Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do you do for lens servicing , Pentax doesn't seem to be interested

I've been trying to build a lens assortment since going digital in Aug. I have purchased some used lenses because I can't afford Pentax's better lenses new. Some of the lenses I have gotten were mistakes on my part not being familliar with the product but others I've liked. Honestly the feel of some of the older product is superior to the new high tech CPS (cheap plastic STUFF ) lenses.

I recently sent a SMCP F 35-135 to the factory for interal cleaning.I had called first to make sure it was not on the "no longer servicable list"but it was immediately returned stating parts were no longer available. I like this lens for the build and the focal length and even with the dirt inside of it I prefer it to the FA 28-105 that I bought new with the K20D. Is it just me or does it seem like Pentax is only interested in selling new product? I wouldn't mind buying new if the good stuff wasn't so overpriced or the consumer lenses weren't sooo plasticcy
I remember when lenses were built to last and be servicable for a lifetime. It took me years to build my collection of glass for my film cameras and all of them are well over 20 years old yet they can still be cleaned and serviced.

What parts are needed to disassemble , clean and reassemble a lens that Pentax can't supply?

Can anyone tell me about a reliable and fair camera repair service that could clean this lens for me?

01-07-2009, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Can anyone tell me about a reliable and fair camera repair service that could clean this lens for me?"[/QUOTE]

I've had wonderful service from Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, VA. Apparently Camera Wiz doesn't have a presence on the web. Their contact info is: 169 Pleasant Hill Rd, Harrisonburg, VA - (540) 434-8133

Sig

Last edited by Sigmoid; 01-08-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: error correction
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Best there is for cameras or lenses.
Home Eric Hendrickson
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Home Eric Hendrickson
I second this. Have had him look at a few things, and hasn't let me down yet. Reasonable prices as well, makes it worth not trashing some older equipment.

01-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Customer Service has always done a PHENOMENAL job handling my lens issues. Their attention to detail and turnaround time are super and their pricing is so low it shocks me. HOWEVER, the low pricing I'm referring to is low relative to the value of the lenses I've sent in. The lowest priced lens I've ever had CLA'ed or repaired is the FA*28-70/2.8 which had an MSRP of about $1300 and the CLA and repair was $130 just a few months ago. Other lenses I've sent them were considerably more expensive--F*600/4, FA*600/4, FA*250-600 etc. and the repair and CLA is generally around $250, though I once paid about $300 for a repair bill on a 600/4 that had to be shipped to Japan for service. I consider those prices to be low...for professional grade equipment.

A standard version consumer grade lens can likely be purchased on the used market for less than the cost to clean or repair it. When you send an item to Pentax, they send you a written estimate which you can decide to either accept or have the item shipped back to you.
01-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ALWAYS email Eric first on vintage (OOP) Pentax gear

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Home Eric Hendrickson
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
I second this. Have had him look at a few things, and hasn't let me down yet. Reasonable prices as well, makes it worth not trashing some older equipment.
What they said.

Always email Eric FIRST, describe your condition or situation, and trust his response will be reasoned and fair.

None of us has any economic interest - we have just learned through experience and observation over many years that Eric is one of (if not THE) best Pentax tachnicians.

Old school service - years of skill, experience and knowledge.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-07-2009 at 09:13 PM.
01-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gentleman thanks for the tips !

Ron , with $1,000+ lenses the service should be nothing less than PHENOMINAL.I'm just a little disappointed with my factory experience .In the past 6 months, I bought my camera and one for my wife , accessories and a Pelican case too. It's gonna be a while before I can afford Limitted or * glass so I would have gladly paid to service this lens because I like it better than the new product .