Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #1

Minolta Rikkon 58mm F1.2

Just found one of these locally and was wondering if someone could tell me how labor intensive it is to do the work to convery over to pentax? I have seen the website that shows how do it to Canon, but was curious about total time involved. Or if it would be easier to sell it to someone and let them go through the trouble and make a couple of bucks.

Patrick

01-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The problem would be the mount register, which is much shorter on the Minolta. You can try and shave off some of the lens body. I had a try with Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 but was unsuccessful.
01-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Over on the Dyxum.com forums, there is a member by the name of Pete Ganzel. He is the single most knowledgeable amateur on the subject of converting any kind of lens to any kind of mount. I recently had him convert a Rokkor 50mm f/1.2 and 85mm f/1.7 to M42-mount so they could be used on just about any camera I could ever use, and he did a smashing job. The pictures from both are of incredible quality. Here is one from the 50/1.2 at f/1.2 on my K200D:

I highly recommend contacting him (search Dyxum or google) if you're really interested in converting. Otherwise, I think I would be the guy to purchase it from you, so I can be further to completing my collection
01-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wally,
Does it focus at infinity? Minolta tends to put the apeture linkage in the mount, making it harder to shorten the lens to correct the registration distance. This is true on the MC and MD mounts that I have. It would be nice to know if it is easier on the earlier models.

Regards,
Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Over on the Dyxum.com forums, there is a member by the name of Pete Ganzel. He is the single most knowledgeable amateur on the subject of converting any kind of lens to any kind of mount. I recently had him convert a Rokkor 50mm f/1.2 and 85mm f/1.7 to M42-mount so they could be used on just about any camera I could ever use, and he did a smashing job. The pictures from both are of incredible quality. Here is one from the 50/1.2 at f/1.2 on my K200D:

I highly recommend contacting him (search Dyxum or google) if you're really interested in converting. Otherwise, I think I would be the guy to purchase it from you, so I can be further to completing my collection

01-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Dave, yes the converted lens focus *very slightly* past infinity. So slight that it will act as infinity at f/2.8 or smaller. Pete does an incredible job with conversions and puts a lot of effort and heart into each one. Highly recommendable. The lens even lines up correctly at 12 o'clock in the mount!

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Wally,
Does it focus at infinity? Minolta tends to put the apeture linkage in the mount, making it harder to shorten the lens to correct the registration distance. This is true on the MC and MD mounts that I have. It would be nice to know if it is easier on the earlier models.

Regards,
Dave
03-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Hey Dave, yes the converted lens focus *very slightly* past infinity. So slight that it will act as infinity at f/2.8 or smaller. Pete does an incredible job with conversions and puts a lot of effort and heart into each one. Highly recommendable. The lens even lines up correctly at 12 o'clock in the mount!
Wally,

could you tell more about this lens. Maybe you can publish some shots and tell what is your opinion comparing to other fast lenses - please.
03-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

interesting lens...the Pentax k 50mm f/1.2 renders things in a very similar way, albeit coma is better controlled on the Pentax and that has a big impact on bokeh especially at closer focusing distances...in terms of optical aberrations the Minolta and the pentax seem to be on par. though I would need to see more images to confirm this.
03-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotr Quote
Wally,

could you tell more about this lens. Maybe you can publish some shots and tell what is your opinion comparing to other fast lenses - please.
+1 with PRETTY PLEASE.....