Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ltdstar Quote
wow looks like iq is better than Nikkor, maybe even bokeh and flare control too...interesting...can't wait to get my copy...
And yet from the photos posted here it looks quite mediocre. Be interesting to see someone post a photo that wouldn't be much better with the FA77.

01-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #62

I will certainly do a comparison w/ the FA77...if Samyang lens ever gonna arrive...
01-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #63
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
And yet from the photos posted here it looks quite mediocre. Be interesting to see someone post a photo that wouldn't be much better with the FA77.
Part of the mediocre part may be "photographer error" on my part. Even so, this is a well built lens, has nice bokeh, is sharp enough for portraits (unless you need to print out at huge sizes), and is 85mm at 1.4, to play around with dof. Also, at $250-$300, it is an affordable lens. But...it isn't a 77 limited, or an FA/A* 85. Those lenses are MUCH more expensive though. My eyes need autofocus though, and I will eventually get the 77 limited.
01-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Apparently the Vivitar Series 1 version is available from Adorama:
VIV85MMP Vivitar Series 1 85mm f/1.4 Manual Macro Lens for Pentax Film & Digital SLR Cameras

01-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
It's f1.7 from the EXIFs.
Well, still inspecting the EXIF, it says:

smc PENTAX-A 85mm F1.4

So, the images might not be from the lens we all think it is...
(or they "steal" a Pentax lens ID which wouldn't be nice either)
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #66
Igilligan

I wonder if they really have it...

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Apparently the Vivitar Series 1 version is available from Adorama:
VIV85MMP Vivitar Series 1 85mm f/1.4 Manual Macro Lens for Pentax Film & Digital SLR Cameras
That is a very interesting listing at Adorama... no picture and it is listed as:

Vivitar Series 1 85mm f/1.4 Manual Macro Lens

An 85mm macro lens with a 3.3 ft min focus distance... I dont think so
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #67
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, still inspecting the EXIF, it says:

smc PENTAX-A 85mm F1.4

So, the images might not be from the lens we all think it is...
(or they "steal" a Pentax lens ID which wouldn't be nice either)
Not sure I'm still inspecting the belly button shot....
01-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Myoptimism Quote
Also, at $250-$300, it is an affordable lens. But...it isn't a 77 limited, or an FA/A* 85. Those lenses are MUCH more expensive though. My eyes need autofocus though, and I will eventually get the 77 limited.
The FA77 can be had for $600 and this one goes for $400 unless I missed a price somewhere. Some might consider a $200 premium for a smaller lens with auto-focus and better IQ to be a pretty good deal.

Of course the FA/A* 85 are indeed much more expensive.

01-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #69
Forum Member

The FA77 can be had for $600 and this one goes for $400 unless I missed a price somewhere. Some might consider a $200 premium for a smaller lens with auto-focus and better IQ to be a pretty good deal.

Of course the FA/A* 85 are indeed much more expensive.
The ebay price from Australia is about $300 ($275 plus shipping). I got lucky (or not based on your opinion) and got mine for about $250 including shipping.
Some might be tempted to forgo autofocus and gain a longer focal length and a 2/3 stop faster lens for more control over the depth of field for half the price, and some might not. Different strokes for different folks. Regardless, this lens might be interesting to some people, even if you don't have any interest.
01-29-2009, 05:08 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Regardless, this lens might be interesting to some people, even if you don't have any interest.
Don't get me wrong, I am interested, but was hoping for better IQ. That might still reveal itself.

Certainly the prices for this are all over the place. At $250 it makes a lot more sense.
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #71
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My eyes need autofocus though

Here is a simple and effective tutorial on getting your manual focus technique down. It's written by Godfrey at DPR, thanks Godders!

It will take only a short time to master manual focus. For me, the key is to observe the "pop" when you make the transition from sharp to blurry.

Click here: Re: Is a KatzEye required for those using manual focus?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Just got this yesterday:

Code:
<ausales@onlinedigitalshop.com> wrote:

Dear James,

Thanks for your email.

We have not yet received the fresh stock from the manufacturer. Sorry for
the delay in delivery. Please send us your paypal email address and we will
arrange for the refund.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard. If you have
any further queries or clarifications, please do write to us. We assure you
the best of our services at all times.

Regards,
Anu

For the best bargains in town:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/OnlineDigitalShop

So I'll be taking a refund, and maybe wait until this lens 'cooks' for a while

Disappointing, but the seller responded to emails immediately and didn't try to string me along, which I appreciated.

Look forward to seeing more shots from this lens!

01-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #73
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That Sucks Jay. I really wanted to see what you thought of this lens. I hear you can make a toilet paper tube produce great shots!! Wanna post the link to your PPG. I need to see this shot!
02-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #74
Forum Member

Don't get me wrong, I am interested, but was hoping for better IQ. That might still reveal itself.

Certainly the prices for this are all over the place. At $250 it makes a lot more sense.
Well, for the price, I was interested and am actually happy with the results. Of course, different people have different expectations and not everyone will accept somewhat soft wide open portraits (although, when printed [not a 100% crop obviously], I am very happy)
Is the da77 a better lens...yes, in most ways, but this lens gives more control over dof, and is perfectly fine for portraits.
My main issue (I don't mind the mild softness), is the bokeh CA's, which are terrible and somewhat noticeable (if you don't minimize them in PP), even in relatively small prints.
02-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #75
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Here is a simple and effective tutorial on getting your manual focus technique down. It's written by Godfrey at DPR, thanks Godders!

It will take only a short time to master manual focus. For me, the key is to observe the "pop" when you make the transition from sharp to blurry.

Click here: Re: Is a KatzEye required for those using manual focus?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Hi Tranq, I read about "trap focus" which you wrote about earlier, but didn't find it that useful with this fast lens. Something on the face will be in focus, but not the eyes usually. This technique sounds a lot more useful, and I will be trying to improve using this technique.