Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2023, 11:14 AM   #1

Pentax smc da 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL- Best Use?

What is the aforementioned lens vest used for? I’m a total newbie. I’m having a difficult time getting my K50 to focus and take a photo with this lens. My 50-200mm is easy to use. I know I must have the settings wrong. Even on ‘Auto’ I’m having difficulty. How is this lens best used? Thanks.

06-03-2023, 11:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 18-55 is a general purpose lens, certainly suitable for most scenes in good light.

Which focus mode are you using? Set your focus mode to single center point.
Set the aperture to f8, and focus on something at least 10 feet away and fairly large with some contrasting colors or patters, a tree, a billboard a road sign.
IF the camera focuses, that answers whether or not it's a technical issue.
06-03-2023, 11:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
The camera does focus, it just won’t allow the picture to be taken, sometimes. That’s why I think it’s user error/setting issue.
06-03-2023, 11:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used that lens for a number of years on my first Pentax DSLR. It is very capable. If you are having focus issues I suggest it may be the camera. Have you tried blowing air over the AF sensor ?

06-03-2023, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it possible that you're too close to your subject? All lenses have a minimum focus distance - any closer and the camera / lens will fail to focus. The 18-55's minimum focus distance is 25cm, but this is at the wide angle setting of 18mm. At longer focal lengths, you would need to be further away from your subject.
06-03-2023, 12:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bourbonieer Quote
The camera does focus, it just won’t allow the picture to be taken, sometimes. That’s why I think it’s user error/setting issue.
I ran into this issue many times when I took my new K20D camera to Egypt in 2008. I was frustrated beyond belief. I missed a lot of shots. The camera shipped with a setting that did not allow the image to be taken if exposure was incorrect.

I don't have a K50 manual, and do not know if that setting exists for the K50, but that is the first place I would check.
06-03-2023, 12:19 PM   #7

Also, recheck your AF lever setting (AF-Single refuses to let you shoot until image is in focus: the, it shoots), subject illumination (these lenses may not autofocus well if subjects is too dark or has too little contrast) and ISO (set it to Auto ISO with a wide range). The lens is a good starting point: just use it for the next few months and then review which subjects you like to shoot most and it should point you gradually to both your style and whatever additional lenses or accessories you may need in the future to improve your style.

06-03-2023, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Is it possible that you're too close to your subject? All lenses have a minimum focus distance - any closer and the camera / lens will fail to focus. The 18-55's minimum focus distance is 25cm, but this is at the wide angle setting of 18mm. At longer focal lengths, you would need to be further away from your subject.
I think I might be too close to my subject. Trial and error time.
06-03-2023, 03:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check focus mode:
AF-S
lMany pentax camera's have default ’ focus priority ’ setting. That means , when pushing button, it will only take picture when the focus is 100% achieved in AF-Single mode.
It can be set to release priority if needed (takes picture even if out of focus) in menu system.
Normally focus priority works fine, except for difficult subjects like fast moving objects ( kids , sports, birds, ...) or in dim (evening/night) light when autofocus is difficult due to lack of light.

With AF-C (continued focus tracking of movement) it will take picture even if slightly out of focus, the setting might suit more fast moving objects.

AF-A switches automatically between AFS and AFC mode. Probably a good default mode...unless specific subjects.

Note that AF modes -A, -S, -C are set with button above AF-MF switch (auto manual focus).

If 50-200 works, I would expect 18-55 to work also. Unless the subjects are highly different in behaviour...AF-S can explain some misses depending on subject.

Manuals are here:
Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
Page 101...
Page 41 is for auto ISO as mentioned by others, to have correct exposure...

---------- Post added 03-06-23 at 15:11 ----------

I think I might be too close to my subject. Trial and error time.
You might need a macro , close focus capable lens...for maximum magnification of small objects.

Last edited by mlag; 06-03-2023 at 03:18 PM.
06-03-2023, 06:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your other lens is working fine there could be a problem with the lens, first I would check that the contacts on the lens mount are clean. Take a clean microfibre cloth and put a drop of alcohol on it, wipe the surface of the mount carefully not to get alcohol on the inside of the lens. For good measure do this on the camera mount also. It's possible you are not getting a good contact somewhere between the lens and camera. This may not help, but it won't hurt to clean those mount surfaces.
06-04-2023, 01:28 AM   #11

I used to have the AL II version of this lens. I found it only gave acceptable results when taking close-up pictures where the subject was near the center of the frame. One side of the picture always ended up blurry when focusing into distant subjects.

Last edited by artrasa; 06-04-2023 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
06-04-2023, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by artrasa Quote
I used to have the AL II version of this lens. I found it only gave acceptable results when taking close-up pictures where the subject was near the center of the frame. One side of the picture always ended up blurry when focusing into distant subjects.
It sounds like your copy was de-centered. When stopped down, all incarnations of the 18-55 are reasonably capable, especially the "II" versions... nothing to challenge a really good prime or higher-end zoom, but respectable nonetheless...
06-04-2023, 03:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

You can check if focus is confirmed by the green hexagon at the bottom of the viewfinder. Probably the camera is set to exposure only if the subject is in focus. That is why it does not go off, sometimes. It would be a problem if it never goes off. Furthermore it nearly impossible to be too close to the subject as the minimum focus distance is 0,25m, it is sort of usable for "macro" as the manual of the lens indicates.
06-04-2023, 03:57 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
it nearly impossible to be too close to the subject as the minimum focus distance is 0,25m, it is sort of usable for "macro" as the manual of the lens indicates.
That 25cm minimum focus distance is, as I mentioned previously, only at 18mm... It'll be greater at longer focal lengths (and considerably so at 55mm). I think the OP's decision to find out through trial and error is probably a good educational move...
06-04-2023, 08:17 AM   #15

Original Poster
I got it working. I found that I had to press the AF button depending on the scene lighting and the camera would change the AF appropriately and I’m now taking shots with it.

As a side note, I think this lens is taking better quality shots than my 50-200mm DA L lens. I’ve read the DA L is lower quality than the DA lenses.