Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just a quick note to say my Samyang 85/1.4 arrived today. Based on a few very quick test shots I have to say I am really rather impressed. The only things I would change (so far) is that a slightly closer minimum focal distance would be good - and as others have said, the hood is not really the best.

I am lucky enough to already have an A50/1.2 as well as the Revuenon 55/1.2 and I think this will help with my slight frustration over the focal length of these two. I will do my best to shoot something worthy of posting before too long!

John

07-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #152
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Just a quick note to say my Samyang 85/1.4 arrived today. Based on a few very quick test shots I have to say I am really rather impressed. The only things I would change (so far) is that a slightly closer minimum focal distance would be good - and as others have said, the hood is not really the best.
Mine just turned up today and I'd agree with the points above.
The hood is cheaply constructed compared to the rest of the lens.

I'd heard it was a well made lens, but it's even better than expected. It's also slightly smaller than I thought it would be.
The focus ring with very well dampened, maybe even slightly too much so. It may well loosen up a little in time.

For the money it's a stunning lens.
I'll be using it almost exclusively for video work; it should be very well suited to the close ups that I had trouble with on my 50mm.
08-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #153
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the difference between the Samyang and the Rokinon 85mm f1.4?
08-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
What is the difference between the Samyang and the Rokinon 85mm f1.4?
Optically nothing. Samyang is the designer and manufacturer, and they are a South Korean/Japanese company. In various places around the world they partner with different distributors who re-badge their lenses, so you'll see Samyang lenses sold as Rokinon, Vivitar, Polar, Bower, Opteka, Falcon, etc. Sometimes the focus grip is a different style, but they're all the same optically.

08-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #155
Site Supporter

Thank you
08-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #156
Forum Member

Thanks a lot for doing this review, your efforts are appreciated!
01-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #157
Forum Member

Just one thing to note. My lens developed a fault with the front element where it became loose in the body.
I don't know if this fault is common.
The lens is currently away being repaired.
01-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #158
Site Supporter

Thanks

Interesting, thanks for the update. I have the Rokinon for a while, and while the focus is not butterly smooth, it does fine. IQ is super.

01-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Just one thing to note. My lens developed a fault with the front element where it became loose in the body.
I don't know if this fault is common.
The lens is currently away being repaired.
I noticed that at some point about a month after I got the lens that the front element had unscrewed itself about a half a turn, but using a cleaning cloth I was able to reseat the front element by turning it clockwise without any effect to the optics.
01-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #160
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
I noticed that at some point about a month after I got the lens that the front element had unscrewed itself about a half a turn, but using a cleaning cloth I was able to reseat the front element by turning it clockwise without any effect to the optics.
Well I thought I'd tried that, but apparently I didn't quite rotate it enough. Another 10 degrees and it was nice and solid.
Luck for me I hadn't sent the package yet.