Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2023, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always used it hand held. You get use to the weight. 300 w/1.4x is way lighter, but you loose the zoom when needed. I carry the 150-450 with a neoprene comfort neck strap. Hangs well without the battery grip, but with the grip it's a bit cumbersome. I pretty much take my k3iii with the 150-450 everywhere I go - in a vehicle or on a walk.

06-07-2023, 04:42 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I will ante up with my $0.02

Note that this is after 40 years of shooting, both film, and digital, AF and MF. Over this time I have used many different lenses including but not limited to the Pentax DA 560/5.6, and the DFA 150-450(with and without the DA 1.4x TC), the K300;4 plus 1.7x AF converter and the sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX with the sigma 2x TC, all with a K1 MKII and or a K3-3

To answer the question of weight, the heaviest combo I used was the DA560 and K1, Personally, I did not find the weight of this combo restrictive in any way, but I also understand not everyone has the arms of a gorilla or the stamina to carry a 20 pound back pack plus this lens and camera over the shoulder for hikes of 5-10 kilometers, so you will need to make the assessment about the DA150-450 on what you are personally comfortable with.

With respect to the tripod mount, and carrying I believe it is absolutely necessary, but not for mounting the lens to a tripod. The lens lacks any strap lugs, so I have an 80 mm acra plate on the bottom, to which I attach a pair of op/tech strap lugs at the heel of the tripod foot, and hang the lens plus camera from there. This results in a well balanced arrangement that I can hold as well with my hand to keep it spirometer swinging around,

Again, as with the Heavier DA560 I do not use a tripod or monopod for shooting, I shoot Tav mode with aperture between wide open and F8 and 1/1000 shutter, all hand held.

In the list of lenses I gave, I still have all but the DA560, but it represents what I would consider the limit of hand holding, for big lenses I have used., the DFA 150-450 plus TC is my current birding combo, the k300/4 plus 1.7 converter represents just about the lightest way to achieve 500 mm and some measure of AF, (the A300/4) is the lightest when paired with the 1.7x converter, the DA300/4 is 50 grams heavier than the K300 but is a current production lens, a 300/4 with 1.4 or 1.7x TC is the lightest birding combo you can get, I know many forum members that shoot the DA300/4 plus 1.4x with stellar results

If you are concerned about weight the DA300 plus 1.4x is the way to go, for ultimate reach either the 150-450, or 560/5.6 plus TC is the way to go, but you need to be happy with the weight. One other point to consider, and I personally feel the 150-450 is better than the DA560 because it will focus to 2 meters. This can be important, because it is easy to get inside the minimum focus distance of the DA560.

As for the last question, memory cards, I don’t pay any particular attention to what I use, I shoot with a random collection of 8, 16, 32 and 64 GB cards.

For birding I shoot jpeg exclusively.

I hope this helps
That helps, thank you very much

Weight of the lens is not my main concern (yes there is 2 questions about it), but the way to carry it while working on the field.

Therefore I would like to know how you guys carry it.

So I see many Pentax users here talk about monopod.

I'm surprised that, not many of you guys use a peak design or whatsoever to work with the lens

---------- Post added 06-07-23 at 05:44 PM ----------

Thanks for all the comment and feedback, sorry I couldn't reply one by one.

I see many guys here talk about beanbag, what is it exactly?
06-07-2023, 04:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Instead, may I suggest...

Use your K-3iii's built-in 1.7 crop feature with the DA*300/4 (or 70-210, or 60-250, if you need a zoom). The 300 kit offers a crop factor equivalent of 765mm/4.0 (35mm 300 x 1.5x1.7)... add the HD 1.4TC and the cf jumps to 1071mm/5.6 (35mm 300 x 1.5x1.7x1.4)... all at a fraction of the weight and bulkiness of the 150-450. Plus, the resulting image can stand a 1:1 crop during post processing assuming the lens (and TC) focus has been fine tuned correctly.

An example using theK-3iii+DA*60-250/4 (+1.7 cf = 425mm eq cf)... click through for tons of other examples:

My 2 cents... M
QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
Thanks for the idea

I saw Kobie's video of testing the 1.7x, it improves detail a little bit.

But I think optical zoom-in to make object bigger in viewfinder is a bigger concern here.

I did consider the DA300mm + extender, my concern is the old SDM, can it keep up with the K-3III's tracking and focusing power ?
dont get fooled by crop factor, alone it will lead you down a path of diminishing returns.

when shooting birds, especially little birds, you are always cropping down any way, and what is most important, in considering any kit for birding is not just crop factor, in fact using crop factor for equivalence is a fallacy. what you need to consider is the ratio of pixel pitch to focal length. not any crop factor of the overall sensor. Let me illustrate. take a K1 and a K5. by considering only the overall format crop factor, one might consider the DA560 (for example) a longer lens on the K5 because of the 1.5 crop factor of the sensor, but the reality is, once you are into serious cropping, the K1 and K5 are exactly identical because the pixel pitch of both sensors is exactly the same. What do you get when you multiply 16 MP X 1.5^2 ? 36 MP, what is the K1 sensor????? exactly the same!!!

so where does that leave people? the DA560 on a K1 is exactly equivalent (in terms of focal length and pixel density to a DFA 150-450 on a K3-3 that is what matters,
06-07-2023, 04:56 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That helps, thank you very much

Weight of the lens is not my main concern (yes there is 2 questions about it), but the way to carry it while working on the field.

