Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is this DA*16-50mm good or bad?
Keep it -- it's good. 2388.46%
Return it or send it in for repair. 311.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2008, 04:10 AM   #736

Another 16-50mm test, should I keep it?

Hi,

I just got my 16-50mm and it looks quite good except for the (top left?) corners 16mm@2.8.

I shot some brick walls and would appreciate some feedback from you guys here.

click here for the picasa webalbum

or here for the slideshow

Thanks!

06-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #737
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow.. very sharp at center! and the corner does get sharper once stopped down...

I wont vote though, I am not sure what to expect from a 16mm wide open at corners... maybe it is within specs... or maybe not...

Let's wait for some experts..
06-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #738
Veteran Member

I lke the picture of the girl and cat better then the walls.

Ask yourself, "Is this lens good enough for me to use?", "Is this lens worth what I paid for it?".

If yes, on any of them, keep it. If no on both, return it.
06-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #739
Forum Member

Impossible to say without knowing the crop percentage. 50%? 100%? 300%? It makes a big difference.

06-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #740
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Beau Quote
Hi,

I just got my 16-50mm and it looks quite good except for the (top left?) corners 16mm@2.8.

I shot some brick walls and would appreciate some feedback from you guys here.

click here for the picasa webalbum

or here for the slideshow

Thanks!
IMHO your sensor was not perfectly parallel to the brick wall, and that is why one corner looks off focus. I might be misreading the image, but that's what it looks like to me.
06-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #741

Thanks for all the feedback!

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Impossible to say without knowing the crop percentage. 50%? 100%? 300%? It makes a big difference.
Just a crop, no resize, so they should be 100% but picasa might resize them if you view them in your browser.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak:
Ask yourself, "Is this lens good enough for me to use?", "Is this lens worth what I paid for it?".
If yes, on any of them, keep it. If no on both, return it.
It most probably is good enough for me. Is this lens worth what I paid? I don't know, that's what I'm asking here.
So at least one yes, but I might outgrow it if it's a bad copy and would rather find out know, while I can still return it.
Oh, and the picture of the girl with the cat was taken with an old manual prime, chinon 50mm/f2.8 I think.
QuoteQuote:
IMHO your sensor was not perfectly parallel to the brick wall, and that is why one corner looks off focus. I might be misreading the image, but that's what it looks like to me.
Possibly, but the same softness is visible on some other walls I shot. I'll try again and pay attention to it.
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #742
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Beau Quote
It most probably is good enough for me. Is this lens worth what I paid? I don't know, that's what I'm asking here.
So at least one yes, but I might outgrow it if it's a bad copy and would rather find out know, while I can still return it.
Oh, and the picture of the girl with the cat was taken with an old manual prime, chinon 50mm/f2.8 I think.
Well, only you can answer the question if it was worth it. And yes manual lenses are super fun to use, you can't go wrong with them goodies.

To be honest, if you can shoot a picture with that 16-50 and like it and you still got food on the table, then keep it. Stop with the walls and stuff. Go out for a day and shoot a full memorycard, look thru the pictures. If there is a great number of pictures that come out bad, and you can honestly say it is only because of the lens, then return it. Everyday photos will tell you more if the lens is good or bad for you, then some strangers on a internetforum that watch a picture of a wall that might or might not be straight or look straight etc.

So if you get a big number of bad pictures of a full memory card, come back and post some of those pictures instead and people will be able to see alot more truthfully if it is you, the camera, the lighting, the lens or randomness.

Thats my 47c
06-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #743
Veteran Member

Keep using it, it seems the more i use it, the more amazed i am by the lens, i rarely pixel peep anymore, and people love the prints i sold them (just 8x10), taken with the lens.
When i peeped when i just got the lens, i had the lens at -7 AF Adjustment on the K20D, the prints i sold were done at 0 adjustment, and if anything could maybe have used a hint + adjusment. So i am changing how i use the lens, unknowingly, unless you think the lens is breaking in

Buying prints off your gear helps stay with both feet on the ground

06-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #744
Veteran Member

To put it plainly, if my copy of the DA 16-50 came back from repair shooting like that, I'd be a very happy man indeed!

I have been through three of the blighted lot, no luck so far.
06-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #745
Forum Member

Keep it.. That is a good copy.
06-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #746
Veteran Member

Seems like a good copy to me. Zewrak's advice in post #7 is worthwhile, too.
06-19-2008, 03:56 AM   #747
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Couldn't have said it better! And so far it looks fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Well, only you can answer the question if it was worth it. And yes manual lenses are super fun to use, you can't go wrong with them goodies.

To be honest, if you can shoot a picture with that 16-50 and like it and you still got food on the table, then keep it. Stop with the walls and stuff. Go out for a day and shoot a full memorycard, look thru the pictures. If there is a great number of pictures that come out bad, and you can honestly say it is only because of the lens, then return it. Everyday photos will tell you more if the lens is good or bad for you, then some strangers on a internetforum that watch a picture of a wall that might or might not be straight or look straight etc.

So if you get a big number of bad pictures of a full memory card, come back and post some of those pictures instead and people will be able to see alot more truthfully if it is you, the camera, the lighting, the lens or randomness.

Thats my 47c
06-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #748
Veteran Member

No you should not keep it. You should send it directly to me.
06-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #749
Veteran Member

Looks about as good as mine and I kept it, keep yours.
07-15-2008, 05:23 AM   #750

My DA* 16-50 good or bad?

Sorry to start a new thread on this one, but I'll be leaving for a long (+1 year) trip very shortly. To have a good general purpose lens I bought a DA*16-50 Since they are hard to come by in the Netherlands, I bought one with Adorama, in the States.

Now I do not really know what to expect of this lens; it seems better than my Sigma 28-70 2.8, but falls (way) short of my FA 50 1.4

Do I have a dud (and should I return it) or is this what I should expect? Anyone have experience returning lenses from the Netherlands (inc import taxes)? Is there a service centre I can take it to? Would that help? Etc.

Sample images are posted in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/22297-da-16-50...atabase-8.html

All advice is appreciated!