Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is this DA*16-50mm good or bad?
Keep it -- it's good. 2388.46%
Return it or send it in for repair. 311.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #766
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
how can a beginner photographer tell a good copy from a bad?

If it's not tack sharp in all four corners or if it cannot focus through the entire range.

07-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #767
Inactive Account

B&H has been very good to me with returning even expensive items, even if the reason was I simply didn't like it. I returned a Canon "L" lens and swapped it for another because it was severely FF, and then I did the same with the 2nd copy, and the third copy was a charm, and they were friendly throughout the process.

As far as the 16-50 goes. I got a wonderful copy first time out. I hesitated (afraid of) getting this lens for months before taking the plunge. This is turning out to be a very nice, very useful lens, and makes me feel silly for passing on it for so long.
07-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #768
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being in the US you have the luxury of the reputation of B&H, so buying a copy of the DA* 16-50 won't be so much of a headache should you get a bad copy. As mentioned, test it out thoroughly, and judge on what you see...
07-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #769
Veteran Member

first pray to the glass gods lot before the lens arrives, check it with the focus chart for ff/BF first, then test it out ALOT!

pray some mroe and if anything looks out of place send it back and pray for a good copy.

If you have a good one it will be a great lens, if not jsut play the return game until you do get a good one.

07-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #770

Since I needed to use this lens relatively quickly, and couldn't wait to play the 'send it back' game, I purchased 3 copies of the lens.

I tested all 3 using the standby newspaper test, along with some indoor and outdoor general use.

#1 Lens has what I would call a major de-centering defect at 50mm. There was a 'patch' in the upper right of the image out of focus, stopping down helped, but it was still noticeable. There also appeared to be a minor patch in the lower left, but it was not as significant as the upper right. It also had some issues focusing indoors at 16mm, I'm not sure if the too issues are related. In any case I would not accept this lens, nobody should. The serial of this lens was 9029425.

#2 Lens has what I would call a slight de-centering defect at 50mm. It was almost in the same area as the #1 lens, near the upper right. I couldn't find anything in the lower left like the #1 lens. I also had no problems with normal focusing, including at 16mm. If this was the only lens I received, I would have accepted it. The de-centering was minor and nearly impossible to notice except when testing for it, and didn't show up stopped down below f/4. I have had other lenses (Canon, Nikon, Sony) that had similar 'slight' de-centering. The serial of this lens was 9029453.

#3 Lens had nothing I could find. No de-centering at any point, very sharp except the extremes of the corners (which were still pretty sharp) which could be due to a curved focusing plane. No problems focusing indoors/outdoors, 16mm is good. This lens impressed me, definitely my keeper! The serial of this lens is 9027178.

I think this is a bit of a disappointing track record, and could definitely 'scare' others from this lens. After all I bought 3 copies, and 2 of them technically had problems, although only 1 was 'BAD'. Copy variations exist in all brands, but for a premium lineup they need to apply a 'premium' level of QC before the lenses leave manufacturing.
07-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #771
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AdamJ Quote
I tested all 3 using the standby newspaper test, along with some indoor and outdoor general use.
I just shoot pictures with mine ...never felt the need to test as I have never had any reason to feel that the IQ was in any way unsatisfactory. I use this lens a lot ...the focal range is great ...would be nice if it went to 55 but I wouldn't trade the f2.8 for the longer focal range. This month I have shot two wedding with it and several portraits (at the 50 end). I also use the 50-135 a lot, but the 16-50 is my stay on the camera lens.

Think I will get the DA* 55 f1.4 as soon as it is available for portraiture and available light work. The only other lens I covet at this time is the 11-16 rumored to be coming - this of course for landscapes.

Mike.
07-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #772

I did a more representative test (less light, proper chart) and it looks a lot better now.
I think the fringing looks like softness. It has a LOT of fringing frim wide open allt he way to say F/5.6, but it is not as soft as I feared...

07-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #773
Veteran Member

DA* 16-50mm Problems Still?

After reading and going through what lens would suite me next I have decided that the DA* 16-50mm is the best option to replace my kit lens.

I am wondering if the problems with this lens are still ongoing and is it suited or less troubled coupled to the K20 or Sammy GX20 regarding back focusing etc.

Also I plan on purchasing from B&H over the net and as I am from Aust. I am concerned if the lens has a problem ...if so do I need to send back to B&H or will Pentax Australia look after the problem?

Any advice much appreciated

Last edited by nulla; 07-28-2008 at 05:24 PM.
07-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #774
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
After reading and going through what lens would suite me next I have decided that the DA* 16-50mm is the best option to replace my kit lens.

I am wondering if the problems with this lens are still ongoing and is it suited or less troubled coupled to the K20 or Sammy GX20 regarding back focusing etc.

Also I plan on purchasing from B&H over the net and as I am from Aust. I am concerned if the lens has a problem ...if so do I need to send back to B&H or will Pentax Australia look after the problem?

If you has back or front focus with 16-50* (or other) - you can always tuning your camera in service for good work with this lens
07-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #775
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote

Nulla,

I can tell you from my experiece with this combo that you don't have that much to be affraid of. The vaste portion of DA* problems were in conjunction with a K10D using SDM. The very same lens could very well work on earlier or latter bodies without much troubles.

As for FF/BF you have the setting in the K20D's menu there is no ned to send the camera and lens to the service unless (very unlikely) the +/- 10 units are not enough. I don't know about Samsung model since I have the Pentax.

My DA* 16-50 works beautifully on my K20D without any adjustments and it's very sharp and pleasing in all areas color rendering, contrast, even bokeh. What you must be prepared for is to work with almost 2 kilos of wheight (I also have the grip with a second battery attached). And I also noticed some focus hunting in low light and/or low contrast areas which can be exacerbated by a dwindling battery.

Hope it helps,
Radu
07-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #776
Veteran Member

No problems here. When I used the 16-50 on the K10D, I was shocked by some terrible CA if exposure was off. Since then on the K20D, I haven't noticed it, so I think the camera body has an impact.

However, I have taken a few shots on my K20D with the DA*200 that also showed some terrible PF (and I mean fluorescent PF, just horrible). So the K20D isn't immune to PF.
07-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #777
Veteran Member

Thanks kindly to all you gents for you answers... very helpfull

I will go ahead and buy the lens as I am impressed with it.

Neil
08-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #778

Dare to buy the DA*16-50 to K10D?

Hi!

I've read that the 16-50 works better with the K20D than the K10D. The problems people have had seems to be K10D owners and not K20D owners. Do you have the same opionion? I am a K10D owner and I plan to buy both the DA*50-135 and the DA*16-50 but I am a bit worried that I will get a bad copy... A friend of mine will buy them in the US and ship them to me here in Sweden so the warranty won't be valid here....
08-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #779
Veteran Member

Hi Missk

welcome to the forum by the way.

I asked more or less the same question here a week or so ago.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33283-da-16-50...ems-still.html

Maybe that will help with your decision.

I expect to take delivery of the lens tomorrow Australia time and I will be testing asap for any faults.

Good luck

Neil
08-03-2008, 01:59 AM   #780

Hi and thanks for the welcoming.

It was your thread that made me wondering about the K10D and 16-50... It sounds like it's a smaller chance that it will work with my K10D.