Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DA*50-135 is not only good optically, it's resilient too!!

As I noted in another thread of mine, the DA*50-135 dropped out of my bag during a wedding dinner photoshoot I was doing. It hit thin carpet and rolled over to a nearby chair.

Darn near wet my pants right there and then.

Anyways, after finishing off that portion of the event I was doing, I quickly picked up the DA*50-135 and did a few tests here and there (and even shaked it a bit to listen for broken parts). Nothing. No sound. It focused fine, took sharp shots, and was deadly accurate like it's always been.
The only thing shaking was me... oi...

Sooo... yeah. It's weather-sealed, it's SDM, it's got awesome image quality... and from my experience, it's a really tough lens. I have a renewed love for this awesome lens now.

But don't y'all go dropping it now to test!!!

Anyone else experience something like this?

Last edited by dugrant153; 01-12-2009 at 01:15 AM.
01-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Banned

no. because I do not own your lovely lens.

I did drop my smc-M 50mm 1.7 on my foot the other day. neither my foot nor the lens took damage. but I wouldn't recommend dropping a lens on ones foot.
01-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote

Darn near wet my pants right there and then.
Made my night, thank you.

I've dropped my DA40 Ltd. out of my bag. My bag was in my lap and it just rolled out, into my lap, off my leg, and on to concrete... It rolled a good ways before it stopped too. I completely understand the wetting of the pants feeling. I'm sure if you'd seen me while this was happening you might have thought someone died. The lens is perfectly fine though.
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Anyone else experience something like this?
Lucky escape - I would say.

I had several of these: In Shanghai I had a rest in a lovely garden, camera on my lap, when I suddenly decided, I needed something from my bag. The Pentax DA 18-55 took to flight and crashed right on the stone pavement. It worked flawlessly ever after and only had a very slight scratch on the hood.

My K20 took to flight the very first day I used it. I had attached one of my beloved 10 Million Pentax Cameras Anniversary straps to it. That came lose and the camera chrashed down from hanging around my neck right down onto the floor, landing on the attached Sigma 18-50/2.8. Luckily it was somewhat soft soil (inside a historic smithy). The Sigma's hhod got a scratch and the camera also got a slight scratch on the mode dial, but both work flawlessly... But I use another camera strap now!

Ben

01-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
yeah, I would say I was quite lucky. Glad to hear that all this glass is pretty strong!!

Any time a lens or camera takes flight, you know that's bad.
01-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My grandson recently got hold of my 50mm 1.4 (who didn't put it away!!!)and used it as a ball - tossed it right across the room coming to rest on a tiled floor. There is now a small mark - cosmetic only and no other damage to the lens!