Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jesalonen Quote
Hi all,

I've been a happy snapper with Canon for 2 yrs but wanted to get more serious with photography. Sure, Canon 5D and 85/1.2L made some nice pictures, but... actually it made me look like a better photographer than I am. I shoot mainly anything, but people and streets are a true passion.

So, I sold everything that said "Canon" in it, and went to a store to buy Sony - and came out with a Pentax. After couple days of testing, I can say that I'm really happy I did. However, since I found this forum, I'd like to hear your recommendations although I suspect that this might have been asked a million times...:

With the body, I got the kit lens, of course, and I thought that I'll keep it no matter what - it seems to be a decent performer and since it was free of cost... For a workhorse I took a 40/2.8 ltd and I really love that, the design and the IQ. But, I would like to have something little longer, eg. for candid portraits. I think I would prefer primes, and if I've understood right, these 50-200 or 55-300 zooms are not so good. 50-135 undoubtely is, but here in Finland it sells near 900 euros and that's too much for me right now. Also, it seems to be somewhat heavy and I'd prefer something small and light.

So, what say you?

Regards,

Jari

Ps. This is absolutely excellent site!
Ps2. English is not my 1st language, so if you have troubles in understanding me, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification!
Hello and welcome to Pentax Forums. Sorry, but you never said which Pentax body you purchased.

Thanks
Ben

01-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Indeed I did not! Unbelieveable. K20D it is...
01-04-2009, 03:04 AM   #18
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, just remember if you don't mind manual focus, there's a whole of wonderful world of Pentax or Pentax compatible glass out there.
01-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I like to thank all the kind persons who participated, and I'm happy to announce that I'm a proud owner of another two Pentax lenses... I took the 70/2.4 Ltd and sure am happy I did, judging by the few test photos I took. The only sad part is that I have to get the 21/3.2 pancake, too - but then there's something to hit the streets with.

While waiting for that lens, I'll have a perfect opportunity to practice manual focusing with a SMC M 28/2.8, which I got in a pretty good shape and practically for free. Just have to locate that green button...

Jari

01-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I like to thank all the kind persons who participated, and I'm happy to announce that I'm a proud owner of another two Pentax lenses... I took the 70/2.4 Ltd and sure am happy I did, judging by the few test photos I took. The only sad part is that I have to get the 21/3.2 pancake, too - but then there's something to hit the streets with.

While waiting for that lens, I'll have a perfect opportunity to practice manual focusing with a SMC M 28/2.8, which I got in a pretty good shape and practically for free. Just have to locate that green button...

Jari
Welcome to the slippery slope. There are a few lenses in between 21 and 70 you might want to ponder
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Jari
Wow, looks like your kit is shaping up nicely! With the kit, the 40 and the 70, and your free 28, you may be able to wait a bit before you go for the 21 ...but yes, it won't stop until you have them all

I love the FA limiteds, but the DA's are about half the weight, which can be nice--the DA40 on the K20 is almost unnoticeable.

Oh, and if you're not joking about the green button, it's the little one up by the shutter release.
01-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I was trying to make a joke, with my english... But thanks. I also suppose that it won't stop until I have all the pancakes collected - hope it stops there, at least for a while. I heard that there might be some 15 mm coming up...
01-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, I was trying to make a joke, with my english... But thanks. I also suppose that it won't stop until I have all the pancakes collected - hope it stops there, at least for a while. I heard that there might be some 15 mm coming up...
Jari, welcome at the forum and inside the Pentax community, too! May be, you should have a look at British or German web-shops to buy all the fine Pentax lenses? Finland is EU country, so no customs, duties, additional VAT to pay, when you buy here! I personally like Warehouseexpress in the UK, because they have a fixed maximum postage fee, which at the current low Pound exchange rate, is worth it, even for not too expensive items (just ordered the 16-50/2.8 from them). And here in Germany the prices are sure somewhat below what you are accustomed to:

Take for example the 50-135/2.8, which costs roughly 675 Euros:
fotokoch.de - Pentax DA 2,8/50-135 ED IF SDM E 67 21660
Foto Palme Online-Shop
Pentax 50-135 mm 2.8 ED - Foto Erhardt
(if you need help with German, just ask)

Otherwise, as you are concentrating on prime lenses, you might fill your gaps with some classics:
FA 50/1.4 and FA 35/2.0 (or the 31mm Limited)

which would fit nicely between your DA 21 and 70.

