Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Takumar on a k10d

Hello!
I just got a spotmatic 2 days ago and everything seems to work fine. The lens is a takumar 55mm f/1.8 and I know I should get a original pentax screwmount to k/bayonet mount if I want to use it on my k10d.
My question is, is it worth it? What limitations will I have on the k10d? Stop-down metering? I won't have a problem with that if the results are worth it... any examples would be great!
Thanks!

01-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shaloot! Quote
Hello!
I just got a spotmatic 2 days ago and everything seems to work fine. The lens is a takumar 55mm f/1.8 and I know I should get a original pentax screwmount to k/bayonet mount if I want to use it on my k10d.
My question is, is it worth it? What limitations will I have on the k10d? Stop-down metering? I won't have a problem with that if the results are worth it... any examples would be great!
Thanks!
This doesn't really belong in the film camera section.

Yes, it is worth it, and there are a million examples in the Takumar Club thread, easily the busiest thread in the Lens section.
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The takumar club thread? How did I miss that?
Thanks for the redirection!
01-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One trick you need to remember.

When mounting Super Takumars on bodies ... I have made up a little saying I used.

Switch lens to MANUAL for automatic bodies (K10D)
Switch lens to AUTO on Manual bodies (Spotmatic)

It is worth it getting the M42 adaptor for the K10D ... that's how i started out ... and it works like a charm indeed..

It's not a case of limitations ... you get more choices of shutterspeed with the K10D .. and also changing ISO on the fly with digital can be handy in some situations.

01-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I noticed that the previous owner had it on manual, so have it switched to auto after reading up on it. I took a look the photos on in takumar thread and now I need to go ahead and order that adapter!
Thanks for the tip about keeping it on manual for the k10d, though why is that?
01-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #6

Takumar Lenses on a K10D

After picking up a few M42's, I sold of my auto lenses. Now I have 5 M42's and 3 k mount. 50mm 1.8 auto, 1.4 super, 55mm 2.0 super, 200mm 4.0 SMC and a 105mm 2.8 auto. The 1.4 has ridiculous(?) colors as does the 2.0 and the 105 is just super cool. Surprisingly, the 200mm is wonderfully sharp at 4. I don't know if I will get any autos. The most I paid was 40, the 105 2.8 from 1960 and I got the 50mm 1.4 super for free as the metal around the lens cover area was dented. I can't put a filter on it, but who cares. The 1.7 is almost as good as the 1.4, but that is just me. You will love the manuals.

Patrick
01-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I noticed that the previous owner had it on manual, so have it switched to auto after reading up on it. I took a look the photos on in takumar thread and now I need to go ahead and order that adapter!
Wit the K10D ... it needs to stop-down meter.
Now ... if left on Automatic ... it will leave the lens wide-open (even though you have stopped it down manually with the aperture ring) ... so all shots will be at wide-open.

That's why it needs to be on Manual on the K10D to allow you to stop-it-down.

Meter it at wide open (in Av ... or with the green button in M) ... then stop it down and shoot. EASY.

01-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The terms "manual" and "automatic" in the days the lenses were made referred to the aperture opening/closing mechanism. In "automatic" the aperture stayed open until the moment of shooting (just as K-mount lenses do these days) and an aperture activation rod pushed the pin on the back of the lens to close it when you press the shutter. The aperture then opened up again automatically. In "manual" the aperture blades open and close as you move the aperture ring. That worked as the DOF preview on M42 cameras (or in cameras with meter switches turning the meter on/off did the same thing with the lens set to "automatic").

Both film and digital cameras made after the switch the K-mount have no means of operating the aperture mechanism on the M42 lenses. That means that when you shoot, nothing happens to the aperture; it just sits there. There is no physical connection between body and lens. So in order to shoot at any aperture other than wide open you have to put the lens in "manual" and stop down the aperture to your desired setting immediately prior to shooting. I usually leave my lenses at about f4 for focusing, stop down to shoot (counting clicks), and then open back to f4 again immediately after shooting.
01-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Forum Member

Hi.

I have Takumar 55/1.8 and I just love its colors and bokeh.

But I have a question for the focusing...It is always in the center, and I can not re-compose holding the shutter pressed...

How do you proceed when you want to have the focus-point not in the center?

QuoteQuote:
I usually leave my lenses at about f4 for focusing, stop down to shoot (counting clicks), and then open back to f4 again immediately after shooting
I didn't unferstand that...You shoot at f4 or not?....
01-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You don't need to hold the shutter half-pressed to focus. Only do that if you want to use the focus confirmation indicator (the green hexagon).

Or try this:

Half-press shutter while focusing.
Take your finger off the shutter.
Recompose.
Shoot.

The focus will be correct, but the focus indicator won't light up. Not a problem. If you want the exposure to be correct for the off-center subject, try this:

Half-press shutter while focusing.
Press the AE-L button.
Take your finger off the shutter.
Recompose.
Shoot.

In answer to the other question:

I leave the lens set at f4 when not shooting most of the time. It is easy to focus quickly (and with reasonable accuracy) at f4. Most of the time I shoot from my truck while at work and speed is more important than precision. Immediately before shooting, and while still looking through the viewfinder, I turn the aperture to my shooting aperture by counting the clicks of the aperture ring. So, for example, I might focus at f4 and then shoot at f8 or f16. The smaller shooting aperture gives greater DOF, which helps to hide any small focusing errors. After I take the picture, I then reset the aperture to f4 for quick and easy focusing on the next shot. If I have a more leisurely situation and want to be more precise, then I open the aperture completely and focus with the lens wide open. And then I set the aperture to the shooting aperture.
01-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #11
Forum Member

Thank you, Mike, for the kind and datailed reply!
You helped me a lot!

Last edited by Free Soul; 01-12-2009 at 03:09 AM.
01-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Free Soul Quote
Than kyo, Mike, for the kind and datailed reply!
You helped me a lot!

you have an excellent lens with the 55mm 1.8. by far my favorite. do go out and enjoy it with the new information you have gained.
01-12-2009, 03:09 AM   #13
Forum Member

Sure I will! Thanks!
01-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great info here! Ordered my adapter on saturday so should get here end of the week, in time for the weekend! I've just been sitting and looking at the 55mm f/1.8... waiting...wanting...