Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is this DA*16-50mm good or bad?
Keep it -- it's good. 2388.46%
Return it or send it in for repair. 311.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #1066

Should I return my DA* 16-50mm?

I got my DA* 16-50mm yesterday, so I went out today to test it out. I was very disappointed with the results. I get purple and green fringing and it just doesn't seem as sharp as my Tamron. I'm coming from a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8f. Here is one pic I took with some 100% crops.

Original pic:

100% crops:

exif data:

12-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #1067
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hi , you can see the fringing without the crop, especially in the trees
12-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #1068
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Congrats on the lens!! I'm still debating on keeping mine, but my copy still puts out really decent photos, although a tad soft at F2.8 .... Hit F4, though, and it's the bomb.
Thanks. Do you feel your copy is softer than the samples I posted? Second day with this lens and I didn't even use it today (shot deer with the bigma). I'll get some more use out of it this weekend.

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Way to go on your huge spend!
Thanks... The scary thing is I entirely paid for this by selling lenses and a K200D body.

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Lens looks like a keeper Josh. Don't over do the testing...trust your eyes and the results from your everyday images. I joined the party & purchased the same DA* for myself yesterday. Only taken 30 photos, so far & are very impressed with this lens.
Congrats on yours! I'm not too into measurbating, and will usually judge a lens quite subjectively. So far I'm very impressed with this lens, and esp. how it handles situations which would flare the sh!7 out of my Sigmas (PF is fixable, but flare is forever). Doing more research on the lens today and finding that it hits peak sharpness at f/4 really pleased me, though I see a lot of f/8 or f/11 in this lenses future for landscapes.

QuoteOriginally posted by avian Quote
Great work Josh, glad you got a good one first go. I absolutely love mine, cant see myself selling it any time in the near or distant future.

Seeing how many people have recently got a good one first go, makes ya wonder if production is improving.
It does seem to me that more people are reporting good copies first time 'round. I'll do a bit more testing and hopefully some fun shooting this weekend, and hopefully conclude what I already strongly suspect... It's a keeper.
12-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #1069

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote

It does seem to me that more people are reporting good copies first time 'round. I'll do a bit more testing and hopefully some fun shooting this weekend, and hopefully conclude what I already strongly suspect... It's a keeper.
I've just received mine a couple of hours ago.

Newspaper test - no decentering, at least not big enough to be detected by me

The weather is great today - hopefully it will stay like that, I'm not in a mood for weather sealing tests - so I'm taking it for a walk

12-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #1070
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is normal for this lens. At least at its widest setting.....
12-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #1071
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Thanks. Do you feel your copy is softer than the samples I posted? Second day with this lens and I didn't even use it today (shot deer with the bigma). I'll get some more use out of it this weekend.
Actually, I've been realizing that the soft images are more due to how I was shooting my subjects and what my expectations were of F2.8.

In actuality, my copy is very sharp. The reason my images were turning out poor was because I was shooting them at an angle where the depth of field was quite thin, and the focusing was not always spot on.

So I bumped up the sharpness (+1 from default) and the contrast (personal, also +1 from default) and this time angled the lens properly and got an amazingly sharp image that rivaled the equivalent prime I had handy.

Another thing I did was remove my UV filter. I think, for some reason, it was messing up my K100d's focusing? Hmm....

Anyways, I like it all over again Yours looks pretty sharp from what I can tell.
12-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #1072
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Actually, I've been realizing that the soft images are more due to how I was shooting my subjects and what my expectations were of F2.8.

In actuality, my copy is very sharp. The reason my images were turning out poor was because I was shooting them at an angle where the depth of field was quite thin, and the focusing was not always spot on.

So I bumped up the sharpness (+1 from default) and the contrast (personal, also +1 from default) and this time angled the lens properly and got an amazingly sharp image that rivaled the equivalent prime I had handy.

Another thing I did was remove my UV filter. I think, for some reason, it was messing up my K100d's focusing? Hmm....

Anyways, I like it all over again Yours looks pretty sharp from what I can tell.
From the reading I've done around the web, another consideration with soft edges/corners which is related to DOF is that the lens has a pretty pronounced feild curvature (hope I'm wording that correctly - I'm not really comfortable with the nomenclature yet). By this I mean that the points in space along which the lens is focused are not planar, but curved, so if you've focused the center of the lens on a wall, the edges of the lens will appear soft because they are OOF (assuming the wall's straight, probably wouldn't work in my cabin). Likewise, if you manually focus the edges of the view, the center should be somewhat soft/OOF.

Considering the samples I posted were shot with a UV filter on, and were shot AF, before I finally dialed in the proper AF adjustment (they were shot with a 1 point backfocusing error I think), I'm happy with 'em.
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #1073

Today I went to a local camera store and tried out their demo 16-50mm. It seems that one also has the fringing problem. The guy at the store tried to tell me it was my camera and not the lens. Does everyone else experience this also? I get fringing issues throughout the entire zoom range, not just at 16mm.

12-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #1074
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
hi , you can see the fringing without the crop, especially in the trees
YES.. I agree, way obvious uncropped.
Your post made me go out and shoot couple treelimb shots, had to zoom way in to see PF. some there but nowhere as bad.

Cheers. Mike.
Edit, add image

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-29-2013 at 10:40 AM.
12-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #1075
Veteran Member

You need to back to back the lens with the 17-50 tammy. That is the only way to do it. If you sold the Tamron .... well .... slap yourself upside the head.
12-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #1076
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by darthku Quote
Today I went to a local camera store and tried out their demo 16-50mm. It seems that one also has the fringing problem. The guy at the store tried to tell me it was my camera and not the lens. Does everyone else experience this also? I get fringing issues throughout the entire zoom range, not just at 16mm.
It seems the K10D is quite prone to purple fringing.
12-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #1077

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
You need to back to back the lens with the 17-50 tammy. That is the only way to do it. If you sold the Tamron .... well .... slap yourself upside the head.
I didn't sell the Tamron. I'm going to be sending the DA* back to Pentax. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it. I really love the SDM. My copy of the DA* doesn't seem as sharp as my Tamron too... rolling the dice on a good copy from Pentax.
12-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #1078

Thanks for all the help. I ended up getting a B & W UV Haze 010 (MRC), Neutral Density ND.6 4x (MRC), and Circular Polarizer (MRC). The lens and the filters are amazing. Now I just need to find the money to buy the DA* 50-135mm. Thanks again.
12-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #1079

DA* 16-50 won't manual focus

All,

I just received in the mail my new K20D and DA* 16-50mm lens. Up to this point, I've been a Pentax film shooter (K1000, 50 f2).

I can't get the manual focus to work on the lens. I follow exactly what the manuals say by doing the following.

1. Leave the K20D set to AF.
2. Choose MF on the lens.

I'll then turn the focus ring, and nothing happens! I've even tried to set MF on the body and lens, set MF only on the body, etc. nothing seems to happen. This is weird, because the AF works brilliantly.

Did I get a dud? Or am I not doing something obvious? Would it matter that I don't have an SD card in the camera?

Last edited by stooley; 12-29-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: add content
12-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #1080
Inactive Account

Welcome!

Just did a quick test. SD card in or not doesn't matter. You seem to be doing everything correctly. Have you tried ( Because this has happened to me before) to turn camera off and unmount lens and then remount the lens making sure it snaps all the way on and try again.