Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA: DFA100/2.8 macro

It came today! Since it was beginning to get dark, all I could get were just a few indoor shots. I'm hoping to get to play with it more this weekend.

Here's a few of the first ones...

This is a page from the catalog that the local college sends out for it's community education program. I just got it today and discovered that they're offering a photography class that I haven't taken, so I'm signing up for it.

Stay tuned for comparisons between it and the DA35's macro capabilities...
Heather

01-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you are gonna fall in love all over again Heather. Enjoy.
Its a lens, along with the FA 43 that has a permanent place in my travel bag.

Cheers.
01-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One thing I'm puzzled about regarding this lens is why in the world did Pentax see fit to pair it with such a big hood? That hood pretty much swamps the lens when on it backwards.

Another thing about that class in the last shot of the catalog--I've taken a couple of other photography classes with this instructor and he's the person responsible for pointing me towards Pentax to begin with. The funny part about it is that he himself shoots both Nikon and Canon professionally.

Heather
01-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
One thing I'm puzzled about regarding this lens is why in the world did Pentax see fit to pair it with such a big hood? That hood pretty much swamps the lens when on it backwards.
When the lens barrel has to extend fully at 1:1 magnification, the hood is needed to protect against extraneous light and flare hitting the front element. It also offers some physical protection for the extended part of the lens barrel.

01-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Glad that you found this macro lens pleasing. It is now in good hands!
01-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

Hi

What do you think of build quality of that lens?
Is it at least as good as FA 50 or does it feel much less durable?
I am considering this lens but I am put off by reports about poor built quality and slow autofocus.

Thanks,

Marcin
01-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did get to the butterfly garden today--here's the link to the post with some pics in the post your pics section:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/45716-butterfly-garden-w...tml#post438049

While this lens is definitely going to take some getting used to, I'm already liking it. I'm liking the fact that I don't have to get too up close and personal with my subject, whether it be animal or plant--that's what's going to take getting used to after using the DA35. Using it today was a bit of a challenge because it was overcast, therefore making natural, or at least diffused flash lighting more difficult--I'm thinking I'm going to eventually be getting a ring flash for these types of situations.

As for the build, even though it's plastic, it doesn't feel cheap. It's lightweight enough that I can handhold it under most circumstances, although with today's conditions, I did miss my monopod (the butterfly garden doesn't allow them).

As to whether or not I'll keep the DA35 now that I have a longer macro, I haven't decided yet. In a way, it would make more sense just to trade it for a DA21, which would put more spread between FLs than the 35 to 43 and would work better for landscapes. I just don't want to have seller's regret like I did after I sold my first 43. Anyway, I'm going to think on it for a bit before deciding, but if you want to give me some input, it would be welcome as well.

Heather

01-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Syb
Veteran Member

Hi Heather,

I am afraid you would regret selling your DA35Ltd. I had a 105 mm macro lens before I got my DA35. I felt it was an enormous extra to my creative possibilities. You may have seen the thread on the DA35 the last days.

Bottom line: I have both focal lengths macros, I love both, I'll keep both.

My $0.02
01-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Syb...
Not that I'd ever had other than my SIgma 105 macro, but I really don't think I'd sell DA35 if I had it...
01-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
While I haven't actually tried it yet in real life, I think the DA35 and the DA55-300 would make a nice, lightweight hiking setup. The 55-300 would be for distance (potentially wildlife) and the 35 could be used for landscapes and any "macro" type shots I might run into. If I didn't need quite so much distance, then I could substitute the DFA100 for the 55-300 and possibly throw in the TC, just in case.

Assuming that I keep the 35, then I might would consider getting the DA15 once it comes out, as I think they would make a nice FL pair.

Heather