Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Don't give the lens too much credit. Those shots look professional.
Thanks haha! But really the lens is just very well-built, compact, sharp, renders great and focuses very fast compared to the 16-50 I had

01-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Diego, those shots are fantastic. I usually hate flash, but this shot makes me re-think:

Thanks for the kind words I was in the same boat as you Jay, but there's so much you can do with flash when you take the time to study and play around with it. I love that it can "compress" the dynamic range of some shots I have in mind that won't be possible with both film and DSLRs too!
01-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
wow, very excellent looking results!
Thanks for the kind words, buddy
01-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
No doubt, incredible shots!

Well, I don't "hate" flash and I find uses for it but I've never even approached this level of expertise. Diego, these are beautiful shots and thank you for sharing.
It seems people are really divided on this lens. After seeing these pictures you've convinced me, it is now No.1 on my "to buy" list.
I just got back from another 2-day trip and I'm really surprised and happy for the number of compliments for the photos! Thanks, buddy

01-08-2009, 02:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

pcarfan > Yup I was able to expose with 1/160 (sun was already below the horizon I believe, that's when there's usually a 5-10 minute window of the most amazing magic happens) and I use ISO400 most of the time when shooting group portraits with my strobes to maximize power, since I'm gonna have to move my strobes quite far away to keep them out of the frame. Yup you got the location of one of the strobes right!

Lighting info on that shot is 1 strobe (half power I think) in a silver umbrella feathered to the left and up to get even lighting on us (family) and to get that nice vignette effect on the sand to "seal" the edges. Another strobe on camera left with a gobo (to prevent flare) and slightly behind us to give more separation. I love cross-lighting outdoors. Lastly the strobes were gelled 1/2 CTO on the key light and 1/4 CTO in the fill I believe.

Andrew > Thanks! I love that shot too! Moments like those with my crazy friends are just precious, I just had to play around with the color treatment etc

axl > Oh I totally get your predicament. I had the 10-20 when I was using Nikon and it was by far my favorite lens. It's just humungous though and the DA21 is more of a walkaround lens for me. The DA21 is quite a lot sharper wide open though and I just love pushing in tight with it! I'm tempted to save up for the 10-20 for my landscapes but I'll wait a bit and just enjoy my current gear and see if an 11-26 shows up and how the DA15 is when it's available

Here are some of my favorites with the 10-20 (sorry they were shot with a nikon):

farfisa > Yup you pretty much got it! That's me in the photo wearing black shorts! I used a Pentax remote that my buddy lent me, with a 3-sec delay hehe!

Last edited by soccerjoe5; 01-08-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Added 10-20 samples
01-08-2009, 04:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Here are 2 other photos with the DA21 that I took during that same trip:

My Aunt Ixi with her tattoos and wine:

Father and son: my good buddy with his dad:
01-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
RaduA

Diego, somehow I managed to ignore this thread until now. I may say I am very impressed with the pics you posted and they are a great advertising for what this little lens can do.

Very nice job, my friend!
Radu
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Diego, somehow I managed to ignore this thread until now. I may say I am very impressed with the pics you posted and they are a great advertising for what this little lens can do.

Very nice job, my friend!
Radu
Thank you Radu

01-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Soccerjoe5,

It is really an eye opener to see what the 21mm limited can do. Thank you in sharing all the wonderful photos. I often wonder what DA* 16-50 can do in the 21mm focal length for all the pictures shared in this thread.

Due to the frequent complaints of bad lemons with DA* 16-50. I have been staying away from that very capable lens. I ended up having the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 as a interim replacement. It has served me well but I am sure the 21mm prime is no doubt a better lens for the wide angle shot.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-08-2009 at 12:32 PM.
01-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Soccerjoe5,

It is really an eye opener to see what the 21mm limited can do. Thank you in sharing all the wonderful photos. I often wonder what DA* 16-50 can do in the 21mm focal length for all the pictures shared in this thread.

Due to the frequent complaints of bad lemons with DA* 16-50. I have been staying away from that very capable lens. I ended up having the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 as a interim replacement. It has served me well but I am sure the 21mm prime is no doubt a better lens for the wide angle shot.

Hin
Thank you so much Hin

I had a really good copy of the 16-50 that I sold to fund the limiteds that I use, and honestly I missed it quite a bit in my recent outdoors trips. Someday I'll get those DA* lenses again.

Diego
01-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #26
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Soccerjoe5,

Hin
Hi, Hin!

I was kind of curious about this and my empirical testing showed that my copies of each are pretty close in resolution but a tad different in rendering with the zoom darker.
IMHO the DA21 is the best landscape renderer I ever saw and the DA*16-50 my most versatile and complete lens.

Regards,
Radu
01-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Hi, Hin!

I was kind of curious about this and my empirical testing showed that my copies of each are pretty close in resolution but a tad different in rendering with the zoom darker.
I notice the same general trend between my 77ltd and 50-135*. The zoom, while incredibly sharp, tends to just have a bit of a darker feel to it under equivalent conditions.
01-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #28
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I notice the same general trend between my 77ltd and 50-135*. The zoom, while incredibly sharp, tends to just have a bit of a darker feel to it under equivalent conditions.
I think one reasonable explanation lies in the vastly bigger number of elements/groups from a zoom as oposed to a prime. Although the coatings are very good the light won't get thru 100% and the loss is building up. For this example (DA*16-50 vs DA21) we have 15 elements / 12 groups vs 8/5 for the prime.

Radu
01-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

there's that pesky physics again, rearing its ugly head.
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I finally got mine just this afternoon and went out to take a few obligatory LBA shots. Obviously, the pics are nothing special, but I can already tell that I'm going to like this lens.

Heather