Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I think you should sell the Tamron 28-75 since you already have DA*16-50 and Sigma 70/2.8 , that would help negate the nagging thought of three lenses covering 35mm.

The 35/2 is terrifically sharp but as a consequence IMO its rendering is quite "harsh". If you're into edge sharpness, architectural pics etc. it's the lens to get; but for subjects with subtle variations in color shades (faces for example) it doesn't "paint" as nicely as the 31/43Ltd. This is from my experience having owned all three lenses.

01-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
"that would help negate the nagging thought of three lenses covering 35mm."

There now you've hit the nail on the head- overlap! And I've currently got 3 lenses that all cover 50 mm as well. I'm certainly keen on buying a new lens but I also dislike redundancy. Perhaps the "collection" needs to be trimmed. (Not that I'm into collecting- reminds me of a buddy who owns this really "cool" chromed-out Harley; all show and no go! I value functionality.) That Tamron is a pretty nice lens but it was also an impulse buy, nothing I really needed. Getting rid of one, in exchange for the other (FA 35) WOULD certainly relieve me of any guilt!
01-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
I think you should sell the Tamron 28-75 since you already have DA*16-50 and Sigma 70/2.8 , that would help negate the nagging thought of three lenses covering 35mm.

The 35/2 is terrifically sharp but as a consequence IMO its rendering is quite "harsh". If you're into edge sharpness, architectural pics etc. it's the lens to get; but for subjects with subtle variations in color shades (faces for example) it doesn't "paint" as nicely as the 31/43Ltd. This is from my experience having owned all three lenses.
I may agree on both these points - you may find yourself not using the Tammy 28-75 much if that 16-50 is a good copy.

And yes, the FA 35 does not have quite the rendering capability of the 31ltd or 43ltd, but it has a better indoor FOV than the 43 and is much cheaper than the 31 - and is just as sharp at large apertures as both of them, or nearly so.

It can take shots like below effortlessly - not great art there, but it's actually a tough shot - FOV of 43ltd would have been tighter than I wanted, DA 35 2.8 too slow, etc... 31ltd would have nailed it like that, but so can the FA 35, and I think the tonality and skin tones are just fine.

01-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Decided in favor...

"And I've currently got 3 lenses that all cover 50 mm as well."

What the heck, guess I can't count- make that FOUR. Well, see what I mean?

Good points, all appreciated. Yes, my DA*16-50, -is- a good copy (should be, Pentax replaced my original under warranty!), and I like that lens a lot. I really don't use the Tamron much- one of it's initial "attractions" was its "macro" (well, more like "close focus") capability. But it's no comparison to the Sigma 70 in that regard, so the point is moot. Plus I'm pretty zoom-heavy; everyone needs a couple good primes, right?

Nice shot J- very nice skin tones and you seem to always nail the exposure. That's one beautiful baby!

Thanks for everyone's input. Time to break out the plastic.

01-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
+1, on all counts, though I do still have pangs for that FA 31mm...
Buy the 31mm - you will still have occasional use for the 35mm, too. The 35mm is just so small and also sharper than the 31mm, at least in the center. So for some occasions it is a better choice, despite the overall more pleasing image quality of the 31mm (I have both...)

Ben
01-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It can take shots like below effortlessly - not great art there, but it's actually a tough shot - FOV of 43ltd would have been tighter than I wanted, DA 35 2.8 too slow, etc... 31ltd would have nailed it like that, but so can the FA 35, and I think the tonality and skin tones are just fine.

While I like that shot a lot as is, I have a somewhat interesting observation here (and it's not a criticism at all): I actually would have preferred the FOV of the FA43 for this shot, I think. At least, I'm imagining it cropping out some of the stairs toward the top, coming closer to the elbow on the right (or perhaps even cutting it off), also cropping out a bit more of the person to the left. That's what my eye would have gone for in that setting. Which just goes to how subjective these things are. But it does help explain why some people find 40mm an awkward focal length while I find it amazingly perfect, amazingly often.

BTW, the other way I might have framed that same shot with a 40 or 43 would have been to include *more* of the person on the left, although from the look of it, the lighting was different enough between the two subjects that this might not have worked that well.
01-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPS came today!

Thanks to all who assisted in my decision on the FA 35. Verdict- I love this lens!!! Fast and sharp, and its light weight compared to the zooms allows it to be used at much slower shutter speeds hand-held. Definitely a keeper! Thanks again. (Go ahead and say it, "I told you so"! )
Paul