So I see many Pentax users here talk about monopod.

I'm surprised that, not many of you guys use a peak design or whatsoever to work with the lens[
I started out with a monopod, but since the first couple of months with it I use a Peak Design Slide almost exclusively.

06-07-2023, 04:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snip..... but the way to carry it while working on the field.

its simple to carry i use op/tech straps and lanyards (similar to peak designs) see this link The Best Camera Straps | OP//TECH USA

i have an 80mm acra swiss plate similar to this one amazon.com : iShoot All-Metal 80mm Camera Quick Release Plate QS-80 with 1/4?tag=pentaxforums-20&" Screw Compatible with Arca-Swiss Fit Tripod Ball Head Panning Head Panorama Head Panoramic Head Clamp : Electronics

on the tripod foot. it overhangs the foot just a little at the heal of the tripod foot. in the plate are three holes drilled across the width (the plate came like this) i put 2 strap lanyards through the outer holes and hang the lens from a shoulder strap that is long enough to go over my head, and cross my body to distribute the weight.

it balances perfectly, and you can adjust the straps so that your hand can comfortably stabalize the lens plus camera when you walk.
06-07-2023, 06:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I use it hand-held 99%+ of the time, nearly always in concert with the Peak Design Slide strap. It's easy.
06-07-2023, 08:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the idea

I did consider the DA300mm + extender, my concern is the old SDM, can it keep up with the K-3III's tracking and focusing power ?
In the field, my subjects react quickly and I like to work FAST.

The DA*300 has been my 'go to' field lens paired to almost every top-drawer K-camera available for (say) 12 years. In my 'real world' use, its snap to focus-lock is faster than my reaction time and it has NEVER let me down. The K-3iii+DA*300/4+HD1.4TC+CF offers a cost effective, nimble/flexible, and hassle-free kit.

As to the K-3iii+150-450... the very fact you are asking questions about it suggests you have reservations. I found the kit's logistics and fussy demands slow me down.

Just sayin'... M

P.S. It's easy to over-think things. Don't get sidetracked by academic built-in camera crop factor usage objections. If CF use hurt image quality, Pentax would not have made it an option. You paid for it... they even added to it (1.7). You can't break it, why not use it? In the 'real world' I found that it serves up tons of extra-goodness and helps the K-3iii to punch well above it weight.

06-07-2023, 08:20 PM   #23

Original Poster
its simple to carry i use op/tech straps and lanyards (similar to peak designs) see this link The Best Camera Straps | OP//TECH USA

i have an 80mm acra swiss plate similar to this one amazon.com : iShoot All-Metal 80mm Camera Quick Release Plate QS-80 with 1/4?tag=pentaxforums-20&" Screw Compatible with Arca-Swiss Fit Tripod Ball Head Panning Head Panorama Head Panoramic Head Clamp : Electronics

on the tripod foot. it overhangs the foot just a little at the heal of the tripod foot. in the plate are three holes drilled across the width (the plate came like this) i put 2 strap lanyards through the outer holes and hang the lens from a shoulder strap that is long enough to go over my head, and cross my body to distribute the weight.

it balances perfectly, and you can adjust the straps so that your hand can comfortably stabalize the lens plus camera when you walk.
I can't imagine how the optech straps and lanyard combine with the camera with lens, is it like one end hooked to the tripod mount of the lens, the other end hooked to the camera shoulder ?

any actual usage photo ?
06-07-2023, 08:24 PM   #24
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some excellent advice. I will add a small suggestion.
I have the K-3iii as well, and I use the FA*300mm f4.5 and Pentax HD DA1.4x TC for long tele.

Why?
The FA*300mm f4.5 is lighter than the DA*300mm f4. It is FF and it does not rely on SDM. Its relatively light weight, solidity, combined to excellent IQ are a big positive for me over the DA*300mm or the DFA150-450mm.
Combined with the HD DA1.4x TC, the FA*300mm gives me 420 mm, with the choice to switch back to 300mm be removing the TC. This is a nice combo, combining flexibility and great IQ. It is also very light to carry, with the HD DA1.4x TC fitting nicely in a jeans pocket.
I hope that the suggestion may help.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-Star-300mm-F4.5-Lens.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-14x-aw-rear-converter.html

Last edited by hcc; 06-07-2023 at 08:31 PM.
06-07-2023, 08:27 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
In the field, my subjects react quickly and I like to work FAST.

The DA*300 has been my 'go to' field lens paired to almost every top-drawer K-camera available for (say) 12 years. In my 'real world' use, its snap to focus-lock is faster than my reaction time and it has NEVER let me down. The K-3iii+DA*300/4+HD1.4TC+CF offers a cost effective, nimble/flexible, and hassle-free kit.

