Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Found some good leather lens bags, finally.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

You know, its one of those things you don't think much about until you can't find them. When I bought my FA31, I used the leather bag all the time. Just a little buffer and peace of mind for the good glass. I ended up sharing that pouch around quite a bit for whatever lens was riding shotgun in the camera bag until I sold my 31. Then I realized there wasn't much out there in the way of after-market fitted leather bags for lenses. Having the pouch fit the lens means the lens still fits the bag, so I was very pleased to find this guy.

He's based in Hong Kong and among other things, makes custom sheep skin leather pouches for under $20/piece. He offered me a deal when I ordered 5 of them for various lenses and shipping was free.

I'm not affiliated with this fellow, but I was pretty happy to find his product, and service was top notch.

eBay Store - oneoscom: Bag for lens:

My new pouches and some shiny classics I want to keep shiny and classic.

The inside is a slick, soft nylon - no fibers = happy lenses.

yay!

K.

01-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey those look good! Bookmarked him. Thanks for sharing!

Diego
01-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, thanks for the source. I have several lenses that are sitting naked on a shelf for want of a pouch or case.

Steve
01-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! I already wondered how you all kept your lenses in perfect condition when getting out... I will order some of these bags for my unprotected ones.

Your deal: mentioning the link to us?

01-06-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for this link!!! I want these bags so badly. Good spotting for this link!
01-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Good find, it's a shame they don't come in different colours to make identification easier without opening.
01-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Good find, it's a shame they don't come in different colours to make identification easier without opening.

It looks quite simple to replace the black cord with a coloured one: each lens its own colour....

01-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
It looks quite simple to replace the black cord with a coloured one: each lens its own colour....
Yeah I thought of that but i like coloured leather.
01-06-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Adorama "Slinger" cases. B1010P Adorama Slinger Soft Lens Case Small, 5" High x 86mm Diameter, Black. Since they are padded I've taken out all the internal dividers in my bags and just use the lens cases. It actually saves space, I can usually get one more lens in my 300AW lowepro Sling shot by just using the lens cases. Being padded they offer excellent protection, with the added benefit of having velcro straps to attach to a belt or the shoulder strap of your bag if you find yourself switching frequently between 2 or 3 lenses. The other nice thing is that since the top is flat you can put a piece of tape on it and label the lens inside. They come in three sizes.

NaCl(and I find a zipper more convenient than a cinch cord too)H2O
01-06-2009, 05:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Cool I'll be ordering some as well. Thanks for the link.

Is that chrome lens a 105mm or the 83mm? I've seen this only once before I think and wondered how these early 1950's lenses performed. Beautiful copy you have there.
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No problem all! Always happy to read-up on the tips, tricks & suggestions everyone has, glad I was able to reciprocate.

Thanks! I already wondered how you all kept your lenses in perfect condition when getting out... I will order some of these bags for my unprotected ones.

Your deal: mentioning the link to us?
I should have thought of that before I ordered, heh. I asked if there could be a discount for multiple items and he took off 10%.

Now my quest is to find a gold paint pen and a stencil. I'm going to write the lens on the side of the bag. Having said that, my lenses have a regular place in my camera bag. I'll know where to reach to get the right lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Cool I'll be ordering some as well. Thanks for the link.

Is that chrome lens a 105mm or the 83mm? I've seen this only once before I think and wondered how these early 1950's lenses performed. Beautiful copy you have there.
Thanks Peter. Its a Zeiss Jena 75/1.5 Biotar with a home made Exacta - K-mount adapter at its base (made by a fellow named Luis Alegria in SF). I waited like a vulture over ebay to find one in the condition I desired. As soon as it came up I made an offer to the guy before there was even a bid on it and snapped it up.

I just posted a few more pics with it this morning -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27552-zeiss-je...iotar-m42.html

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I use the Adorama "Slinger" cases. B1010P Adorama Slinger Soft Lens Case Small, 5" High x 86mm Diameter, Black. Since they are padded I've taken out all the internal dividers in my bags and just use the lens cases. It actually saves space, I can usually get one more lens in my 300AW lowepro Sling shot by just using the lens cases. Being padded they offer excellent protection, with the added benefit of having velcro straps to attach to a belt or the shoulder strap of your bag if you find yourself switching frequently between 2 or 3 lenses. The other nice thing is that since the top is flat you can put a piece of tape on it and label the lens inside. They come in three sizes.

NaCl(and I find a zipper more convenient than a cinch cord too)H2O
Thats a good idea! Tbh, two of these 2-ply pouches, side by side offer a level of buffer I'm ok with. I just took the divider out on one side where it was necessary.

What the heck, might as well post a pic of this too now -

On the left, the Biotar and Trioplan. In the middle, the K10 w/T*85. On the right, the T*25 & Nokton w/hoods on.

One of the smaller Tamracs. Very compact. (I removed the labels)

Kelly.
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Kelly It's really amazing how what would appear to be the simplest thing is actually a big deal. I currently use those crappy Ebay pouches with the felt inside. lots of fuzz crap to get on the lens or inside the camera. This solves that.

The Zeiss takes a sweet image. Wow. The chassis looks very much like the very old (early 1950's) polished Takumars. Have a look near the bottom of the following page for the (1952) 100mm f3.5 Takumar. It looks a lot like the Zeiss. Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

You can see the 5 polished versions on this page near the top: Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

The links here look the same but they are different.
01-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Kelly It's really amazing how what would appear to be the simplest thing is actually a big deal. I currently use those crappy Ebay pouches with the felt inside. lots of fuzz crap to get on the lens or inside the camera. This solves that.

The Zeiss takes a sweet image. Wow. The chassis looks very much like the very old (early 1950's) polished Takumars. Have a look near the bottom of the following page for the (1952) 100mm f3.5 Takumar. It looks a lot like the Zeiss. Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

You can see the 5 polished versions on this page near the top: Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

The links here look the same but they are different.
Its true. In the end, I debated whether or not to declare that my FA31 would include the leather pouch when it sold. But, it forced my hand. Necessity is the mother of invention and for me, that means google - and voila

I've referred to the page of which you speak during my continuing quest for one of those early Takumars. I can see the resemblance to the 83, certainly. It seems they are a rare breed though, hard to find. I wonder if anyone here has one these very early examples?

K.
01-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coloured leather

Yeah I thought of that but i like coloured leather.
Hope this one is not banned, but I couldn't resist. Not sure it's a Pentax shot though...
Attached Images

01-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hope this one is not banned, but I couldn't resist. Not sure it's a Pentax shot though...
In this instance, I could appreciate having different color leather cases. I'd hate to mix up a name

K.