Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My limited experience with the DA21. NO IMAGES SORRY.

I got this lens just prior to my family's new year's party. I wanted a wider angle companion to my FA 43 for indoor shots and wanted it to be small for easy switching.

Overall I am very happy with the results. Both the 43 and 21 has magical rendition. the 21's shows up less frequently than the 43. I just have to learn to use it properly to get more of the magical rendering with the 21, but it's definitely there.

Both sharpen very easy with PS (unsharp and smart sharp) more than my 18-250.

If there was a shot that was bad, then it was mostly because of bad technique with the exposure and flash, and not because of the lens. The IQ looked close from both the 43 and 21, and that's saying a lot about the 21. Of course the 21 cannot do what the 43 can at f2.2 close up's, or full face shots at F5.6, but for group shots it is close to the 43. Then again, with the 21, it feels like you are there inside the room as opposed to a high IQ image. The images pop and due to wideangle it feels like being there.

Also, one gets spoiled by these lenses and forget how good they are. I got used to the 43 and first I thought the images weren't as good as I was getting when I first switched from the 18-250 to 43. I compared thses to the previous ones to realize the images are still as good as before, but I've gotten used to the superb quality and I am taking them for regular shots now.

Using the flash (Pentax 540) and getting the exposure right with my K10D was the biggest challenge.

I would say that 50% of my images can be gotten from most zooms, mostly due to the technique being sub par (I think), 20% not too good (technique or the image itself), 30% the 18-250 cannot even imagine producing.

Bot the 21 and 43 are small enough to be kept in my trouser pocket, and I was easily able to switch between the two. So, the DA21 and FA43 are excellent pairs, and I am very pleased with them. The 18-250 will shortly go on the market, interested parties keep an eye out for it.

P.S: Sorry no images, as I don't like to put family shots on the web.

Last edited by pcarfan; 01-04-2009 at 08:02 PM.
01-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm sure some will follow.
It's a great little lens!
01-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If anybody else is looking for sample images, click here:
Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Now that the DA35 is sold, I'll be getting the DA21 soon.

Heather
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Dan
Pentaxian

the DA21 is a great lens

I have used various 20mm lenses from Pentax and Nikon (including the well-regarded 8-element AIS Nikkor). I have also used a number of very good zooms that cover this focal length. Based on my experience, I would say that the DA21 is the most underrated, underappreciated lens in the Pentax lineup. It is not easy to make a lens with sharp corners at this focal length. Perhaps I have an unusually good copy, but I find the lens to be superb. Great contrast and superb corners for this focal length. It does require a CA adjustment to get the most out of the corners--which I have "automated" in ACR--but the CA cleans up nicely, and then, "oooh lah lah"! There is also some barrel distortion, but of a type that is also easy to correct (in those rare cases where it matters). I only hope that the upcoming DA15 is as good.

Dan

01-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've just been on a week-long trip to one of the beaches here, spent new years there, and 90% of the time I was using the DA21. LOVE it

Here are some of the photos I took that trip:

Amazing skies. This was our first sunset. ZERO PP here, just cropped. WB was spot on, that's exactly how the sky looked:

Calm waters:

Crazy car rides:

Bangka/boat rides:

And here's my family with our dogs:
01-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I've just been on a week-long trip to one of the beaches here, spent new years there, and 90% of the time I was using the DA21. LOVE it
Don't give the lens too much credit. Those shots look professional.
01-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Diego, those shots are fantastic. I usually hate flash, but this shot makes me re-think:

01-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
If anybody else is looking for sample images, click here:
Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Now that the DA35 is sold, I'll be getting the DA21 soon.

Heather
I just got the DA35 from ebay. But now the 21mm looks really tempting :-)
01-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
wow, very excellent looking results!
01-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 limited

DA 21mm is a beautiful lens. Enjoy it.

A great companion in traveling
It opens new windows to landscape
when you meet new places

I wish it is a bit faster as in f/2.8 and it would be better suited for indoor use.

Thanks,
Hin
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Don't give the lens too much credit. Those shots look professional.
No doubt, incredible shots!

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Diego, those shots are fantastic. I usually hate flash, but this shot makes me re-think:

Well, I don't "hate" flash and I find uses for it but I've never even approached this level of expertise. Diego, these are beautiful shots and thank you for sharing.
It seems people are really divided on this lens. After seeing these pictures you've convinced me, it is now No.1 on my "to buy" list.
01-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fantastic images. The family portraity is indeed spectacular, you were able to expose the background with 1/160,...cool. Do you routinely use iso 400 with the flash ? K20d is better in that regard.

Also, did you fire the flash from a flash stand to the right ?

Thanks.
01-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The beach group portrait is pretty cool but by far my favorite is 'crazy car rides'.
01-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

I was pondering purchasing of DA21ltd for a while now. And I still can't make my mind up. It does seem to be excellent lens by all means, but...
It's tooo close to Sigma 10-20 in terms of focal range!!!! Although it's 1&2/3 stop faster than Sigma at 20mm and much more portable. But I just don't think I'd take it for photographic outing... I don't know...
Anyway, some great shots here
01-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, the car rides one is classic!

I love the way the DA21 handles people--it's not too wide to distort, but gives people a different look.

...okay back to that beach portrait, I think we'll be needing a master class, Diego!

Looks like there's at least one off camera flash, a big one to the right and a small fill, back left... and did you actually get in the photo yourself? (Sorry, tough to tell from your small avatar photo, but it looks like you from where I'm sitting!)