Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Lens/Body Compatibility Chart Updated

We have updated the Pentax lens/body compatibility chart. A column for KAF3 mount (SDM only) lenses has been added, and the list of camera bodies has been augmented with the latest models.

Enjoy!

Please let me know if you find any errors and ommissions.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

01-04-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks Ole AND assistants we may not know about - this forum and the Pentax world/community would not be the same without all the hard work you guys put in.
01-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #3

Thanks Ole. This is indeed very helpful.
01-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #4

Looks good, Ole! Thanks!

11-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

At the top of the chart is the notation 'FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering'. I'm not sure what this is trying to say, but I have a FA 28-105, which does have an aperture ring, just like my "A" lenses do. And just like my "A" lenses, the aperture ring has an "A" position which causes the lens to behave just like a "DA" lens does. Are other "FA" lenses different?
11-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the reviews under " lenses " seem to have codes to indicate whether there is a aperture ring or not and an " A " setting or not

I don't have any FA lenses so I can't tell for sure
11-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
At the top of the chart is the notation 'FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering'. I'm not sure what this is trying to say, but I have a FA 28-105, which does have an aperture ring, just like my "A" lenses do. And just like my "A" lenses, the aperture ring has an "A" position which causes the lens to behave just like a "DA" lens does. Are other "FA" lenses different?
The F and FA "soft" lenses have an aperture ring, but do not have an "A" setting. This is because they operate in partial stop-down mode. Between f2.8-f4.5 (FA) and f2.8-f5.6 (F) on the 85mm lenses the aperture closes as you turn it so you can assess the soft-effect in the viewfinder as you compose your picture. Beyond this stop-down zone the aperture will stop-down as you take the picture.

So on a modern DSLR you need to use stop-down metering in Manual mode. I don't own one so cannot be sure but imagine you can use them in Av mode up to the limit of the soft zone (4.5-5.6).

Hopefully an owner can chime in here with a definitive answer.

ps. I have the "K" 85mm 2.2 Soft. It will work in Av mode throughout the aperture range as there is no partial stop-down range and the aperture will close down to any set f stop

Last edited by pschlute; 11-19-2018 at 08:59 AM.
11-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The F and FA "soft" lenses have an aperture ring, but do not have an "A" setting. This is because they operate in partial stop-down mode. Between f2.8-f4.5 (FA) and f2.8-f5.6 (F) the aperture closes as you turn it so you can assess the soft-effect in the viewfinder as you compose your picture. Beyond this stop-down zone the aperture will stop-down as you take the picture.

So on a modern DSLR you need to use stop-down metering in Manual mode. I don't own one so cannot be sure but imagine you can use them in Av mode up to the limit of the soft zone (4.5-5.6).

Hopefully an owner can chime in here with a definitive answer.

ps. I have the "K" 85mm 2.2 Soft. It will work in Av mode throughout the aperture range as there is no partial stop-down range and the aperture will close down to any set f stop
I believe the answer to my original question is that the sentence
'FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering'
should be interpreted as
'FA "soft" and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering' (*)
in other words, some FA and F lenses have an 'A' setting, while so-called "soft" lenses do not.
My problem in understanding the sentence was in thinking that the word "soft" goes with "F" only, while in fact it goes with both "FA" and "F".
My lens clearly is not "soft".

(*) I realized that only when you reversed the order in your restatement.
My undergraduate degree is in Mathematics. In both Mathematics and Computer Science, the word "AND" is very low in 'precedence', meaning that almost anything before/after "AND" stops applying when you hit the "AND", which is why I didn't understand that "soft" applied to "FA" as well as to "F".
Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 11-19-2018 at 09:11 AM. Reason: (*) footnote
11-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe the answer to my original question is that the sentence
'FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering'
should be interpreted as
'FA "soft" and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering' (*)
Ah, yes punctuation, and, context is, everything