Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2023, 10:50 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I just ordered a used Olympus 12-45mm f4 Pro which showed up at a local shop. I've handled the lens before, and it's well put together, quite small, and (from what I've seen) sharp and great IQ throughout the zoom and aperture range. I'll have enough time to try it out before making a decision. The 24-90mm equivalent focal range is nice, and, while f4 maximum aperture in Micro Four Thirds is not great (initially I thought the idea of this lens was ridiculous, till the IQ convinced me it had some merit), the IBIS in the EM5 II is really excellent. And I still like the images from the 16mp sensor. It's from the era where, as many have noted, the only real limitation is the eye behind the camera.

If I do decide on this plus the GRIIIx, I know I'll have capable gear which packs very well, isn't conspicuous, and which I know how to use well... but I also know that a small part of me will be sad I didn't have the incredible results of the K-1 II with a great lens in great light. That might just be where to make the compromise, though.

12-18-2023, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That sounds like a good compromise. Those micro-four-thirds cameras really punch above their weight - literally and figuratively. My daughter has a first-gen Olympus Pen with the kit lens, and took it along when we went on a trip to Iceland about 4 years ago. I was really wowed by the great images that came out of that camera. I made some 16x20 prints that have excellent resolution and little to no noise - impressive for an older 12MP sensor. And the colours are wonderful - very much like Pentax, rich and warm. I don't think you'll be lacking in the image quality department with your Olympus and the GRiiix

Have a great trip!
12-26-2023, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One of the images brought back from Rome.

Samsung NX1100 with Samsung 45mm f/1.8
12-29-2023, 01:06 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
but I also know that a small part of me will be sad I didn't have the incredible results of the K-1 II with a great lens in great light
Or, incredible results of the K-1 II with a great lens in not so great light, like at night, in dimly lit interiors etc.

A lot of excellent advice here although a little contradicting at times and the only way to find what works for you is doing some test trips before (like your ferry trip to Victoria).

GR III and IIIx duo makes for a fantastic travel kit especially when paired with their respective wide and tele adapters and a smartphone app to provide GPS location as you take photos (using the app with two GRs is worth a dedicated photowalk just to iron out misc issues). Using wide and tele adapters you have 21-28-40-75 mm equivalent kit with a constant 2.8 aperture and 24 megapixel APS-C sensor at your disposal at 21-28 and 40 mm (16 megapixel at 75 mm). And you have backup should one of the cameras fail! Just take several spare batteries and a powerbank for your smartphone.

That said, during several of my last trips the GRs stayed in a pocket most of the time and I used them only when using a big camera would be inappropriate or I didn't feel comfortable about it. My main camera was K-1 II with Limiteds and probably 95% of the photos were taken with a 31mm. I like the quality of pictures better, I like the experience of using a SLR camera and I like the built in GPS of the K-1/K-1 II! Just have to remember to calibrate it at the beginning of the day.