Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is this DA*16-50mm good or bad?
Keep it -- it's good. 2388.46%
Return it or send it in for repair. 311.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #931
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
To filter or not to filter and if to filter which one?
I say "no filter". Use a hood, save your money, get insurance instead and have better IQ.
Argh, i knew i had answer like that... so please, the topic isn't that at all. I choose deliberately to buy a filter, let me do that

I don't want to be rude, but guys...just answer to the topic of the thread please, it will be more useful

thanks,

10-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #932
Pentaxian

Here are all the answers :-)

Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page Forums
10-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #933
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TanGU Quote
hi guys,

I just ordered my Pentax 16-50mm f2.8. I'd like to order my Filter now, but the store i ordered it had only Sigma and 2 others el cheapo filter. So i need a good clean 77mm filter.

Hoya, B&W, Sigma ? What did you put on your 16-50mm ?

thanks!
If you are going to put a filter on the thing (I wouldn't), then either a B+W or Heliopan will cause the least damage to your images.
Whatever you buy, make sure it is multicoated.
10-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #934
Veteran Member

Thom Hogen makes some good points about filters and it's just a well written piece. He highlights that if you are going to spend lots of money for the least distorting glass possible in a lens, why would you put another piece of glass in front of it that would degrade the picture? A comment about window glass with a spray on coating is made if memory serves. A corollary to this point is "good filters aren't cheap." The also article gives some good tips for landscape photography and which filters in his experience actually help your shot and might be worth the money.

10-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #935
Inactive Account

i know i am off topic, but can you tell me what filter did you put on your 16-50 and reply on my post here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/38986-best-filt...guys-have.html

thanks
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #936
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
HOYA 77mm UV(0) SUPER HMC MULTI-COATED HAZE FILTER NEW
10-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #937
Veteran Member

If you must use a filter, and we all do under certain circumstances, then make it a good one.

10-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #938
Inactive Account

Your link show the B+W 0.10, insn't better to have the 0.07 ? 77E CLEAR MRC (007M) - Schneider Optics
10-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #939
Veteran Member

Yes, that looks like a good filter too.
10-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #940
Veteran Member

Heres someone using said combination, an excellent photographer with loads of shots in PPG

Flickr: Jan Paul Yap's stuff tagged with da1650

Lots of post processing but you can tell that the lens is capable of plenty of detail and quality
10-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #941
Inactive Account

DA* 16-50mm Purple Fringing

I got the DA* 16-50mm a few weeks ago, and I'm happy with my copy ... aside from some pretty horrendous PF. It's really only bad enough to bother me at the wide end, especially at 16mm. The problem persists through the aperture range at 16mm in high contrast situations, and the PF can be 5+ pixels wide. Sometimes it can be removed with Lightroom fairly well, but at times it can just be too much.
Here's an example of about the worst I've had with it:
Flickr Photo Download: PF
Look the top corners. The picture is just converted from RAW to highest quality JPEG in Lightroom.

I know that at 16mm flaws will be at their worst, and PF can often be avoided or corrected. But this is some of (if not absolutely) the worst PF I've ever seen.

So, my question is, do others with this lens experience the same degree of PF in similar situations, or is it something that might warrant sending the lens in?

Aside from the PF this lens is definitely a winner.
10-17-2008, 01:47 AM   #942
Veteran Member

I have never experienced anything like that

I had a couple of shots that I noticed it on but it was after magnification that I noticed it and it was steel girders against a bright sky and nowhere near as dramatic as your example

Neil
10-17-2008, 02:02 AM   #943
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I got the DA* 16-50mm a few weeks ago, and I'm happy with my copy ... aside from some pretty horrendous PF. It's really only bad enough to bother me at the wide end, especially at 16mm. The problem persists through the aperture range at 16mm in high contrast situations, and the PF can be 5+ pixels wide. Sometimes it can be removed with Lightroom fairly well, but at times it can just be too much.
Here's an example of about the worst I've had with it:
Flickr Photo Download: PF
Look the top corners. The picture is just converted from RAW to highest quality JPEG in Lightroom.

I know that at 16mm flaws will be at their worst, and PF can often be avoided or corrected. But this is some of (if not absolutely) the worst PF I've ever seen.

So, my question is, do others with this lens experience the same degree of PF in similar situations, or is it something that might warrant sending the lens in?

Aside from the PF this lens is definitely a winner.
not much help but thats about what I get with the 10-17mm or either of the 16-45's I had
10-17-2008, 03:18 AM   #944
Inactive Account

Well, it was about the worst conditions I could have shot in. It was about 4:30PM and I was shooting roughly southwest, which is about where the sun would have been. The other shots I have that have shown similar PF were in similar conditions.

Also, i just thought of this but it could also be exacerbated by the fact that I use a filter on the lens. It's a Hoya PRO1 Digital UV filter so it should be pretty good, but it's obviously not gonna help the IQ any. I think I'll have to go out today without the filter and see if things are improved any.

If I get some more comments saying that it's much worse than others have experienced I guess I'll have to see what I can do to get it fixed. I just don't want to have to send it in and then not have a large part of my normal shooting range covered for a few weeks.
10-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #945
Inactive Account

Here's another, less contrasty, shot at 16mm with little PF that I can see.
Flickr Photo Download: Gap in between

I just don't know what to think. Every time I tell myself that I'm just over analyzing the pictures, I see one that appears good zoomed out, and then I look at it at 100% and am completely discouraged by the PF.