Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is this DA*16-50mm good or bad?
Keep it -- it's good. 2388.46%
Return it or send it in for repair. 311.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #1021
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Nothing of interest here really...

The "How many lenses do you own?" thread made me say, "How many lenses do I use?", and the answer was - far less than I own. So thinking that pentax glass and weather sealing sounded very appealing, I decided to sell off a good chunk of my quiver and get my first * lens. Went over the threshold last night and ordered one from Amazon...

Now would be a good time to encourage me that they really have worked out the bugs, and it's a worthy lens etc. .
Here's a perfect test - have someone sit still about 3 feet from you and turn their face to about a 30-45 degree angle to you. At f/2.8 and 16mm, 24, 35 and 50mm, shoot the eye closest to you.

Eyelashes are nature's perfect focal test grid.

It's easier than setting up the paper test (if you have someone there,) and gives you an idea about how the lens works in real-life shots as well as if it's BF/FF-ing.

If you have the K20D, adjust focus a bit to taste.

That's it - should be able to determine if you have a good copy in 5 minutes. Then go out and have fun, that's a stellar lens!

11-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #1022
Veteran Member

Thanks Jay, I'll do that. What was the main problem with the two copies you sent back (ff/bf or decentering?... something else?), and why'd you sell the keeper? Covering that range with primes and the 12-24 now? BTW, how goes the Tamron travails? Did you get a good copy back and/or get the laked copy cleaned?

Wow, that's a lot of questions... good thing it's a weekend...
11-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #1023
Inactive Account

It's a great lens. There's no doubt you'll enjoy it if you get a good copy.
11-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #1024
Veteran Member

My most used lens

It is still holding off my LBA on getting a limited prime in this range

You will love it if you get a good copy

Neil

11-30-2008, 02:33 AM   #1025
nah

It's kinda funny in bad way that a lot of people say "if you get a good copy". It's one of the reasons why I think I've stayed away so far and why I probably wouldn't want to buy a used one, just in case someone is pawning off their bad copy to me. I would love the weather sealing and great optics, but the inconsistencies throw me off.
11-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #1026
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
It's kinda funny in bad way that a lot of people say "if you get a good copy". It's one of the reasons why I think I've stayed away so far and why I probably wouldn't want to buy a used one, just in case someone is pawning off their bad copy to me. I would love the weather sealing and great optics, but the inconsistencies throw me off.
I was worried about it too, but a local shop had them in stock so I went and tested one out there, which turned out to be a good one. It was the demo, but I'm pretty sure the shop doesn't push Pentax so it looked pretty much unused. It was on an *ist D, so I take it probably hadn't been touched in months.

If you have the ability to do this you could surely get a good copy the first try. Mine came at an alright cost, and getting a good copy the first time was worth the extra few bucks I did pay as opposed to buying one online.
11-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #1027
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
It's a great lens. There's no doubt you'll enjoy it if you get a good copy.
Hi,
I intend to buy this lens the day I will buy my Pentax K20D body ; what kind of defect could it have ? Is it known to have a particular defect ? Will it be easy to detect for a beginner ?
Thanks.

11-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #1028
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Josh,

Looking forward to the results! I am hoping I can get the DA* 16-50/2.8 in the new year. Right now I use my DA 12-24 a great deal and having everything fully weather sealed would be a boon during the rainy spring season. Same goes the the DA* 50-135 as a nice landscape lens. Of course, that means the DA* 300/4 to ensure I have the bases covered... crazy LBA justification... not.

Curious: has anyone confirmed the image circle on a 35mm SLR body for either lens (16-50 or 50-135) at the wide end? Obviously AV mode is only good if the body can control it.

Regards,
Marc
11-30-2008, 07:21 AM   #1029
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new toy. I hope you get a great copy and have happy shooting with it
11-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #1030
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Josh,

Looking forward to the results! I am hoping I can get the DA* 16-50/2.8 in the new year. Right now I use my DA 12-24 a great deal and having everything fully weather sealed would be a boon during the rainy spring season. Same goes the the DA* 50-135 as a nice landscape lens. Of course, that means the DA* 300/4 to ensure I have the bases covered... crazy LBA justification... not.

Curious: has anyone confirmed the image circle on a 35mm SLR body for either lens (16-50 or 50-135) at the wide end? Obviously AV mode is only good if the body can control it.

Regards,
Marc
Just looking thru viewfinder, i would say 16-50 is a no go on 35mm.

Cheers. Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-29-2013 at 10:40 AM.
11-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #1031
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Just looking thru viewfinder, i would say 16-50 is a no go on 35mm.

Cheers. Mike.

That is true. The image circle is not big enought for FF,resulting in heavy vigneting. Or rather complete black-out in the corners.
11-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #1032
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I decided not to care too long nor too much about the bad experiences others had and bought DA* 16-50 earlier this month (knowing I could always return it in case of issues, it definitely helps to have an official Pentax reseller just around the corner ....)
I certainly do not regret it It's amazing, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with yours.
11-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #1033
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think I would have saved money and worry and gone with the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8... Oh yeah! I did.. After hearing all the stories about the 16-50 I deceided that it just wasn't worth the weather seal advantage. And it edged out the Pentax on IQ.
Good Luck with your copy
12-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #1034
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I think I would have saved money and worry and gone with the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8... Oh yeah! I did.. After hearing all the stories about the 16-50 I deceided that it just wasn't worth the weather seal advantage. And it edged out the Pentax on IQ.
Good Luck with your copy
I have a 17-50mm myself and from what I've read, the Pentax is better in the IQ department.

Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 vs Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 vs Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

I am intrigued by this review and may want to possiblity test this myself to see if this test is indeed true.

The overall factor for me in choosing the Tamron over the Pentax at the time was price, qc on the Pentax, and good results from users. After using the Tamron for a few months and getting some fairly good results, I still wonder if the Pentax can get me that little bit of extra IQ I'm looking for.
12-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #1035
Inactive Account

DA* 16-50mm f2.8 with MS Live and ebay coupon

I am not sure whether this posting is appropriate here. (Please tell me then I will delete)

I just made a purchase at prodigital2000 in ebay for the above lens with the final expected cost (excluding s/h) of $395, by combining the MS Live CB 25%, 15% ebay coupon, and ebay credit card (I opened an account).

700 - (MS Live 25% of $700) - (ebay 15% of $700, max. $100) - (ebay card 15%, max. $30)

It could have been better if I was not bound to prodigital (to replace my previous order with this one) and used MS Live 30% cashback. The cashback was down to 25% today. Even without the ebay coupon,

$645 (other vendor in ebay with buy now) - (MS Live 25% of $645) = $453.

can get this one (still too expensive?)...

Good luck!