Rotel amps.

---------- Post added 06-11-23 at 11:55 PM ----------

I should also point out that I've listened to a lot of analog gear. The sota sapphire with a vac kit and Linn LP-12 and even Michelle Gyro have grabbed my attention at times. I still own a Sumiko arm and a Supex Moving Coil cartridge and a few tables.

On the camera front - the K-1/K-1ii are the better landscape cameras, but the k-3iii is the better action camera.
Dear UV,

I may have slipped up with the LP12 as it was first purchased for my wife to listen to her old 70s LPs. Then my metrology side got involved, and I was carried away with analog perfection. On the digital side, at the time of the purchase of my Nait XS2 Baud, rates here in country Oz were very slow. ADSL was a boon when that happened though lagging and dropouts with the then children's Playstations were intolerable let alone streaming audio equipment. Then came NBN with a fiber to the node and speeds approaching 5 - 20 kb. With Shelley's Foxtel, and kids running Netflix, my streaming music ideas were put on hold, and with the fact that music streaming in country Oz was in its infancy at the time, plus my lack of knowledge with routers and modem configurations.

Now we have fiber to the premises. It is a different story. I am considering a NAIM ND5XS2, though I allocated financial resources elsewhere for the time being. After being injured at work and on a virtual disability pension, paying as I go from my super what I have left from the payout until I am eligible for a disability support pension from the government. Everything runs at a snail's pace for any new acquisitions. This is a very long story of a 6.5-year dispute with my employer, which I eventually won at a great financial cost to my wife and myself.

Back on track, I may go streaming one day, though all my favourite performers are from the late 70s and 80s, with a few exceptions. Hence my collection of vinyl and CDs.

We have no music in the house at the moment except for the radio in the form of an Apple Home Pod. I know the Home Pod can stream music, though it was a present from myself to my wife, and our music interests are different. First things first, my wife's TV and Foxtel. Stereo is where I am at the moment, and I will hopefully have that system up and running in a week or so on its new stand. The old IKEA media station will not fit through the window. With a much smaller house after the third move due to the financial hit with the dispute, none of our old furniture will fit in the new house, except two couches (and two beds), one of which had to come through the window in two pieces as the doorways and passageways are too narrow. Then I will look at a Pentax 3 iii in about 12 months with a couple of lenses for birding. I left out the wife's small garden, which will expand as it is her special interest in gardening, a current work in progress.

I have resigned from my toxic motorcycle club and possibly the Harley is the next to go. Though it is our nest egg, and my psychologist wants me to hold on to it at all costs in case of a monetary emergency. Please refer to my dispute for the reason why.

Hopefully, this explains why a simple thing like a Pentax 3iii is not on the radar as yet. Though a part of my dream building.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.