Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is this DA*16-50mm good or bad?
Keep it -- it's good. 2388.46%
Return it or send it in for repair. 311.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #1036
Veteran Member

Seems like a good deal to me. I didn't know the cashback rebate worked with prodigital. I thought they used a third party check out system.

12-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #1037

Could have saved an extra 3% with fatcash :P
12-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #1038
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
Could have saved an extra 3% with fatcash :P
You are right! In the middle of uneasy transaction, I forgot to start off from fatwallet!
12-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #1039
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
Seems like a good deal to me. I didn't know the cashback rebate worked with prodigital. I thought they used a third party check out system.
MS Live cashback works with private checkout as long as the payment is sent from PayPal, if I interpreted this correctly: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/838081

At least, it worked for me in my case.

Ebay coupon was what I have been trying to figure out whole Thanksgiving weekend. It turned out that the last stage of prodigital checkout system sends me to payPal where I could apply the ebay coupon.

Last edited by cucme; 12-03-2008 at 04:12 PM.
12-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #1040
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice!, I wish we had that MS cashback here in Canada...
12-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #1041
edl
Veteran Member

MS Live cashback is now down to 20%. Hopefully it'll go back to 25% or 30% (fingers crossed) after Christmas.

I'm happy with my purchases over the past few days though (K20D for $528, Panasonic LX3 for $320).
12-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #1042
Site Supporter

It's back at 25%, midnight central standard time.........
12-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #1043
Veteran Member

Thanks for your support everybody, including the concerned questioning of my sanity for ordering a lens with so many supposed problems... I will get a good copy (hopefully on the first try, but if not, I'll get one somehow)...

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I have a 17-50mm myself and from what I've read, the Pentax is better in the IQ department.

Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 vs Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 vs Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

I am intrigued by this review and may want to possiblity test this myself to see if this test is indeed true.

The overall factor for me in choosing the Tamron over the Pentax at the time was price, qc on the Pentax, and good results from users. After using the Tamron for a few months and getting some fairly good results, I still wonder if the Pentax can get me that little bit of extra IQ I'm looking for.
Thanks for the link nah, both informative and helpful in feeling justified in my decision. I'll add a reason I've seldom heard mentioned for preferring the Pentax version of this range (and I hope it holds true with the *16-50)... I like shooting into the sun... I do it all the time (well I did till I started relying on Sigma lenses). Going from the DA18-55 AL II to the DA 18-250, I just took it for granted that you could take pictures with the sun in 'em and nothing bad would happen (other than to my sight and making metering more difficult). Then I got a fast sigma, and got FLARED whenever the sun hits the glass - bummer! My Tamrons seem to fare a bit better, but there's something about the pentax glass (coatings) in my past experience which is just dominates at controlling flare. I know that sounds silly, but it's a real factor for me. Add weather seals, and great quality (as long as you get good quality), and I'm sold. Besides I funded the lens by selling lenses I wasn't using, and I have a Sigma 18-50/2.8 to use till I get the fabled good copy, so I golden.

Oh, BTW, it's scheduled to arrive day after tomorrow, but tracking shows it already in Sacramento, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see it tomorrow. (fingers crossed).

12-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #1044
Veteran Member

Wow. I wanted to do that, but I was told by several that I couldn't do the cashback with the third party payment. I even started the BIN process, and got some sort of message that it would be inelligible for the cashback... did you get that message? I've got a *16-50 arriving tomorrow or the next day from amazon at $650... Hmmmm.... At least I have 30 days to return it if I want to.

Edit: Here's the message I get, did you get this too?
12-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #1045
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
Nice!, I wish we had that MS cashback here in Canada...
AND I wish we had it in Australia.

Sounds like a great deal to me...buy!!!
12-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #1046
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Oh, BTW, it's scheduled to arrive day after tomorrow, but tracking shows it already in Sacramento, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see it tomorrow. (fingers crossed).
I'm crossing my fingers for ya, bud! Look forward to your pics from your good copy of the lens.
12-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #1047
Site Supporter

Wow. I wanted to do that, but I was told by several that I couldn't do the cashback with the third party payment. I even started the BIN process, and got some sort of message that it would be inelligible for the cashback... did you get that message? I've got a *16-50 arriving tomorrow or the next day from amazon at $650... Hmmmm.... At least I have 30 days to return it if I want to.

Edit: Here's the message I get, did you get this too?
That is because this item is not offered on the US eBay site, it is offered on eBay Canada. Note the price is ini Canadian dollars. Prodigital offers items on both eBay Canada as well as the main US eBay site. Only the US site is eleigible for cashback. The key is if the price is in US dollars, it is eligible for the cashback.

You can us BIN and Paypal from Prodigital and the cashback will work, but it has to be for the US offered items.
12-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #1048
Forum Member

I've just ordered one for myself today as my Christmas present. Got a good price from srsmicrosystems, And they will test it for me before shipping. They said they had a lot of returns in early batches, but now don't get any.

a bit OT..but but should I get a 77mm standard UV or a new PRO1 Digital one for Hoya. Is there a noticeable difference.
12-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #1049
Forum Member

Thanks for your support everybody, including the concerned questioning of my sanity for ordering a lens with so many supposed problems... I will get a good copy (hopefully on the first try, but if not, I'll get one somehow)...
Thats exactly the attitude I had. I bought mine from a local store that had no problems swapping it out until I got a good one (I made sure of this before ordering). Fortunately got a good one first go. Im sure there are many horror stories, but with a local store that is willing to swap lenses out until you get a good one, only thing that it can potentially cost you is time. IMO the reward of a good 16-50 is worth it.
12-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #1050
Veteran Member

... I'll add a reason I've seldom heard mentioned for preferring the Pentax version of this range (and I hope it holds true with the *16-50)... I like shooting into the sun... I do it all the time (well I did till I started relying on Sigma lenses). Going from the DA18-55 AL II to the DA 18-250, I just took it for granted that you could take pictures with the sun in 'em and nothing bad would happen (other than to my sight and making metering more difficult). Then I got a fast sigma, and got FLARED whenever the sun hits the glass - bummer! ....
I know what you mean - I like shooting into the sun too, and I have noticed that some lenses are better than others at handling it.

My Pentax DA 12-24 is great at it, IMO:

Thi is from the 16-50, pretty much shooting right into the sun - contrast is
retained nicely, I think:

Anyway, good luck on your purchase, if you get a good one, it may not want
to leave your camera! (wish I still had mine )