Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
FA 100mm F2.8 macro & K20D

Since I can't go outside because of the cruddy weather we are having, I'm just playing around with some of my lenses; just shooting some stuff off with a used FA 100mm f2.8 macro I picked up a long time ago for the princely sum of about US$100 odd dollars.

It's a heavy lens and handheld shots can be tricky when shooting wide open with the extremely shallow DOF. Shooting under incandescent lighting probably doesn't help either...

All shot in JPG with manual white balance corrected off a sheet of white paper, a few have been tweaked to bump up exposure, and all defaulting to ISO 400. Exported at old K10D max resolution because file sizes are considerably bigger now.

Last edited by legacyb4; 01-11-2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: I think I posted in the wrong forum; can a moderator please move if necessary?
01-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back in the film days, I almost never used my FA100/2.8 macro (with PZ1P) but since went digital, this lens gets the most use from all my primes. Engage the focus limiter and turns into a fast focusing tack sharp mid tele.

Agree that its heavy and bulky, but I am sure no other lens can beat up its image quality.
01-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Since I can't go outside because of the cruddy weather we are having, I'm just playing around with some of my lenses; just shooting some stuff off with a used FA 100mm f2.8 macro I picked up a long time ago for the princely sum of about US$100 odd dollars.

It's a heavy lens and handheld shots can be tricky when shooting wide open with the extremely shallow DOF. Shooting under incandescent lighting probably doesn't help either...

I got it from KEH way back at around $150. Money well spent. It is heavy but not overly though. I have temporarily loaned that to my daughter of 9 hours drive away . Meanwhile my only macro /mid tele lens is the Tamron 90mm. They both are ultra sharp as macro .

As a mid tele, its smc color rendition is unmistakable.

Daniel
01-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice decent shots there. A nice lens to own and a classic to keep too.