Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I knew you were going to like it. I would love to have this lens, but have not seen one for sale in a long time. Thanks for sharing the fuits of your good fortune!
No thanks. I must say I'm really impressed with the lens, there's something in the pictures I cannot explain. I'm going to compare this lens to three others in my collection:

- FA 77/1.8 Limited
- S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8
- Jupiter-9 85/2

Let's see which one wins optically. Mechanically, I favor the Takumar. Taks are so smooth, that it's unbelievable. The Pancolar is more rough but that might change if I add new grease.

BTW: My Aus Jena MC S 135/3.5 also has this reddish coating. Quite normal for MC lenses. Here are my Sonnar shots; there's really something to them...

01-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great shots again! I wonder how some of these lenses would work for portraiture. I'm going to have to find some victims.

I hope my pancolor comes in this week so I can test it out this weekend.
02-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #33
Pentaxian

This topic needs to be more busy!

I made these today. It's good to remind ourselves of the fact that we're only here for a short time, and that we really should make the best of it.

With Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/4 Sonnar (Alu):

With Carl Zeiss Jena 80mm f/1.8 Pancolar:

02-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My vote is for number 6 and number 12. I like the composition the colour and the textures.

03-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Bump...

Relating to Peter/Asahiflex's Alu Sonnar, here's another one from that era (early 50s probably),
CZJ Biotar 2/58 @f/2 on K100D nocrop no pp. The hinman made me do it :-)

[IMGWIDELEFT]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3644/3336286950_39004cb302_b.jpg[/IMGWIDELEFT]
Best, Georg (the other)
03-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #36

I saw lot of commentary about the CZJ Flektogon 2,4/35.

I have it, and found that is very and unpleasen't soft at the corners till F/8-11.

Obviously, all the lens are soft wide open and so, but this lens is very sharp at center, and this is opposite to the softs corners.

I prefer the pancolar 1,8/50, which is not so sharp at center (at F/8 they are practically equals) but is more sharp at borders. Pancolar is more even in all the image.
03-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by estudleon Quote
I saw lot of commentary about the CZJ Flektogon 2,4/35.

I have it, and found that is very and unpleasen't soft at the corners till F/8-11.
That's weird, it's not something I have noticed. To be frank I use mine either wide open (which as you say, you expect not to be razor sharp) or at f/5.6. I don't usually go as narrow as f/11. (Heck, I am in England, so I need as much light as possible!)

Here's an example from last weekend. This is at f/5.6, I think. Please excuse the lack of composition, but I was trying to find something where I could see something in the corners that I could compare (in the other photos I took I was trying to compose the cranes over the theatre). This is the RSC at Stratford on Avon.

I can see the trees in the bottom left, the scaffolding at the bottom right and the crane in the top left and right pretty much in focus. Indeed, if you follow the scaffolding from the bottom centre to the right, it looks in focus to me. That's why I find it weird that you think it is unpleasantly soft in the corners.

Of course, I am using a K100D with a APS-C crop, are you referring to the Flek on a full frame body (of which I have no experience)?

It was very grey last Saturday and so most of the photos were ho-hum, but that is England :-(

Richard
03-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at tests before I bought a CZJ 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon. Corner softness does appear to be a major issue on 35mm film, but the APS-C sensor supposedly eliminates much of this. I haven't used mine much, but I haven't noticed problems in the corners on a K100d. I did shoot some film with it, but still in the camera.

03-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Nice shots Klif all three of them,
except the last one shows some color banding, which I think is due to postprocess.

I can complement Peter's graveyard series, here's some shots from the Biotar again, all full open and no pp except cropping. I've put a skylight 1B on the lens.

Best, Georg (the other)
03-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
That's weird, it's not something I have noticed. To be frank I use mine either wide open (which as you say, you expect not to be razor sharp) or at f/5.6. I don't usually go as narrow as f/11. (Heck, I am in England, so I need as much light as possible!)

Here's an example from last weekend. This is at f/5.6, I think. Please excuse the lack of composition, but I was trying to find something where I could see something in the corners that I could compare (in the other photos I took I was trying to compose the cranes over the theatre). This is the RSC at Stratford on Avon.

I can see the trees in the bottom left, the scaffolding at the bottom right and the crane in the top left and right pretty much in focus. Indeed, if you follow the scaffolding from the bottom centre to the right, it looks in focus to me. That's why I find it weird that you think it is unpleasantly soft in the corners.

Of course, I am using a K100D with a APS-C crop, are you referring to the Flek on a full frame body (of which I have no experience)?

It was very grey last Saturday and so most of the photos were ho-hum, but that is England :-(

Richard
Yes Richard, we are talking about two differents situations. I FF. In APS-C is other thing. And your pic is nice, thanks for sharing.
03-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Good stuff from the Sonnar once more Klif,
and no more artefacts.

Ping & Pong, so here I am again with one more from the cemetery .-)

CZJ Biotar 2/58 on K100D f/6.3 (just not enough for hyperfocal to the bottom)

Best, Georg (the other)
06-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
No thanks. I must say I'm really impressed with the lens, there's something in the pictures I cannot explain. I'm going to compare this lens to three others in my collection:

- FA 77/1.8 Limited
- S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8
- Jupiter-9 85/2

Let's see which one wins optically. Mechanically, I favor the Takumar. Taks are so smooth, that it's unbelievable. The Pancolar is more rough but that might change if I add new grease.
Did you compared Pancolar and lenses on the list?
03-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I'd be also interested in the comparison. Recently I compared the 80/1.8 electric pancolar with my newly acquired FA*85 and it is plain impossible to pick better of those two...