Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

which 50/55/58mm lens

Hi all,

I got the Takumar smc 50mm f1.4 as my first lens for my k10d.
Love the quality. The contrast, details, sharpness, and a very 3d quality was amazing, reminds me of the zeiss on my Contax G1 I used to have.

But decided I don't want to deal with screw mount and stop-down metering.

Then I returned it and got the Pentax SMC-A 50mm f1.7. It was good, and the bokeh is interesting. But it just doesn't have the same 3D IQ as the Tak. Actually, it was not much better than my 16-45mm, which is excellent. But it just doesn't have that extra something that the Tak has.

So now I am thinking, if I get the FA 50mm f1.4, will the contrast, colors be more like the Tak, or the A 50mm/f1.7? Or should I try to find a Voigtlander 58/1.4? But it would cost a lot more...

Thanks,
donna

P.S. I am also getting a DA35mm macro. So I want another longer prime will be for lowlight, portraits...

Last edited by annod; 01-12-2009 at 08:55 AM.
01-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #2

I'm not sure if you're aware, but we've got a DA* 55mm on the way...You might want to wait on that one.

DA* 55mm Info
01-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by annod Quote
Or should I try to find a Voigtlander 58/1.4?
yes. There are a couple of threads showing what this lens can do.
01-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HowLowCanYaGo Quote
I'm not sure if you're aware, but we've got a DA* 55mm on the way...You might want to wait on that one.

DA* 55mm Info
It sounds tempting, but sounds expensive also, and prices probably won't come down till next year...

Originally, i didn't think I would want to spend more than $400 on lenses TOTAL. I am already spending way too much :-(

Last edited by annod; 01-12-2009 at 10:24 AM.
01-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Banned

I hate to say it, but to be honest, you will likely not find any lens that has the 'magic' that the Takumars have. its a give and take situation for sure. I think the DA* 55mm will likely have a magic all its own (like the fabled A* 85mm) but also like the 85mm will be out of most peoples price range. if you really want the convenience of a modern K mount lens and a 'be all and end all' of the focal length, then the DA* 55mm may be worth saving up for. but given the fact that you already think it will just be too expensive for what it is then I would say the Nokton will probably be the best bet. you certainly wont be disappointed with it, but it's no Takumar.

Last edited by séamuis; 01-12-2009 at 10:57 AM.
01-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds tempting, but sounds expensive also, and prices probably won't come down till next year...

Originally, i didn't think I would want to spend more than $400 on lenses TOTAL. I am already spending way too much :-(
Well, given the cost constraints, consider looking into an FA 50mm f1.4. As far as new production manual focus lenses go, the Nokton has been mentioned but the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZK Planar T* Lens is worth considering even if it is ~ $514 shipped.
01-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I hate to say it, but to be honest, you will likely not find any lens that has the 'magic' that the Takumars have.
The darn thing is, the SMC A 50mm f1.7 lens is fine, with an older "film look" as well, and interesting bokeh. If I didn't try the Takumar beforehand, I probably would have been satisfied with it :-)

01-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Banned

The darn thing is, the SMC A 50mm f1.7 lens is fine, with an older "film look" as well, and interesting bokeh. If I didn't try the Takumar beforehand, I probably would have been satisfied with it :-)
such is the curse my friend.... its ok though, because eventually you will be buying more Takumars, and will be saying 'to hell with convenience.' and then it will all make sense.... beautiful, magical images.

we've all said it before, Takumars are the greatest still photography lenses ever made. that may be arguable, but I challenge someone to actually pull such an argument off.
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Igilligan

I am not understand exactly...

The SMC tak 50 1.4 is one of the best... Is the inconvience you speak of the one button metering, since you must MF the A lenses anyway. Or is it the adaptor issue?

I just love my screwmount lenses. My latest, is a 20 dollar Helios 44m that for portraits is my new go to MF lens. It is 58mm

First three shots
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/46257-some-mf-k20-shots.html

But the FA 50 1.4 is alright if you really want Auto metering and focus. And pretty cheap 200 new and I see them for less here in our marketplace.

("I am not understand exactly" and english is not my second language...) go figure
01-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
The SMC tak 50 1.4 is one of the best... Is the inconvience you speak of the one button metering, since you must MF the A lenses anyway. Or is it the adaptor issue?

