Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is this DA*16-50mm good or bad?
Keep it -- it's good. 2388.46%
Return it or send it in for repair. 311.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #301

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
It took me 4 copies to get a good one. Now, I didn't do any newspaper tests, I just shot my normal subject matter at various F-Stops & examined the results. The last (#4) one I got was sharp wide open & got better from there at all focal lengths.

Good luck & let us know what Pentax says, when I called they wanted me to send the lens & my K10D together for examination. That didn't happen I just kept exchanging the lens until i got a good one ;-)
I find it ironic that Pentax is coming out with a II version of their kit lens, which is one of the best lenses for the price out there. A DA*16-50 II is desperately needed. Meanwhile, if I recall correctly, Benjamin K mentioned he had a second generation (or something like that) DA*16-50 that I haven't heard boo about since. Edit: From 1/8/08 (benjikan): "Just received my new generation Pentax 16-50 DA* Lens in return for my older first generation. The difference to my eyes is quite startling."

If there is some new generation DA* 16-50 lens (i.e. one that works), I think it is Pentax's obligation to let its customer base know about it and acknowledge that they ****ed up on the first generation DA*16-50 and to offer to replace everyone's lame first generation * lens with a new second generation * lens.

Last edited by Tbear; 01-25-2008 at 07:53 AM.
01-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #302
Veteran Member

If II version comes out, this is really too soon for people who own Da* 16-50/2.8; we are not buying inferior copies, surviving with the lenses and then discovered the lenses were already outdated, depreciating real quick!

If this is the way pentax does business by releasing newer version so quickly, consumer faith would even go down. Finally there is a proportion of users that are happy. Please do not make them hate Pentax too.
01-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #303

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
If II version comes out, this is really too soon for people who own Da* 16-50/2.8; we are not buying inferior copies, surviving with the lenses and then discovered the lenses were already outdated, depreciating real quick!

If this is the way pentax does business by releasing newer version so quickly, consumer faith would even go down. Finally there is a proportion of users that are happy. Please do not make them hate Pentax too.
First of all, If you look at the sum total of all my posts, you can easily see that I don't hate Pentax, quite the contrary is true. Second of all, even if I wanted to (which I don't), I couldn't make people hate or like Pentax. People will weigh the available data and make an informed decision. I'll say it again for your benefit. I know there are many people who are very happy with their DA*16-50. I am happy for you and others that are satisfied with what they got for their hard-earned money. Weighing all available evidence, it seems to me that the percent of lemons of this lens is extraordinarily high, particularly for a * or limited lens (which I lump together as the finest lenses that Pentax makes). Since your copy of the lens works well, you obviously are not going to agree with that statement. That is ok, you don't need to agree. Again, I am glad that your lens works well for you.
01-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #304
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you going to review this in our lens review database? I hope you will. I'm not planning on buying that lens now, but something in that range will be in my plans a year from now. It would be nice to see reviews like this along side the other reviews. It has great reviews right now, and it doesn't look like anybody has problems with it from the review database here. Please, at least for me to remember a year from now, go review this lens and let people know that there are some bad ones out there. Maybe at least people will request second generation, if you can do that, lenses if they decide to buy it.

01-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #305

QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
Are you going to review this in our lens review database? I hope you will. I'm not planning on buying that lens now, but something in that range will be in my plans a year from now. It would be nice to see reviews like this along side the other reviews. It has great reviews right now, and it doesn't look like anybody has problems with it from the review database here. Please, at least for me to remember a year from now, go review this lens and let people know that there are some bad ones out there. Maybe at least people will request second generation, if you can do that, lenses if they decide to buy it.
That is an interesting question, Travis. I am not sure at this point. I had a long discussion with a manager at Pentax USA today about my two dud DA*16-50 lenses. We have come to a good understanding, I believe, however, he needs to consult with an even higher superior on Monday (he wasn't in today).
01-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
That is an interesting question, Travis. I am not sure at this point. I had a long discussion with a manager at Pentax USA today about my two dud DA*16-50 lenses. We have come to a good understanding, I believe, however, he needs to consult with an even higher superior on Monday (he wasn't in today).
It would be nice, even if you end up getting a good one, for somebody to mention in the reviews to watch out for the bad ones. I have a pretty good memory, so I should remember this when I start looking for a lens in that range, but if I do forget it would be nice to be reminded when I read the reviews. Anyway, I hope you get everything worked out, it isn't fun to deal with bad products. You never really think about it until it happens to you.
01-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #307

My failed negotiations with Pentax on the DA*16-50

This is a rant so feel free to ignore.