Also the old FA 24/2 might be of interest and can be found for below 500 Euros used. As alternatives (but hard to find) could the Kiron/Vivitar 24/2 A lenses be of interest to you.

Ben

01-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #24
nah

If you have an eBay account, I say you go with Prodigital2000 for the 50-135mm. I got mine for $840 CND including taxes and shipping, that is roughly 525 Euro.
01-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
If you have an eBay account, I say you go with Prodigital2000 for the 50-135mm. I got mine for $840 CND including taxes and shipping, that is roughly 525 Euro.
You are a Canadian resident. If you add the Finish VAT of 22% and additional customs duty, it is cheaper or at least comparable to buy inside the EU. And getting service under warranty is easier too.

EDIT: But I can recommend Prodigital2000 as a source for the 31mm Limited lens. I don't know why, but they sell this particular lens so cheap, that even after VAT etc. I saved around 200 Euros, compared to our EU prices... Most other lenses come out comparable or even more expensive, so Prodigital is known to include a "customer-friendly" invoice in the package, to help reduce customs duties...

Ben
01-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'd skip the 50 and get the DA70. It's a very good length for head & shoulders portraits. Another possibility if you want to do double-duty is the Sigma 70 macro though i personally own the DA70 and D-FA 100 Macro.
01-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again, all, especially Ben for links. Sadly (or gladly) I noticed that German stores sold the 21/3.2 at exactly same price as here in Finland. Warehouseexpress did not have that listed, but their price for 50/1.4 is very attractive... However, I'm going to buy 21/3.2 at the end of this week because I haven't been able to produce a good image with MF 28/2.8 - needs more practicing on that one. Or then the lens sucks, can't tell yet. So, after that I'll have the whole set, 21/3.2, 40/2.8 and 70/2.4 (plus the kit lens, of course) and I think that's enough for some time. Next it might be 100 macro, as Andrew suggested.
01-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
+1. I you came to take my lenses and gave me a choice of keeping one, it would be the 77. Others are more versatile, but imho the 77 is sublime.

That said, the 70 gets very high marks around here, and has quick shift focusing which can be useful.
+1. I have an FA-43 and an FA-31, and they are simply fantastic ... Now, i'm desperately saving to try to get an FA-77 before the next february price raise ...

Best regards
01-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks again, all, especially Ben for links. Sadly (or gladly) I noticed that German stores sold the 21/3.2 at exactly same price as here in Finland. Warehouseexpress did not have that listed, but their price for 50/1.4 is very attractive... However, I'm going to buy 21/3.2 at the end of this week because I haven't been able to produce a good image with MF 28/2.8 - needs more practicing on that one. Or then the lens sucks, can't tell yet. So, after that I'll have the whole set, 21/3.2, 40/2.8 and 70/2.4 (plus the kit lens, of course) and I think that's enough for some time. Next it might be 100 macro, as Andrew suggested.
My price examples were for the 50-135 only. The DA 21 could be had for 409 Euros + postage:
TeKaDe - Deutschlands und Österreichs Pentax Shop Nr. 1 - smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited pen_21

I don't know, whether this is any advantage over your local prices, but Tekade is a very reputable source for Pentax.

Ben
01-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Actually, there no real advantage: I bought one today for 439 euros from a real shop in Finland. However, I'll spare this TeKaDe link for future use. So, now I have all the lenses I wanted - time will tell if they were also those I needed...

Jari