Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax newbie aaarrrggghhh!

I gotta admit its gonna take me a while to get the hang of all the different lens prefixes available to Pentax.

In the meantime i will probably be posting an occasional request for understanding here, im normally pretty good at deducing the variants by reading reviews and forums etc

Im looking for something tight to go on my k20, i was a big fan of the canon 85mm and it appears that Pentax makes a ripper too, unfortunately i do a lot of very dark shooting and need something with an auto fine focus.

What is the best lens in that area offered by pentax? Is it the 77mm? if so by how far? What is closest?

Any other advice/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

01-10-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do your research, pentax lenses here: Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

I'd recommend you get this: PENTAX DA Limited Medium Telephoto Lens for Digital SLRs and Compacts: smc PENTAX DA 70mm F2.4 Limited

or if you have money to burn this one: PENTAX FA Telephoto Limited Lens for Digital SLRs and Compacts: smc PENTAX FA 77mm F1.8 Limited this lens will become a 115mm lens when you take the 1.5 crop factor into account

I have to honest on all brands not many of the lenses can focus well at f1.8 in low light.
I use a manual focus f/1.7 lens for my lowlight. It takes a while to get used to but its second nature once you've got it.
01-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Here's a site with specs on virtually all Pentax K-mount lenses ever made:

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

If you are referring to 1.5 crop factor cameras when you say you like Canon's 85, then the FA77 is indeed the closest current lens. There is the DA70, but it's shorter and slower (but cheaper!). Then there are any number of older (mostly manual) 85's, too.

But if you were referring to using the 85 on 35mm format, then the soon-to-be-released DA*55/1.4 would be the closest match.
01-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mark !

The 77 sounds amazing, what concerns me is the slow AF, how does it compare to other glass in that focal length vicinity, ie and what kind of trade off on optics?

01-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quenched Quote
Thanks Mark !

The 77 sounds amazing, what concerns me is the slow AF, how does it compare to other glass in that focal length vicinity, ie and what kind of trade off on optics?
The AF is a bit slow in low light situations, but I mostly use MF there anyway, I've found it to be more accurate, even with faster focusing lenses. As far as image quality goes I'd put it right up there with ANY glass from ANY manufacturer in that range but don take my word for it. Check out this Luminous Landscape article sm-02-05-02

NaCl(an absolute jem of a lens)H2O
01-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
tHANKS MAN