Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

Lens dilemma.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just started out with a K200d body only kit, as I have a 50mm f/2 ricoh and a 500mm f/8 mirror lens.

I'm looking to upgrade my collection, and I am wondering which way I should go. I'd really like to get a wide-angle lens, though I am fairly tight on cash so I think any AF lens is out of the question. If I can save enough money on the wide angle lens, I'd consider getting a Nikon/K mount adaptor for a 200mm f/3.3 mf lens I have but I'd like some input on this.

Should I just get a zoom thats decently wide? Or stick with primes?

01-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go the Frenchy's (it's a Canadian thing) and buy a Bella Clava. Then find a nice major bank and have the getaway car ready....

Primes almost always have the best optical qualities but are generally a little more expensive (new) and are less flexible. But they are often but not always faster and can be more creative than zooms

I would recommend you wait a bit and save for the right lens. Getting a stop over lens will usually just cost you money when you upgrade. If the lens isn't really the one you want/need, then you will upgrade at some point and you've wasted the initial money spent. It usually happens the day you missed a shot you really wanted to get right and it looks blurry.

I would save and keep checking the marketplace for a DA16-45mm. The other thing you could do is pick up an DA18-55mm which is a very good lens for the low $$.

As for the Nikon to K adapter. None exists. Some Nikon lenses will fit somewhat loosely on a K mount camera directly but they don't often work very well.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-03-2009 at 08:28 PM.
01-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Btw, nice to see another Pentax shooter from my home town. You might want to add your name to the following for some future meet ups.

PentaxForums.com - Atlantic Canada
01-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Peter, look for a 16-45. They really aren't that expensive. Mine will be on the marketplace soon if you have some patience, will be selling the remaining Pentax gear soon...

01-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a tough question to answer Pif not knowing what you like to shoot etc.
When I first got my K10D I started looking on Ebay and in our marketplace here for older Takumars (require an adapter) K series, M Series and A series lenses. There are some great deals to be had. If you want to go wider I would recommend a M 28/3.5. They turn up often and usually go for around 50 to 60 bucks. Great lens if you don't mind MF and using the green button to meter. I love mine. The A series lenses usually go for a bit more because you can control their aperture on the camera body. Check out the lens review database for reviews.
I recommend the A 35~105/3.5 macro if you want a really nice Pentax zoom, they usually go for around $150. If you're willing to do a bit of research you can find about anything you need for a basic kit.
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another vote for the 16-45, as you can get one used for less than $250. On top of that, it's a great lens, to boot.

Whether you prefer to shoot with zooms or primes is a highly personal thing. I like to have a combination of both around so I can pick and choose based on what I want to shoot and how much I want to carry.

From what you said in your OP, I'm assuming that you're new to DSLRs, so in addition to a wider angle zoom, I would also recommend picking up an inexpensive longer zoom. Depending on how tele you want to go, there are a couple of good choices that can be had for under $150, used: the DA50-200 or the Tamron 70-300. Shoot with the 2 zooms for a while so you can figure out which focal lengths you use the most; once you've figured that out, then you'll have a better idea of how you want to build your kit, whether it be upgrading your zooms or adding some primes, or a combination of both.

HTH,
Heather
01-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
Pif

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As for the Nikon to K adapter. None exists. Some Nikon lenses will fit somewhat loosely on a K mount camera directly but they don't often work very well.
I beg to differ Sir. Nikon lens to Pentax K10d k20d k100d k200d DS adapter - eBay (item 110315755981 end time Jan-20-09 15:45:02 PST)

01-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
Pif

Original Poster
I think I may have jumped a bit too soon, but I just committed to buying a Vivitar 28 f/2.8 with a 70 - 150MM, manual, F3.8 thrown in for $50. Should have them both on Friday.

I'm not sure if I should have, but it's too late to back out now.
01-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That's great Pif. I stand corrected!

I had looked for something like this a year or so and never found one (I had a few Nikon lenses I wanted to try out). I wonder how well this works though with the correction lens? The register distance on a Nikon is 46.5mm and a Pentax is 45.46mm. Add the thickness of the adapter and the lens looses infinity focus. I'd have to assume the correction lens wouldn't be as good as the lens is capable of alone.
01-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pif Quote
I think I may have jumped a bit too soon, but I just committed to buying a Vivitar 28 f/2.8 with a 70 - 150MM, manual, F3.8 thrown in for $50.
Sounds like a good deal. Check out my thread on Vivitar 28mm lenses. There are so many different ones it makes my head spin. Those that are f/2 are generally great to shoot with starting at f/2.8. Those that are f/2.8 are better stopped down two. All are well worth the pittance they cost.

Oh, and let me stand in line to sing the praises of the DA16-45mm.
01-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
Pif

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Sounds like a good deal. Check out my thread on Vivitar 28mm lenses. There are so many different ones it makes my head spin. Those that are f/2 are generally great to shoot with starting at f/2.8. Those that are f/2.8 are better stopped down two. All are well worth the pittance they cost.

Oh, and let me stand in line to sing the praises of the DA16-45mm.
What a thread! Looks like the 28 viv is a very capable lens!
01-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pif Quote
.... getting a Nikon/K mount adaptor for a 200mm f/3.3 mf lens I have but I'd like some input on this. ....
Commercially available nikon->pentax adapters all seem to have a lens which might be bad for optics & aperture; I'd really like to see some data on their performance. If there is little degradation I'd likely buy such an adapter as there are lots of good nikon lenses out there.

Until then, It is practical to make a DIY nikon F -> Pentax K gender change. The flange-sensor distance for the nikon is 46.5mm while that for the pentax is 45.5mm, giving one a whole millimeter to play with.

Get a Get an m42-pentax K adapter with a flange: remove the nikon's bayonet & replace it with the pentax bayonet. You might have to figure out how to make the aperture work mechanically - but that'll likely be easy.

Dave

PS I just did a gender change from Olympus OM -> Pentax K on a Soligor 200/2.8. It was easy.