Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #1

n00b question: How to examine a lens for haze?

First off, this forum is just awesome. Because of all the great information on this site, I'm ready to confidently venture into manual focus zooms and primes.

I'm kind of stumped trying to find a method for detecting whether a lens has haze. I've found on other parts of the forum how to tell whether a lens has fungus or dust, but I can't find very much info on how to detect haze. Is there some easy way to tell? The best I could come up with is shining a pen light laterally across the lens and looking for a hazy "coating" that obscures the image on the other end of the lens. Any advice?

Thanks,
Kevin

01-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would hold the lens up in front of a dark background and shine a bright light on it, first from the front and then from the back. Ideally, you'll see no change in what's visible through the lens (which should be a dark circle if you're holding it in front of a dark background). Haze or any other foreign objects should show up as lighter areas or specks under the glare of the light.
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It can also be seen by shining a light from one end and looking throught the other end with the aperture wide open. Use both methods for haze as well as fungus.

I've found lens with haze on the inner and outer elements, some with haze acoss the whole element and a few with just the inner portion of the element clear.

If you have a chance to inspect a lens prior to buying bring a flashlight with you, It's prevented me from buying more than a few lens from Craigslists sellers here.