As some of you may know, I have recently received my second poor copy of a DA*16-50mm. I talked to Pentax service and told them I had lost all confidence in the quality of this lens and wanted my money back rather than sending the lens back and forth in perpetuity. Pentax told me they don't do refunds so I should contact Beach Camera, who according to Pentax should refund my money. Beach told me they don't refund lenses with different serial numbers than what they originally sold, particularly after 10 days (and I can't fault Beach for that). At this point I made a proposal to the Pentax customer service manager. I proposed to trade my DA* 16-50mm for a FA 31mm limited and I would pay the difference based on rebates and current prices at B+H. This would have cost me an extra $40. The customer service manager thought it was a fair deal but he needed to get it approved by his superior (sounds like dealing with car salesman, doesn't it?). After waiting a few days for this "superior" I just got my answer. No deal. They would do it for $150. I about blew a gasket at that point. I then told them it was unacceptable for me to be footing the bill for shipping on defective merchandise that is brand new. They told me they could have UPS come and pick up my 2nd dud * lens. Great, at least I don't have to pay for shipping. If I have to go through a dozen DA*16-50mm lenses to get a good one, then so be it. I personally thought the manager's "superior" should have taken the deal and that would have been the end of it. Maybe by the time I'm done exchanging my 10th or 11th lens, they will have come out with the DA*16-50 II by then.

Rant over
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #308
Inactive Account

Rant away! (see my recent post on my SDM motor)
How long ago did you purchase the lens? I'd contact your credit card company, they may offer some protection.

Good luck!

01-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #309
Inactive Account

Has anyone received a good copy of this lens? Your rant alone has convinced me to stay far, far away from it.
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #310

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Rant away! (see my recent post on my SDM motor)
How long ago did you purchase the lens? I'd contact your credit card company, they may offer some protection.

Good luck!
Thanks, Gordon

Purchase date was 12/30/07. Really, its fine, as long as Pentax foots the shipping bills both ways, we can play the exchange game as long as it takes to get a high quality piece of goods.

Ted
01-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #311
Veteran Member

I've personally had great experience with this lens as well as the vast majority of buyers. I've sold 10 good copies of this lens and out store as a whole has sold more than that and no bad copies.

Bad luck I guess, hope it gets resolved and wish you the best of luck from now on.
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #312

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Has anyone received a good copy of this lens? Your rant alone has convinced me to stay far, far away from it.
I'll be the first to say that people have gotten good copies of this lens; I'm just not one of them (yet).
01-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #313

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I've personally had great experience with this lens as well as the vast majority of buyers. I've sold 10 good copies of this lens and out store as a whole has sold more than that and no bad copies.

Bad luck I guess, hope it gets resolved and wish you the best of luck from now on.
Thanks, Chris

Yeah, I suppose it is bad luck, though I still have suspicions of QC problems with this lens. I am glad that you and your customers have had a very satisfactory experience with this lens.

Ted
01-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Yes. The first one was bad. I took it back to the store the very next morning. The second is one of the sharpest zoom lens I have ever used.

My suggestion to anyone purchasing a lens is to test it immediately upon receipt it. It if fails to meet the standards send it back to the store you purchased it from. Never send it back to the manufacture. You just let both the store and manufacture off the hook.

VR
Darryl
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #315

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Yes. The first one was bad. I took it back to the store the very next morning. The second is one of the sharpest zoom lens I have ever used.

My suggestion to anyone purchasing a lens is to test it immediately upon receipt it. It if fails to meet the standards send it back to the store you purchased it from. Never send it back to the manufacture. You just let both the store and manufacture off the hook.

VR
Darryl
Trust me, Darryl, I will make sure Pentax does not get off the hook.