Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2024, 07:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adapted KAF lenses on GFX 50SII

Greetings.

So I’ve been mostly happy with the products of my K1mk1 and plethora of lenses. I’m at a point where I could explore options in other brands. I recently bought a Fuji GFX 50Sii body with the kit lens. I’m interested to share some of my reflections on switching from a very nice system to modern digital “MF”.

I’m interested to see how my KAF glass adapts. Bought a fotodiox adapter (KAF->GF) and will be conducting a comparison of the GF 35-70 to the DFA 24-70, as well as results of shooting KAF adapted lenses on the GFX 50SII. Not a ton of this particular content i could find on this forum, so happy to add some if there’s value added.

Can post results here if anybody is interested. If not, keep an eye out for my kit on the sale forum at some point in the future. Gotta reduce the camera shelf…

02-09-2024, 08:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two or three older threads. The older threads mainly focused on FA prime limited lenses not D FA zooms.

Will you be using the built in MF to FF crop mode or shooting full sensor size and showing the unedited results?
02-09-2024, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There are two or three older threads. The older threads mainly focused on FA prime limited lenses not D FA zooms.

Will you be using the built in MF to FF crop mode or shooting full sensor size and showing the unedited results?
i'm interested in the coverage for the MF image circle. much of what i've read (to include your referenced threads) shows that 50mm+ is safe on the 44x33mm sensor. i'm keen on finding out. anything unusable will end up on the sale forum.

by unusable, i mean unacceptably soft or otherwise without subjective character. intent is to post images attesting to the same for anyone else considering my path.

Last edited by bigoak; 02-09-2024 at 08:54 PM. Reason: context
02-09-2024, 11:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
KAF4 lenses won't work.

02-10-2024, 06:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
KAF4 lenses won't work.
They won’t be able to be stopped down as they default to wide open. They should still be able to be focused. That limits their usefulness, but is not fatal depending on the intended use. Nd filters or added physical discs for aperture reduction could be used as well. Inconvenient, but not fatal.

The PLM and 18-50RE lenses focus by wire which is a deal breaker as they won’t focus at all. But these are all APSC lenses and not candidates for use in this way. I would expect the main interest to be on lenses with aperture rings (F/FA series) but the op may plan some D FA use and your call out is a good reminder that lens technology is evolving and compatibility isn’t always easy.
02-10-2024, 07:07 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigoak Quote
I’m interested to see how my KAF glass adapts. Bought a fotodiox adapter (KAF->GF) and will be conducting a comparison of the GF 35-70 to the DFA 24-70, as well as results of shooting KAF adapted lenses on the GFX 50SII. Not a ton of this particular content i could find on this forum, so happy to add some if there’s value added.
I bought the same fotodiox adapter for the same GFX camera. My Pentax 50mm F1.7 A has full 33x44 coverage on the GFX. The Pentax HD Pentax-D FA Macro 100mm f/2.8 vignettes badly. As a point of reference, my old 28mm Vivitar Nikon mount lens (with a Nikon adapter) also provides full coverage.

The only GFX lens I have is the GFX 50mm. The Pentax 50mm F1.7 is actually pretty nice to use on the GFX, even with the rather heavy adapter the Pentax lens+GFX camera seems somehow lighter and smaller, but I haven't weigh or measure to confirm.
02-10-2024, 11:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got a K&F concept adaptor, (just a K-mount on the front and Fuji G on the back) for my 50R, Have used my 18mm/3.5 K and M28/3.5 on the Fuji,
Both vignette in the corners, but when I shoot the 65:24 pano mode is very usable.
The pano and wide is what I bought the GFX for, so it works for me.
I picked up the Fuji 35-70, and that's been staying parked on the camera lately, I need to "forget" it a home and go experiment more.

02-10-2024, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Fotodiox carries an interesting option:

Pro Adapter - Pentax K AF (PK-AF) Lens to Fujifilm G-Mount Digital Cameras ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA
02-10-2024, 11:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A few lenses tested on 33x44

Lenses: Coverage of Full Frame Lenses on Larger Formats - Google Sheets
02-10-2024, 11:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigoak Quote
Greetings.

So I’ve been mostly happy with the products of my K1mk1 and plethora of lenses. I’m at a point where I could explore options in other brands. I recently bought a Fuji GFX 50Sii body with the kit lens. I’m interested to share some of my reflections on switching from a very nice system to modern digital “MF”.

Can post results here if anybody is interested. If not, keep an eye out for my kit on the sale forum at some point in the future. Gotta reduce the camera shelf…
very interested to know how you got / get on. Granted KAF4 lenses won't adapt, but these look like they're all manual ? Can't see any electrical contacts, or aperture coupling. Fuji her have a loan-to-test service which I might be using after Sony was a miserable failure.
02-10-2024, 06:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here's an adapted Taukmar 135/2.5 on the GFX 50SII.

btw sorry to inflict my kids on y'all.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GFX50S II  Photo 

Last edited by bigoak; 02-10-2024 at 06:22 PM. Reason: apology