Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #1

Has anyone experienced similar problem?

Hi. I just newly purchased a used Tamron 28-75/f2.8 XR DI lens for my Pentax K10D. It's my first lens for this camera, besides the kit lens. I attached the lens and when I turn on the camera, the following message "f--" flashes in the LCD panel and nothing happens when I push the shutter release button - no picture taken and no auto-focusing.

Has anyone experienced this type of thing with this type of lens or another lens? Does this lens have compatibility problems with the Pentax K10D? From the reviews I've read, it seems like a great lens. I presume it's an issue with this specific copy of the lens (not the model) and not my camera because when I put the kit lens back on, no problems. I'm going to return it, and am inclined to get another copy of the lens, unless I hear that others have had issues with this lens.

Thanks for feedback.

Peace, Christopher

01-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the lens have an "A" setting on the aperture ring? If not you need to enable the use of the Aperture Ring through the custom settings menu. If it does make sure the ring is set to the "A" setting.
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #3

I have something very similar happen with my first AF Pentax lens, a Tamron 24-135, and it turned out the little lever/selector was not all the way over to the A setting, but instead was set to some manual aperture. So double check to make sure your lens is set to the A (if this info. applies to that particular lens).
01-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
That's it! I had no idea - it does have an A setting on the lens, I switched it on, and problem solved. Thank you, thank you!

01-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #5

Bumping up, bc the same issue comes up with my camera (always on a day before a big shoot ironically). . and I have the apperature set to automatic (it is an issue on all of my lenses). The autofocus won't work (on lenses that should) and it will not display the AV setting (though when I shoot in av mode and change the setting, it will actually adjust, just presents nothing on the top monitor for av). . .the only way I've gotten it to work in the past is to remove the lens several times and eventually it works??

Just as a side note, for the K10d, if you want to be able to shoot at a set av. . .go into the custom settings for your camera, on the last screen there is a setting that should be set to #2, this will allow you to use some old lenses with your camera. I would recommend turning that setting to allow any app setting.

Anyone, help would be appreciated. I have a magazine shoot on Saturday. . I can use my backup old *istD, but my HSM lenses will not autofocus with that body, and I will need a high speed autofocus for some of the work. . .I'd rather not have to buy another body of 20d or 10d for a day while this one is in the shop if they can't fix it tomorrow!
01-23-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lamgray Quote
Bumping up, bc the same issue comes up with my camera (always on a day before a big shoot ironically). . and I have the apperature set to automatic (it is an issue on all of my lenses). The autofocus won't work (on lenses that should) and it will not display the AV setting (though when I shoot in av mode and change the setting, it will actually adjust, just presents nothing on the top monitor for av). . .the only way I've gotten it to work in the past is to remove the lens several times and eventually it works??
Have you tried cleaning the contacts?
01-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Have you tried cleaning the contacts?

I did and its working again. . .BRILLIANT! Thanks!