Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
New Pentaxian

Hi everybody!

I have just picked up a near new k20d for a song and have decided based on some preliminary research that it could def be the way to go.

I now need to get a few lenses.

foremost i need something around 50mm (43 is ok ) to shoot fashion in the studio and most importantly capture band shots in dimly lit pubs and clubs. i hear its prob either the 43mm limited or the 1.4 50mm am i right?

It will need to be very sharp wide open. (sub 2.0) can you tell me which lens will do me proudest please? vignetting if minor is ok.

Thanks

01-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

It sounds like a 1.4 is the way to go for you. Pentax's 50mm 1.4 is a great quality lens and excellent value too. Also, Sigma make a 30mm 1.4 which is very popular in the kind of work you are talking about. It has a wider view which is especially helpful in smaller venues but is still fast enough.
The 43mm is not as good in low light and costs quite a bit more, but its an excellent performer and would make great quality photographs for studio/fashion work.

Good luck!
01-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice!

Bought a 30mm, cant wait to give it a blast.

What is the sharpest lens to suit the pentax?
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

try this post, it's definitely a very subjective matter
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/30179-sharpest...face-down.html

01-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
cheers seems like the sigma will be ideal for the bands (sharp wide open)

which lens will be sharp in the studio for shooting fashion? (models and product)

im thinking something around 50mm it would be nice if it could double as a strong lens for bands (sharp when wide) but studio sharp is the priority (sharpest centre the major issue)

very interested to hear all feedback

cheers
01-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

One thing to keep in mind when shooting bands in clubs: shooting in low light normally means not only wide apertures, but also high ISO. Also slow enough shutter speeds that you're never completely eliminating subject motion. The effects of high ISO and subject motion tend to rob shots of detail, so you aren't normally taking full advantage of a lens' shaprness. Sharper lenses are still better than less sharp ones at high ISO, but the differences can become blurred (so to speak) by the effects of shooting high ISO, to the point where it's perhaps not worth obsessing about what the sharpest lens is. If it's the right focal length and is reaosnably fast, that's all that really matters in practice in this type of photogaphy.

For me, 30mm is way too wide to be useful very often, and 50mm isn't really long enough for me either. 100mm is more like it. But my preference is closeups of individual musicians, not shots of the whole stage.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 01-08-2009 at 01:17 PM.
01-08-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club.
BR