Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is this DA*16-50mm good or bad?
Keep it -- it's good. 2388.46%
Return it or send it in for repair. 311.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 11:01 PM   #856
Igilligan

Oh the last one POPS...

Great colors and the best sharpness of the series... That green with those blue eyes... very nice

09-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #857
Veteran Member

DA* 16-50 zoom ring

Just started happening on saturday. Zoom gets stuck at 28mm coming in from 50mm, gets unstuck, and goes through (after some rocking back and forth) now, i noticed, it's stuck at 19mm and wont go all the way to 16mm. i dont want to force it. sometimes still get caught up in 28mm. IQ on it is great. now i fear i have to send it back to Pentax......

anyone else got this problem?....
09-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #858
Veteran Member

I just unmounted it to look into it further...and i hear something in there...
lens was never dropped or mis-handled..
damnit
09-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #859
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear about that Jon, although it isn't the first time I've heard about that happening with that lens

I guess add it to the list of bad lenses, and send it on it to Pentax.

09-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #860
Forum Member

The first two DA*16-50mm lenses I had did have significantly more resistance at 28mm only zooming from either direction - almost as if there was hump to get over. My third and best one (but still not satisfactory) exhibited the same resistance at 28mm symptom, but to a much lesser amount. However, in all 3 cases the lens would zoom throughout its entire range. Maybe I just did not have any of them long enough.
09-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #861
Veteran Member

I'm beginning to think there are 3 types of DA*16-50 people.

In decending order of number:

1) People who own one but do not know there is a problem with it (yet)
2) People who have had the lens (maybe several) and have given up due to a multitude of QC and design problems.
3) The merry privileged few that actually got a good copy, and know it.
09-03-2008, 03:52 AM   #862
FDM

My view on the DA* 16-50

A lot has been said, in this and other forums, about problems with the DA* 16-50. Softness, chromatic aberration, focusing issues, lemons... This lens just got a bad reputation, which is probably making some potential buyers look for alternatives.
I actually got a 16-50 for my K10d a few months ago and was initially a bit apprehensive about having made a bad choice. I have been using it as my walkaround lens (I also have a DA* 50-135, but I use it only in particular occasions). I now believe this is a good lens with a reasonable price tag. Ok, it isn't the sharpest lens ever and CA is definitely an issue, but it takes more than shapness tomake a good photo and CA is easily corrected by software. I think this is a versatile, fast and well built lens.
QC issues have been mentioned as the reason for some of the problems, but I'm wondering whether some of the complains have a psychological factor behind them, influenced by all the bad comments.
I'm posting a few shots from my August trip to some of the Azores islands, taken with this lens. All photos were RAW-processed in Silkypix in the following manner (I do this procedure with all the photos I keep, independently of the lens used):
- CA correction.
- Cropping/rotation for improving composition.
- Tone curve adjustment for exposure tuning.

There are no award winners here, just vacation photos. Any comments are welcome. I think it would be especially interesting to know the feelings of other DA* 16-50 owners on this lens.

--

Attached Images

09-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #863
Veteran Member

did you resize these photos? you might want to optimize them for web, they look real soft/out-of-focus on my screen
09-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #864
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find the same thing happens to some of my stuff on the site as well.

As for the lens, I've bought and returned one. but that was 8-9 months ago and we hear a lot less about the BF issues now. I'm certain that a few might be just user worries/error but most were real world problems.

The DA16-45mm I got to replace the 16-50mm is so good that I feel no desire to replace that lens. It's sharp and compact. WS isn't enough reason to take a chance again for a lens that optically may be no better and might be worse. My DA16-45 gets a ton of use and I've had it out in pretty rough weather without any issues.
09-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #865
Veteran Member

Some softness, but i guess thats because you have the aperture quite far open so the focus is small. Number 2 is a stunnner, and you got some great exposures there.
09-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #866
FDM

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
did you resize these photos? you might want to optimize them for web, they look real soft/out-of-focus on my screen
Yep, I uploaded the photos with a larger size and they were automatically resized, thus the softness. I should have noticed that! This way the post ends up missing the point. Sorry about that.
09-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #867
Veteran Member

one problem is people not taking into account the curvature of field.
if you take a test at 16mm at 2.8 of a flat object like some newspaper, the edges will not be great because the depth of field is not actually a flat plane. of course this field curvature is not a good thing, but it is common in many lenses
09-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #868
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
you might want to optimize them for web, they look real soft/out-of-focus on my screen
A noobie asks.......How do you do that?
09-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #869
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
QC issues have been mentioned as the reason for some of the problems, but I'm wondering whether some of the complains have a psychological factor behind them, influenced by all the bad comments.

I've had three copies of the 16-50 - the third I've deemed 'perfect'. The first was obviously bad at all FL's and apertures.

The second, however, might have actually been just as good as the third - but I may have jumped the gun on declaring it bad, for the reason you site above - psychological. I remember taking some test shots, and seeing focus issues - it went right back for exchange in the local store. Later on, when I had more time, I did a larger series of tests with my 3rd copy, and with several lenses - and I found that I was getting the same sort of 'problems' I was seeing with that 2nd 16-50 with my FA 50 1.4, 77ltd, and even my 50-135. The focus issues seemed to to occur in 1) dim tungsten, or 2) low contrast settings.

Later, I was also able to try a friend's Canon 40D + kit lens in dim tungsten - and saw the same issues.

I think if we're hyper-aware of focusing issues, but not hyper aware of the settings we're testing in, and don't test other 'sample' lens/body combos in the same exact settings as a control, then we may be prone to calling a lens 'bad' when it's really our testing technique.

09-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #870
Veteran Member

I've seen too many GOOD Photographers here, with their heart set on this lens getting bad copies. Even lately.
These people know how to get the most out of their camera / lens combo, so I wouldn't even dream of it being their fault. Or in their head.

I know that there's still issues with it, and I sure hope that Pentax deals with them soon.
It isn't that bad in the USA where Pentax actually has a customer service, but in Canada if you have a warranty issue your pretty much hooped.
I don't know about the rest of the world on their after the sales service