Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Interesting thread and comments.

I'd like to make just one point. If you'd like to make candid shots, the pancake lenses are ideal. I was out one day using a 50mm lens and my Tamy 18-250 trying to get a bicycle in motion in our small downtown streets. It was amazing to me how the length of a zoom and even a 50mm lens would catch the attention of a bicyclist in motion. People are very sensitive, mentally, to being looked at. Its inherent in our species.

With pancake lenses, the person being looked at cannot ever be sure who the photo is taken of.

About a year ago, i took a photo of our govenor on a street with the DA-21. Her security guard was close and not concerned. I was able to crop out unnecessary stuff and ended up with a nice portrait that was still sharp. Its a good lens to have for street stuff but lacks in getting those closer photos of peoples faces unless you are up and close.

I don't have a DA-40 or DA-70, or their nearby FA lenses, but i think they would be ideal for street photography because of their zero projection, and the inability of anyone on the street to tell exactly what you are looking at.

I did have one other experience that relates, i took an evening time delay picture, delayed by 2 seconds of our downtown street lights on a tripod right next to the street. After i set it up regards the framing of the street, it didn't look like i was taking any pictures of any specific person because i would step away from the camera, or look in another direction while the photos were being taken by camera timers. Noone seem to feel singled out. With a tripod, also, i suspect noone probably felt i was doing any spying on anyone. Generated not one question even though i spent over 20 minutes taking 20 or so pictures. Also on public property, i was within my legal rights taking pictures.

01-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I actually use a 70-300mm for my street stuff, I love being a fair distance away and really capturing people being candid and unawares.
01-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
I actually use a 70-300mm for my street stuff, I love being a fair distance away and really capturing people being candid and unawares.
This sounds illegal :P
01-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #19

I prefer the DA40, it's nice and small and ideal for hipshooting.

01-11-2009, 04:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
you dont always haves to shoot wide however look at some of the posts put up by Mike Cash who shots alot with the Takumar 105 for his street shots........
I should probably point out for anyone who doesn't know me that I need the extra length because my "street" photography is actually done from the street and not from the sidewalk.
01-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others have said, it really depends on your shooting style. I tend to prefer longer FLs but a BIG lens can be pretty unwieldy and scary for your subjects. I use the 43mm & 77mm (but the 40 & 70mm pancakes would be even more discreet) and, sometimes (say, in festival settings) the DA 55-300mm.
01-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
This sounds illegal :P
I think it is up to your country's legislation: in France, it is (without model release), in Finland, it is not (unless you are shooting for commercial purposes).

My Saturday's whole-day photo session was reduced into couple of hours, so I concentrated on testing my kit. After that, I'm quite sure that these three pancakes are what is needed in street photography, at least that's all I'm gonna need. I have a small Domke F-5XB and I was able to fit body + three lenses, spare battery and memory cards and... well, what else one needs? While DA70 has it's place (it is not really long for candids but suits well and can be used as a potrait lens, too) my most used lens was DA40. The focal lenght seemed right, although I wasn't able to test DA21 as much as I wished for. I'm gonna put that into a serious field test on next Saturday.

I included couple of pictures, one from the local market w DA70 and another from a woman begging in the street with DA40. Those are hardly art, and there are no decisive moments present... Just converted them with ACR, no Photoshopping. From the days picture's, I liked most of that beggar image which was shot "from the neck" (rather than hip). It isn't tecnically perfect, far from it, but I managed to get all the essentials into that image without looking into the viewfinder - something I've been practicing for. I think I can make something out of it, or what do you think?

Attached Images

01-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote

this is exactly why I would like a digital SLR with interchangeable finders.
01-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
I have trouble with this, with the huge THUNK of the mirror/shutter when I'm close enough with the DA40.

Is it worse to get in their face and snap one off, or to get caught shooting from the hip?
01-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this is exactly why I would like a digital SLR with interchangeable finders.
To be honest most of the time while hipshooting i just vaguely point my cam in the right direction and hope for the best. Hurray for the digital age!

QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
I have trouble with this, with the huge THUNK of the mirror/shutter when I'm close enough with the DA40.

Is it worse to get in their face and snap one off, or to get caught shooting from the hip?
I'm happy that my K20D has a much more subtile sound then the K10D. If people notice, just smile and explain what you're doing.

Another tactic is to be there so prominent that people strangely enough ignore you. However this technique requires some serious balls.
01-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote

I'm quite sure that my K20D soesn't sound like that... Is is surprisingly quiet compared to a Canon 5D or 1D. And it is rarely so quiet in the streets that someone would notice the sound of my camera. But, there's always Da70 so you don't need to be so close...