Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There is the DFA100 macro, but I agree, there's quite a bit of room for more options between 77 and 200.

I think the things that are most obvious "holes" in the lineup are the places where come in with expectations. For folks new to the SLR/DSLR world, expectations will be based on comparison to other consumer-grade lenses available for the others - and this means more general purpose zooms. 18-125 being the most obvious missing link. For folks coming in with specific notions of what they want, there are all sorts of possibilities. And extreme telephoto is an obvious one.

But I keep coming back to the fact that so many film shooters had three lenses: a fast 50 and a semi-fast (f/2.8) 28 & 135. And none of these were especially expensive as far as I know. Whether those are *ideal* fields of view on film is another matter but they are expectation-setters. Given there is an FA35/2, that kind of fits the bill for a fast 50 equivalent, although I think the upcoming DA*30 would be more useful if only it would be cheap, which I'm sure it won't.

So anyhow, aside from the 18-125 and "something really long", my two top picks for Pentax's sake would be a relatively inexpensive 18/2.8 and 90/2.8. I think updated (DA) versions of the FA20/2.8 and M100/2.8 packaged in a DA body might be good enough - but they'd have to be cheaper than the existing DA21 and DFA100 macro (and probably bigger than the former but smaller than the latter).
Yes I forgot about the DFA100, but it is a costly alternative for someone looking just for a medium long tele prime. A DA135 ltd would be better and could still come out less expensive than the DFA100 macro and correspond to a film 200mm, often the forth lens you baught after the 28, 50 and 135mm.
I like your 18 and 90mm plan for lenses corresponding to old 28 and 135mm lenses, but they would have to be f2.0 to have a speed that corresponds to f2.8. But 2.8 would be better than the cosumer primes, so I'm all in favor of this idea. But they will consideer 90mm as unnecessary between the 70, 77 and 100mm lenses, and a 18mm as unnecessary between the DA14, DA15ltd, DA21ltd and with the zooms covering this range. Watch the lense road map: the only prime there that is not a ltd, * or DFA macro are the DA14. Will they at all care to do less expensive DA primes? Lets complement the DA14/2.8 with DA28/2.0 and a DA85/90/100/2.8 as less expensive alternatives...checked the lists, DA14 is not directly cheap. This won't work. In any case, I believe they will mainly just put out limited primes and star primes and expect us to use zooms if we aren't prepared to pay for these.

One thing I forgot was to ask for a less expsensive weather sealed normal zoom. When many K20D owners hesitate to buy the DA*16-50 how many K200D owners will? And in the long run, why have a weather sealed body when you cannot afford at least one weathersealed normal zoom???

01-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I was actually thinking about this topic today. I have two that I would like to see:

1) A consumer-grade, weather-sealed 18-125 kit lens. (If they are indeed going to sell themselves as the weather-sealed brand, this is almost a must...I'd like it as the one weather-sealed lens in my kit for those exceptionally bad weather days)
I'll take one of those, too. I wouldn't mind seeing the DA17-70 and the 55-300 weathersealed, either.

Beyond that, Pentax has me pretty well covered in lenses.

Heather
01-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I like your 18 and 90mm plan for lenses corresponding to old 28 and 135mm lenses, but they would have to be f2.0 to have a speed that corresponds to f2.8.
I assume you are alluding the the greater DOF inherent in APS-C for a given FOV. While I cannot argue with this, I'd point out something else: fast lenses are a bigger deal with film, where ISO 400 is about as high as one ever dares push sensitivity. Of course, we all still want f/2.8 anyhow, and indeed, that's kind of a bare minimum for many available light situations.

Anyhow, not that I have anything against f/2.0, but I'm guessing this makes the lens bigger and more expensive. So I'm thinking f/2.8 would actually be a better idea.
01-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Missing a 70ish-200ish/f2.8. Great sporting lens.
Also a 1.4x to go with it for versatility.

01-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I like your 18 and 90mm plan for lenses corresponding to old 28 and 135mm lenses, but they would have to be f2.0 to have a speed that corresponds to f2.8. But 2.8 would be better than the cosumer primes, so I'm all in favor of this idea.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I assume you are alluding the the greater DOF inherent in APS-C for a given FOV. While I cannot argue with this, I'd point out something else: fast lenses are a bigger deal with film, where ISO 400 is about as high as one ever dares push sensitivity. Of course, we all still want f/2.8 anyhow, and indeed, that's kind of a bare minimum for many available light situations.

