Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I never meant to imply "magnification" just "field of view." I hope that doesn't create any confusion.

I see reviews of cameras and lenses which always say something like "equal to Xmm in 35mm" which is strange to think about. Pentax seems to be playing with the field of view by changing the actual focal length of the lens.

Like...why no new fast 85? Because they feel the DA* 55 covers that field of view.

...for example. That's what I meant to say. Does that make sense? lol

01-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #182
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Yes, I never meant to imply "magnification" just "field of view." I hope that doesn't create any confusion.

I see reviews of cameras and lenses which always say something like "equal to Xmm in 35mm" which is strange to think about. Pentax seems to be playing with the field of view by changing the actual focal length of the lens.

Like...why no new fast 85? Because they feel the DA* 55 covers that field of view.

...for example. That's what I meant to say. Does that make sense? lol
Pentax leads the way about the focal length confusion. The omit the part about FOV and mislead many people to think a 300mm lens will be longer on an aps-c body.

This is from the Pentax site describing the DA* 300mm:

QuoteQuote:
The focal length is equivalent to 450mm in the 35mm format.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_DA_Star_300mm_F4_ED(IF)_SDM/

I don't know what their marketing and web people are thining.
01-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #183
Pentaxian

You know, I don't get why marketing does that either. FoV does make sense...but...it seems confusing to new users. I've heard some great explanations to new photographers, and some really bad ones...
01-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
You know, I don't get why marketing does that either. FoV does make sense...but...it seems confusing to new users. I've heard some great explanations to new photographers, and some really bad ones...
Best explanations I've heard are that 1) most people currently shooting DSLRs came from 35mm film, and having the film FOV available as a point of reference is helpful to them, and 2) different sized sensors will have different crop factors, and the 35mm film 'effective' number gives a standard unchanging reference point.

01-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #185
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Best explanations I've heard are that 1) most people currently shooting DSLRs came from 35mm film, and having the film FOV available as a point of reference is helpful to them, and 2) different sized sensors will have different crop factors, and the 35mm film 'effective' number gives a standard unchanging reference point.

I get that but Pentax flat states that the focal length of a 300mm is 450mm on the K20D or K200d etc. That is flat wrong. Maybe something got lost in translation but I highly doubt it.

Edit: And the blood of a lot of kittens will be on Pentax's hands!
01-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #186
Pentaxian

Exactly Blue...I heard a salesman say "this lens becomes xxmm when on this camera...what you see is actually zoomed in" etc

I went So close to saying something but didn't want to be rude.

On the bright side...at least I know one salesman who knows what he's talking about in this city (thankfully) and I know he'll explain things well