Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trouble with my FA 80 - 320 4.5/5.6.....

I've had my K20D for about a month now, and I can't seem to figure out this one issue I'm having. When I set it it to Tv mode in order to control the exposure, the following happens.....

- When using the "kit" lens (DA 18 - 55 3.5/5.6) I can set the shutter speed using th front e-dial just fine.

- When using the SMC FA 80 - 320 4.5/5.6 lens that I bought for my Zx-5n about 10 years ago I can't seem to set the shutter speed in Tv mode. In the viewfinder, the shutter speed just switches back and forth depending on the lighting, while the aperture just keeps reading "- -". The aperature ring is set to "A".

It's frustraring, as I'm trying to get some shots at my son's basketball games, and as you can imagine 9 out of every 10 shots don't freeze the action because i can't control the shutter speed. While it IS indoors, there seems to be ample light, and I've even tried "tricking" the camera by thinking - if it WAS a light issue - I'll point the camera directly at one of the lights because THEN I should be able to get enough light at f5.6 to be able to set the shutter speed, but no go. It does GIVE me a faster shutter speed, but it still doesn't allow me to set it with the front e-dial.

I wasn't sure if it was the lens or the camera for sure - until I tried my other Zx-5n lens - an FA 28 - 70 4/5.6. That one DOES allow me to set the shutter speed, so I'm assuming I have an issue with my FA 80 - 320 lens - as opposed to a camera issue.
I've tried rotating the aperture ring on it to be sure the pin works, and it moves just fine - so it's not stuck/sticking.
Any other ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Tim

01-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
- When using the SMC FA 80 - 320 4.5/5.6 lens that I bought for my Zx-5n about 10 years ago I can't seem to set the shutter speed in Tv mode.
Odd, I think it should work. I've used this lens on a K100D and could use Tv mode, as expected.

Perhaps one of the contacts on the lens mount needs cleaning? Sorry, this is not very helpful but at least you get a free bump.
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Odd, I think it should work. I've used this lens on a K100D and could use Tv mode, as expected.

Perhaps one of the contacts on the lens mount needs cleaning? Sorry, this is not very helpful but at least you get a free bump.
Thanks Class A.
As I have never cleaned the contacts on my lenses before, could someone please clue me in on the best method(s)?

Thanks,

Tim
01-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Does everything work properly in AV mode when it is set on A? I have one that did not work on the A setting & I sent it off to be fixed last year.

01-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It really does sound like an A setting fault on the lens...as in...it doesn't lock OR the A contact has come loose OR the A contact needs cleaning.

I cleaned off a contact on one of my PK-A Adaptalls but I honestly can't remember what with...
01-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I tried cleaning on mine but it was not successful. Ended up sending to KEH for repairs. They had to replace and electronic part and it works great again.