Anyhow, not that I have anything against f/2.0, but I'm guessing this makes the lens bigger and more expensive. So I'm thinking f/2.8 would actually be a better idea.
Hey Marc, if you cite me a little bit more complete you'll see that I'm all in favor of 2.8 anyway. No need to knock in open doors!

Though Olympus made 2.0 zoom lenses for their four thirds, which might be for this reason. This would correspond to f4 in full frame if I understood this correctly.
01-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Hey Marc, if you cite me a little bit more complete you'll see that I'm all in favor of 2.8 anyway. No need to knock in open doors!
True, sorry about that. Mostly, I posted because I was curious if I was right about why you said they should really be f/2.0 - that's not a claim I hear very often.
01-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Missing a 70ish-200ish/f2.8. Great sporting lens.
I'm guessing with Sigma and Tamron already producing these, Pentax won't bother. And I can't say I blame them - concentrating their efforts on lenses with less competition makes more sense.

QuoteQuote:
Also a 1.4x to go with it for versatility.
That one's on the roadmap already.
01-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #23

From a Canon camp, I miss:

. FA 35mm f/1.4 SDM
. FA 85mm f/1.2 SDM
. FA 100mm f/2.8 macro SDM
. FA 24-70mm f/2.8 SDM

And of course, an affordable FF body.

01-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #24

I think something in this range (24-105mm f4) would be nice. Even though I would need to win the lottery to acquire it, it would be nice to have the option of dreaming about it. lol
01-11-2009, 01:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

300/f2.8
400/f2.8
01-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Being creative here:
DA10/4.0 Limited
DA*135/2.0
DA150/4.0 Macro Limited

Plus a lot more long telephotos are definitely needed.
01-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The idea of a concumer grade 18-125 sounds very good. Make it weather sealed and SDM and its better yet.

Extension tubes... AF wont work but make'em with the electrical contacts for full compatibility with DA lenses.
01-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
The idea of a concumer grade 18-125 sounds very good. Make it weather sealed and SDM and its better yet.

Extension tubes... AF wont work but make'em with the electrical contacts for full compatibility with DA lenses.
I agree that an 18-125 or so, sealed and SDM would be very nice. (DA*16-50 replacement since this lens has such a questionable reputation).

Extension Tubes - Couldn't they be made for SDM lenses so the autofocus will just be another set of contacts?

I would love to see a good consumer grade 100/125/135 to 400/500 zoom. No one seems to sell a 100-500 anymore. I wish my old Samyang version was in better shape. Maybe the renewed Vivitar Series 1 will do it.
01-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #29

Just thinking about one of my favorites from the film era, I truly miss the focal length of the 135mm lens. B/c of the crop factor, I would love to see a pentax DA 90mm LTD or a even a DA* 90mm lens with weatherproofing for those that would require/want it. Besides, I just can't figure out why pentax can not offer a DA LTD version of their DA* lenses? Maybe someone can chime in and explain why they can't produce two lenses with the same focal length in these two versions.
01-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K100Dave Quote
Just thinking about one of my favorites from the film era, I truly miss the focal length of the 135mm lens. B/c of the crop factor, I would love to see a pentax DA 90mm LTD or a even a DA* 90mm lens with weatherproofing for those that would require/want it. Besides, I just can't figure out why pentax can not offer a DA LTD version of their DA* lenses? Maybe someone can chime in and explain why they can't produce two lenses with the same focal length in these two versions.
*-lenses and ltd-lenses are very different beasts. *-lenses are fast, and therefore relatively big and heavy, and make few compromises to achieve this. ltd-lenses are good compromises between picture quality, size and speed with the best all metal built quality, and as such a bit retro. DA-ltds are even more emphasiszing small size than FA-ltds. You may see * and ltd lenses at similar focal lenghts, but they will be different optical solutions, not the same lenses. You will never see a *-lens converted into a ltd or vice verse. Best example, put the 70ltd, 77ltd, FA*85 and A*85 side by side and compare size and weight. Totally different beasts despite that they are all good portrait lenses. But I would not mind a DA*90/1.4 to replace the A*135/1.8 in APS-C, like they appear to replace the FA*85 with the comming DA*55.

Ah, yeh, forgot that they probably prefere to sell us the DA*50-135, which is at its best around the 85'is focal length...