Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Problem with my "new" Vivitar lens (was expected, not panicking)

As you may know, I bought a bunch of lenses last weekend. One of them was a Vivitar 70-300/4.2-5.8. The lens had a small problem with the aperture not opening up in A mode, but it stops down or up if I use the ring. I thought I might be able to pick this one apart one day and play with it.

I played with it a bit last week and saw what may be causing the problem, I learned how to get it to open up but can't get it to stay. It will stay that way from 70-200 in A mode (250 if I push it) but when I go further, POP!! Something internal springs loose and the aperture closes up. To fix it I have to get my finger into the lens and push something to reset it. How do I get that to stay put?

I did a quick google to see if there are any repair manuals, but can't find any.

Any suggestions? I'll see if I can post shots tonight after my dinner. Thanks!

03-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha my Sigma's the exact opposite. When I use the aperture ring, the blades are unresponsive. They stay closed in f32 position. If I use "A" position, it stops down properly. grr..
03-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
As you may know, I bought a bunch of lenses last weekend. One of them was a Vivitar 70-300/4.2-5.8. The lens had a small problem with the aperture not opening up in A mode, but it stops down or up if I use the ring. I thought I might be able to pick this one apart one day and play with it.

I played with it a bit last week and saw what may be causing the problem, I learned how to get it to open up but can't get it to stay. It will stay that way from 70-200 in A mode (250 if I push it) but when I go further, POP!! Something internal springs loose and the aperture closes up. To fix it I have to get my finger into the lens and push something to reset it. How do I get that to stay put?

I did a quick google to see if there are any repair manuals, but can't find any.

Any suggestions? I'll see if I can post shots tonight after my dinner. Thanks!
Alvin are there any camera repair places near you? Not to take the lens in for repair (that's probably not worth it) but to see if they know of a source for repair manuals. It's worth a shot anyway. I got some good musical instrument repair manuals that way.

NaCl(the worst they can do is throw you out)H2O