Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2007, 01:31 AM   #1

Early LBA Victim - need help choosing a zoom :)

I've spent the past month going back and forth between the k100d and the k10d. Knowing that I'll be needing a camera in for the long haul (about 10 years O_O) and since I'll be going to the middle east once in a while (super dusty), I've chosen to go with the K10d.

First lens?
The standard Kit 18-55mm.

Second lens?
I'm currently watching ~15 auctions for a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 or 1.7 (probably going to go with the 1.7 to save a few $$$ - can't believe the disparity in price between the two is so great) - I just LOVE that creamy smooth bokeh both lenses produce - gonna' have to practice manual focusing though O_O

My closest friend who shoots (Ca___n EOS 20D ) said I should definitely go for a zoom. I don't plan on doing any sports photography (like he does), but I figure when shooting crowds, street signs, etc. (I live in Los Angeles after all), it might save me having to walk across the street or be "in the face" of someone simply trying to hop onto the Metro to work.

So...third lens?
The obvious first consideration was the
Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED
The $50 rebate makes it look mighty tempting (roughly around $150-170 from the cheapest I found on pricegrabber). The rebate ends this month so time's running out

Would anyone suggest NOT getting this lens and opting for a third party (Sigma, etc.) of similar or better quality and price? Or is it better to save the $150-$170 and use it on RAM or something else (Lightroom might run a bit better with more memory in my system :P).

Hefty post, I know - if you've read all of that, much of my gratitude to you

Thanks in advance - love this community!!!
God bless,
Jon

03-18-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everyone has their own preferences, of course. Mine is to go with a prime and then crop later as necessary. It means some missed shots, but I need something to slow me down so it works out well.
03-18-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Jon

Unless you want to compromise image quality and get a super zoom, I think the 18-55 + 50-200 combo is very good. If you want to go 3rd party (maybe because it is cheaper in your country or easier to find), you can go with Simga 17-70 + Sigma 70-300. Both have got good reviews from this forum.

With your 2nd lens choice, if you are looking for a cheap portrait lens, then get a A50/1.7 or A50/1.4 if you can find them as they are easier to operate. However if you are looking for a "normal/standard" lens, then have a look at some of the 28mm (FA28/2.8, M28/3.5) or 35mm lenses (FA35/2.0).

cheers
Kenny
03-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Get the 50~200. It is very sharp, well made, and compact. You will definately love it!
Next go for either the 10~17 FE zoom or the 12~24 zoom. Both are pricey but again are very high quality. Another WA zoom to consider is the Sigma 10~20. It has gotten some good reviews and may fit your extreme WA needs better than than the FE zoom if you don't like the barrel distortion of the FE lens.

Walt

03-20-2007, 02:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
"Wait"

for? :P

the rebate ends next Tuesday!

Should I jump for the 50-200mm within the week?

I've just purchased a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 (Gonna' have lots of fun [or frustration] working this one out). I'll also have the 18-55 kit lens.

2 lenses... more than enough to start off with - but do I cover all the bases now?
03-20-2007, 03:07 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by USCdeacon Quote
"Wait"

Jon, I believe that was "waLt", as in "Walter", not "waIt" as in "Waiting for Godot".
03-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've just purchased a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 (Gonna' have lots of fun [or frustration] working this one out). I'll also have the 18-55 kit lens.
You'll have fun.

My personal experience with the older lenses is that "A" lenses are very nice, since you have auto-exposure options available to you. But doing manual stop-down metering with the AE-L button is so ergonomically awkward that I far and away prefer passing over the "M" lenses in favor of M42 (screwmount) lenses. The optical quality ranges from very good to superb, and manual "metering" consists of spinning the aperture ring down while you enjoy an ongoing update of both DOF and shutter speed in the viewfinder. The only caveat is that you must be careful to get an adapter that sits flush with the camera body. If you get the sort with a flange on them you will lose the ability to focus to infinity.

03-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #8

Fight on, USC.