As to the K-3iii+150-450... the very fact you are asking questions about it suggests you have reservations. I found the kit's logistics and fussy demands slow me down.

Just sayin'... M

P.S. It's easy to over-think things. Don't get sidetracked by academic built-in camera crop factor usage objections. If CF use hurt image quality, Pentax would not have made it an option. You paid for it... they even added to it (1.7). You can't break it, why not use it? In the 'real world' I found that it serves up tons of extra-goodness and helps the K-3iii to punch well above it weight.
That sounds very promising.

I know, I am asking, bit like reluctant.

I also feel like I am using the tele end of 300 for more than 90% of the time, zoom wasn't a compulsory.

But honestly, any complaint with the infamous SDM ?
06-07-2023, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

dont get fooled by crop factor, alone it will lead you down a path of diminishing returns.

when shooting birds, especially little birds, you are always cropping down any way, and what is most important, in considering any kit for birding is not just crop factor, in fact using crop factor for equivalence is a fallacy. what you need to consider is the ratio of pixel pitch to focal length. not any crop factor of the overall sensor. Let me illustrate. take a K1 and a K5. by considering only the overall format crop factor, one might consider the DA560 (for example) a longer lens on the K5 because of the 1.5 crop factor of the sensor, but the reality is, once you are into serious cropping, the K1 and K5 are exactly identical because the pixel pitch of both sensors is exactly the same. What do you get when you multiply 16 MP X 1.5^2 ? 36 MP, what is the K1 sensor????? exactly the same!!!

so where does that leave people? the DA560 on a K1 is exactly equivalent (in terms of focal length and pixel density to a DFA 150-450 on a K3-3 that is what matters,
You are correct, just remember that the 560 was not designed for FF and that the AF points scale with lens and viewfinder magnification. K5 probably makes focusing on small objects easier than K1, even though pixel pitch is the same.
06-08-2023, 12:53 AM   #27

Original Poster

Are you suggesting 560 ?

I dun think I can buy it since production ended up 2 years ago

Plus I can't afford it

I do agree that K-1 is a bigger K-5, the image is just crisp and clear thanks to the 36MP sensor

---------- Post added 06-08-23 at 01:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
You are correct, just remember that the 560 was not designed for FF and that the AF points scale with lens and viewfinder magnification. K5 probably makes focusing on small objects easier than K1, even though pixel pitch is the same.
There is 2 DA lenses, originally designed to be DFA lenses, these are DA*200mm and DA*300mm.

They were even named as DFA*200mm and DFA*300mm at the beginning, because Pentax was still planning the MZD Full frame digital at the time of 2003-2005.

DA560mm has a similar fate.

DA*300mm DA*200mm and DA560 are officially recognized as compatible with FF sensors in Pentax roadmap, as they were originally designed as DFA.
06-08-2023, 02:23 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1) is it portable and mobile ?
Absolutely. I have carried mine around Iguazu Falls and Antarctica (including as carry-on luggage on both International and domestic flights), and at speed on my local trails.

QuoteQuote:
2) Is the tripod mount necessary for field operation ?
In my opinion, yes. For the reason stated below.

QuoteQuote:
3) How do you carry the setup in the field ?
The Peak design Sling Strap works brilliantly. Ideally between the left neck strap lug and the tripod foot - giving the best balance, most comfortable angle against the body, and taking some of the weight off the lens mount

QuoteQuote:
4) Is a tripod or monopod necessary ?
For what it's worth, I have never used mine with either: always hand held.

06-08-2023, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I'm surprised that, not many of you guys use a peak design or whatsoever to work with the lens
I am using both Peak Design plates, a strap and, sometimes, a monopod with Wimberley monogimbal. I have the lens for a month or two, so not too many field reports. Two small plates work as a single larger one, slide into monigimbal's arca swiss quite OK. Strap is almost always attached, as a precaution and for carrying.

Sometimes when I carry it around I orient the foot upside down, but mostly I avoid that and use the normal orientation -- because I am a bit terrified with the reports of a broken dovetail. The strap is comfortable enough in every position.
Attached Images

06-08-2023, 07:55 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you suggesting 560 ?

I dun think I can buy it since production ended up 2 years ago

Plus I can't afford it
don’t worry, not suggesting it, having used both I would recommend the 150-450 over the DA560 on a K3-3 regardless as a general birding lens
QuoteQuote:

I do agree that K-1 is a bigger K-5, the image is just crisp and clear thanks to the 36MP sensor

---------- Post added 06-08-23 at 01:58 AM ----------

There is 2 DA lenses, originally designed to be DFA lenses, these are DA*200mm and DA*300mm.

They were even named as DFA*200mm and DFA*300mm at the beginning, because Pentax was still planning the MZD Full frame digital at the time of 2003-2005.

DA560mm has a similar fate.

DA*300mm DA*200mm and DA560 are officially recognized as compatible with FF sensors in Pentax roadmap, as they were originally designed as DFA.
The 560 has only marginal corner vignetting on Full Frame, it never bothered me