Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA, FA, what-eh?

So I just recently got myself a Pentax K20D with the 18-55mm DA II Kit Lens and I'm looking around at all the others.

Not only am I new to the world of Pentax camera's but I'm also new to the world of DSLR.

Now what I would like to know is what is the difference in the range of lenses? What's the difference between DA and FA? Why is one called FA-J? etc etc.

It's sort of hard on one's google-fu to attempt to find anything to explain the above. So hopefully you guys can help me out.

01-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Check out the Pentax Lens review section of this forum. There's a lot of lens reviews, but I think it'll give you an idea of what each 'family' of lenses does.

Actually, I did manage to google a site that did specify all the differences between the different lenses... let me find it...Here we go:

Pentax Lenses Explained.html

This site and reading all the lens reviews gave me an idea for what I was looking at. Good luck on your lens buying!
01-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

DA and DA* lenses are for "digital only", i.e., cameras with the smaller cropped sensor, such as the K100D, K10D and K20D. The image circle is matches the smaller sensor, and will cause dark corners (vignetting) if uses with larger sensors.

The bottom half of this page may help if you really want to know the differences.

Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features

Ah, the one posted above is better...
01-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cheers guys - now I understand