I had the 50mm M/1.7 and it was very nice. I think you will enjoy it, as long as you enjoy the manual focussing. But, you are correct on the smooth look. I did give it up recently for the FA50/1.4 and really like that as well.

I used it on my K100D and am having a ball.

Regarding the 50-200, I, too, am on the fence on that one. I know there is not much time for the rebate. If I decide on it, I know of a local camera shop with one of their shelf for $250. That is more than mail order, but it is local. (Unless this fellow Trojan buys it up here and ships it to you, saving you the sales tax.)

Jeff
03-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Wait"

Should I jump for the 50-200mm within the week?

2 lenses... more than enough to start off with - but do I cover all the bases now?
Jon, this rebate has been extended three or four times now. It was originally scheduled to expire last summer sometime. They've extended it in 2 month chunks of time ever since. I see no reason not to expect another extension. However take into consideration that my crystal ball has bad focusing flaws.

NaCl(anybody have a defloxymodulator I can borrow? I need to calibrate my crystal ball)H2O
03-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've spent the past month going back and forth between the k100d and the k10d. Knowing that I'll be needing a camera in for the long haul (about 10 years O_O) and since I'll be going to the middle east once in a while (super dusty), I've chosen to go with the K10d.

*snip*

So...third lens?
The obvious first consideration was the
Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED
The $50 rebate makes it look mighty tempting (roughly around $150-170 from the cheapest I found on pricegrabber). The rebate ends this month so time's running out

Would anyone suggest NOT getting this lens and opting for a third party (Sigma, etc.) of similar or better quality and price? Or is it better to save the $150-$170 and use it on RAM or something else (Lightroom might run a bit better with more memory in my system :P).

God bless,
Jon
Hi Jon, I'm not a big fan of the 50-200. I've had two different copies of this lens and both have had infinity focus issues. It's OK for anything up to about 200 meters away, after that it gets pretty soft, or at least my copies have. I'd suggest the 28-105 f3.2-4.5 instead. Reach isn't as far but it's quality is much better. It is still being made and can also be found on eek bay and KEH fairly frequently.

NaCl(my thoughts anyway)H2O
03-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

As a former Venice Beach resident...

I can understand you wanting to take a lot of people shots. Buy the 50/1.7 and nothing else for two months. Go out with the 50 for a half day then switch to the kit lens for the other half. Look at what you get and determine if your style lends itself to zoom or primes. My style would be 3 primes. The 28/3.5, 43 LTD or 50/1.7, and the 85/1.9, but that's just me. I might throw in the 135/3.5, it's small and easy to use.

The important thing is to find your style and yes I'm just an old Hippie.

Regards,

Last edited by regken; 03-20-2007 at 08:35 AM.
03-24-2007, 01:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
thank you all for your wonderful advice

I decided to hold off on the 50-200 lens and experiment with the 18-55 and the M50mm/1.7 prime. Hopefully I won't regret this in the future

thanks again & God bless,
Jon
03-24-2007, 04:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED[/B]

You might consider the sigma 70-200 F2.8. I know it is expensive and big, but it is very fast and very sharp.
03-24-2007, 04:12 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Hi Jon,
I'm going t5o add my $.02 here.
I have been holding off on so many other lenses because my focal lengths are covered for the most part by the 18-55 kit ( a very nice sharp lens BTW) and the 50-200 ( I use more of this lens than any other.) I have the Zenitar 16mm f2.8 and a M 28mm f2.8 and two 50mm, the M 50 f2 (it's nice but) and the M 50mm f1.7 ( which I fully enjoy using because of the results) I also have an off the wall Gemni 80-200mm (also manual and cheep). Except for the Zenitar and My DA lenses I never paid more then $50.00 for my 50's and the 28 and the 80-200. I have found all these lenses to be just what I want and all tack sharp. Unless you have lots of cash you want to spend watch EEK bay and also try Cameta Cameras on line used dept. They have So many great buys.
But just my $.02. Enjoy the LBA and keep your cash and plastic where it's meant to be. (IYP)