Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #1

The return of the prodigal lens?????

Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 200mm F4.0 ED (1:1 magnf) - FA - Macro - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

Years ago there was a Pentax A 20mm f/4 macro lens that was (and still is in some places) considered the ultimate macro, the ultimate 200mm, and possibly the finest lens ever made.

Not a lot were made, and they're really hard to find and really expensive.

According to legend, Marty Forscher in New York converted a number of them to Canon mount for a LOT of money.

I've seen the photos and specs on this lens. I had given up hope of ever tracking one down.

I just saw a new lens on the Pentax Web site, a P-FA 200mm f/4 Macro. Specs are the same, the barrel looks the same, and perhaps Pentax realized that if they made the lens again, people would buy it.

Not listed on any stores yet. Let's hope that Pentax marketing is finally waking up from their zombie-like slumber!

03-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh that is a sweet looking lens! How I would like to see the reaction of a Canon or Nikon user when they see that silver barrel bolted on my camera

Any ideas how much?
03-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Last time I saw this lens on ebay and lost my bidding against 35mmfilmuser (Marc)

If this is definitely to be released again, I am first on the waiting list.
03-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #4

Don't get too excited..

Pentax Imaging USA has long kept out-of-production/discontinued lenses on the website. They have the 200, 300, 400, and 500 A lenses on there.. for example, that have been discontinued for a very long time.

They aren't bringing these lenses back. The only chance you have is finding the 200mm macro on ebay or some second-hand seller at some point, and hoping you have the money for it.

I imagine that they do this in order to make their lens choices seem more fleshed out, and to provide an idea of what a Pentax shooter *can* find out in the market.. albeit the second-hand market.

(BTW, the P-FA 200mm macro is by no means a new lens)

03-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote

They aren't bringing these lenses back. The only chance you have is finding the 200mm macro on ebay or some second-hand seller at some point, and hoping you have the money for it.

(BTW, the P-FA 200mm macro is by no means a new lens)
This is not the famous Pentax-A 200mm f/4 macro. It is an autofocus lens, it is designated P-FA, not A, and is similar in appearance to the manual focus A lens. But it is autofocus, mot manual focus.
Perhaps P-FA is the remounting in AF barrels of some old classics.

Last edited by Dana G; 03-17-2007 at 10:44 PM.
03-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
This is not the famous Pentax-A 200mm f/4 macro. It is an autofocus lens, it is designated P-FA, not A, and is similar in appearance to the manual focus A lens. But it is autofocus, and is the only P-FA lens listed so far.

Perhaps P-FA is the remounting in AF barrels of some old classics.
I never said it was. The P-FA* 200mm f/4.0 Macro that you link to was manufactured between 2000 and 2004.. making it 3 years out of production. Not exactly *old*.. but it's not a new lens being readied for production either. I only quoted the A lenses to show that that site keeps older lens on there.

You'd be correct in the last sentence though, P-FA was simply the designation for the Autofocus versions of lenses when autofocus bodies became available. (They actually started with just the F designation on some lenses I believe)
03-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
It was just posted on the Web site.

It is a new posting, and that makes me think they're coming to their senses and releasing lenses that people want.

03-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
I never said it was. The P-FA* 200mm f/4.0 Macro that you link to was manufactured between 2000 and 2004.. making it 3 years out of production. Not exactly *old*.. but it's not a new lens being readied for production either. I only quoted the A lenses to show that that site keeps older lens on there.

You'd be correct in the last sentence though, P-FA was simply the designation for the Autofocus versions of lenses when autofocus bodies became available. (They actually started with just the F designation on some lenses I believe)
Actually this lens has an entirely different design than the manual focus A*200/4. It has internal focusing and is somewhat larger, with more lens elements. Opinions vary but some think that the FA* version is even sharper than the A* one. I'm fortunate enough to have both versions and I wouldn't want to have to choose one over the other...
03-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
It was just posted on the Web site.

It is a new posting, and that makes me think they're coming to their senses and releasing lenses that people want.
One can always hope.

Given their track record though.. I'll hold my breath until it shows up on the actual purchasing page