Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA* 16-50 and 50-135

I have a K10d and hope to upgrade soon to the K20d body

my two primary lenses ironically are the 18-55 I version kit lens and a Quantaray 70-300 telephoto Macro from which images produced can be seen here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/46315-iceemn360s-k10d-photo-thread.html

My question is that many seem to find the photos I've already taken pretty good but do you think that by upgrading to the DA* lenses that much will REALLY change? The weatherproofing on the lenses is a sure attracting factor> especially for my anticipated education abroad in Costa Rica. For now I've gotten more than I could have asked for from these relatively cheap or "lower" quality lenses but is it really worth it?

Last edited by Timtast1c; 01-11-2009 at 07:59 PM.
01-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Forum Member

I think what you'll notice most is a different rendition of colours, followed by some increase in sharpness. Going from a kit lens to the 16-50 is really a blow away for the most part. The feel from photos I've taken with the 16-50 is more film like to me. The kit lens renders photos in a way I've actually come to like (since selling it), and there are some instances where the feel is quite pleasing - and there would be the odd moment where the kit lens *might* be preferred. Like a scene where you want hard transition of colour gradients and less micro contrast. But overall if you get a good 16-50 there would be no going back.

Couldnt tell you what improvement you should expect with the 50-135 except to say Im loving mine after the initial front focus adjustments and measurements phase. In real use in a camping trip recently the results were up to scratch. Very sharp lens, to the point where it's difficult to tell you are looking at 100% crops most of the time.

A side note with the 16-50... Personally I think its made my photos worse, Im now lazy with composition. I just point and shoot and see a great rendition of colour and sharpness with a more film like quality, gawk at what the lens can do and move on. I've taken better photos with the kit lens thus far. I think Im still in the *awe* phase of the 16-50 despite it being with me for a while now, I'm sure itll change eventually.
01-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks avian. definitely helpful . looks like the DA 16-50 might have some unintended effects! but I think your photos look great!
01-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Avian, I think if your satisfied IQ wise with your current setup, the biggest difference you will see by moving up to the DA*'s is in speed. The two kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200) have a relatively small maximum aperture and if youre shooting in low light, you will have difficulty acheiving fast shutter speeds necessary for certain subjects. Also the DA*'s have SDM, while many say that the AF isnt any faster, it is definately MUCH quieter.

01-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have posted this before and will proudly state again that this combo DA 16-50 and DA 50-135 make them my favourite 2 lenses. With the range covered and image quility received I could not ask for more.

The 16-50 has in fact held off my LBA and desire to get another Prime Limited in the FA 31, for at present I cannot justify the reason I would need it. I know all of the BIG reasons that the FA 31 is better but the DA is great at 16mm 31mm and 50mm.

No need to go into reasons of having the DA 50-135 except that it keeps my FA 77 in the bag to a stage now that I am thinking of selling it.

If zooms suit your photostyle then I say these two are a must have

Neil
01-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
Avian, I think if your satisfied IQ wise with your current setup, the biggest difference you will see by moving up to the DA*'s is in speed. The two kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200) have a relatively small maximum aperture and if youre shooting in low light, you will have difficulty acheiving fast shutter speeds necessary for certain subjects.
Frankly, that's the only reason I'd consider upgrading my zooms. But since that's an expensive and big/heavy way to get that speed, I'm happier using my cheap M-series primes and my not-very-expensive-either DA40 for speed, and keeping my perfectly adequate DA zooms (18-55 and 50-200) for situations when I feel like the convenience of zoom (and AF) is worth the sacrifice.
01-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have that pair of lenses and really enjoy them. The 50-135 is just stellar, and the 16-50 is gaining in enjoyment everytime I use it. Both are quick to AF and give great colors.

I will say, however, that I didn't like the 16-50 on my K10D. AF was much more hit/miss and I got bad purple fringing in high contrast shots. Since moving to the K20D, the 16-50 problems went away. I now confidently use both lenses, and enjoy doing so.