I just love my screwmount lenses. My latest, is a 20 dollar Helios 44m that for portraits is my new go to MF lens. It is 58mm

First three shots
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/46257-some-mf-k20-shots.html

But the FA 50 1.4 is alright if you really want Auto metering and focus. And pretty cheap 200 new and I see them for less here in our marketplace.

("I am not understand exactly" and english is not my second language...) go figure
depending on the body one uses stop down metering can be incredibly quick.

on my K110D I focus and frame the shot, then stop down to the desired aperture, then meter and strip the shutter almost instantaneously. I can do this because I have my thumb on the AE-L button and my pointer finger on the shutter. while I keep my other hand on the focus ring for any adjustments that may or may not be needed. I can press the AE-L button and then immediately trip the shutter with the same hand and never have to move my face away from the camera. if you practice this enough it becomes second nature and you dont even realize that you have added steps compared to a modern lens.
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I don't understand either. Why limit yourself to just one of these lenses? I have 7-10, not counting a couple that I tried to get my brother to use. I could probably get real serious one day and work down to 5, maybe 4 but I'd regret it.

Seriously, this focal length offers so many inexpensive and excellent choices, even on a budget, two or three lenses chosen for different characteristics isn't really overkill. Say the Takumar for rendering, a Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 for AF convenience and sharpness, a Helios for a longer, different look.
01-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
such is the curse my friend.... its ok though, because eventually you will be buying more Takumars, and will be saying 'to hell with convenience.' and then it will all make sense.... beautiful, magical images.
Ha ha you are reading my mind. I returned the Screw to K mount as well 'cos I thought, with all the newer choices, there's got to be some that would be just as good.

Also, initially, I thought it would be too much of a pain to change lens between screw/K-mount. But I realize that I really only like to take only one lens with me when I am out and about. So this lens changing thing becomes a non-problem.
But now I may go M42 again. Maybe also try the Helios 44M Gus suggested. Those pics look gooood.

But how can stop-down metering be fast enough for candid portraits? Manual focus requires an extra step from AF. Stop down meter is another extra step. Any tips? Pre-meter?

(I use a K10d)

-Donna
01-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Personally, I can't wait to see some images from the DA*55mm. Can't. Wait.

c[_]
01-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Banned

Ha ha you are reading my mind. I returned the Screw to K mount as well 'cos I thought, with all the newer choices, there's got to be some that would be just as good.

Also, initially, I thought it would be too much of a pain to change lens between screw/K-mount. But I realize that I really only like to take only one lens with me when I am out and about. So this lens changing thing becomes a non-problem.
But now I may go M42 again. Maybe also try the Helios 44M Gus suggested. Those pics look gooood.

But how can stop-down metering be fast enough for candid portraits? Manual focus requires an extra step from AF. Stop down meter is another extra step. Any tips? Pre-meter?

(I use a K10d)

-Donna

I actually find it harder with a K10/20/200 compared to the K100 and older series because the way I hold the camera allows me to compose, focus, stop down lens, meter and trip the shutter all without moving my hands or looking away from the viewfinder. my left hand stays on the focus ring and (partially supporting the camera, while my right thumb stays on the AE-L button and my pointer finger on the shutter. I basically turn the two different actions (meter, trip shutter) into nearly one fluid movement by rolling from my thumb to my finger. it meters and then trips the shutter as soon as its done. I dont even really think of it as an extra step anymore. of course it also helps to already have the meter reading (if you dont have fast changing light conditions) and then just shoot away. you dont necissaraly have to meter after every shot. when im on the streets I usually only go from 1/125 to 1/1000. and I can do this most of the time without metering.
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I actually find it harder with a K10/20/200 compared to the K100 and older series because the way I hold the camera allows me to compose, focus, stop down lens, meter and trip the shutter all without moving my hands or looking away from the viewfinder. my left hand stays on the focus ring and (partially supporting the camera, while my right thumb stays on the AE-L button and my pointer finger on the shutter. I basically turn the two different actions (meter, trip shutter) into nearly one fluid movement by rolling from my thumb to my finger. it meters and then trips the shutter as soon as its done. I dont even really think of it as an extra step anymore. of course it also helps to already have the meter reading (if you dont have fast changing light conditions) and then just shoot away. you dont necissaraly have to meter after every shot. when im on the streets I usually only go from 1/125 to 1/1000. and I can do this most of the time without metering.

This is kinda close to the way it flows for me now too.