Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is the hood really usefull on the DA 16-45???

Just wondering if it's worth dragging that piece of plastic around. Got lens recently... have to admit it's one peculiar beast... But will pass as a travel lens with flying colors...

01-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Damn Brit

If nothing else, it will protect the front element and if you use a filter it will protect that.
You probably don't need it all the time but if you are shooting in bright light it will help stop flare.
01-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If nothing else, it will protect the front element and if you use a filter it will protect that.
You probably don't need it all the time but if you are shooting in bright light it will help stop flare.
Perhaps just for the sake of front element protection... other than that it looks too narrow to make any difference flare-wize... But thanks anyways...
01-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if it helps, but I'm getting my 16-45 in the next weeks and I'm really eager to see if it has any effect or not.

01-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Glare haze should be helped a bit
I do tend to use it when I can, but often I don't. It isn't like the sky falls and the lens sucks without the shade

Oh and I never use it when I have the lens on a film cam, as it vignettes
01-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That hood is essential for flare control, especially in a bright day light.

Especially if you are shooting a scene with high contrast, the hood is essential.
01-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, it is best with any lens to always use the hood..

1) flare control
2) helps protect the front element
01-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have found this lens pretty flare resistance and almost never used the hood, except as protection when not using the cap.

01-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Alan, Australians do find this lens hood essential.

We are dealing with harsh sun everyday here. My waterfall photography suffers a lot from lens flare by using this zoom. The other problem is purple fringeing. It is something that drives me mad a lot before I sell the lens.

Yes, careful consideration in terms of composition and avoiding tilting of the camera to reduce the chance of flare would be more important than relying on the lens hood to do the job. However, the lens hood on Da 16-45 helps my images to have flare to a minimum. Then I could photoshop the rest out which will be a much easier job for me.
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #10

Why didn't Pentax make 16-45 hood like FA28-70 hood? Attachable to lens barrel, not extending element.
01-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I never use a hood on any of my lenses except for the small spin-on hood for the 43ltd. I do use a good (B+W) uv filter on everything. I consider lens flare a feature, not a bug. But I'm weird...so ymmv.
01-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #12
Banned

I use a hood on my Takumar 55mm...

I think its worth dragging around if you use the lens often in harsh lighting conditions. if you know however that what your using it for wont create a serious flare problem then you may not need it. I think its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it but I think you should evaluate how you use the lens before deciding to leave it at home.

though I think more often than not you will likely need it.
01-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I never use a hood on any of my lenses except for the small spin-on hood for the 43ltd. I do use a good (B+W) uv filter on everything. I consider lens flare a feature, not a bug. But I'm weird...so ymmv.
In deed, flare can be good or bad depending how you want to apply it to any image. However, doing classic landscape with emphasis on colour and mood would be better without flare.

I love flare when the images are more about impact
01-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I bought the DA16-45 2nd hand without the hood/box (impulse...shoulda waited another week). Most situations, I've not missed the hood. There's been a few close calls but nothing major I couldn't wipe off the lens.

I recently just got one of those screw on 67mm petal lens hood and the first thing I noticed with the 16-45 properly crowned was. (oh look at THIS!).. ..."LOOK OUT PEOPLE, CRAZY PRO COMING THROUGH!!"