Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax digital 18 - 250mm zoom

I was looking to buy the above lens (UK purchase) but today I was told by the dealer that it is now discontinued (although a few can still be found).

However, that lens is the very same one that Tamron have marketed for Nikon and Canon.

Good news is that Tamron now offer that lens in Pentax fit and at a slightly lower price (in UK) than the Pentax labelled lens can be obtained for.

01-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

wtf?

that must be the old dealer's trick of telling you the item you want is discontinued so you buy what they have in stock

it's NOT discontinued, look up pentax's site

Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
01-13-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
wtf?

that must be the old dealer's trick of telling you the item you want is discontinued so you buy what they have in stock

it's NOT discontinued, look up pentax's site

Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
I actually checked with 2 dealers and got the same story.
2nd dealer could supply the Pentax labelled lens as he had a few left, but gave me the Tamron one at a cheaper price.
01-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
still not conclusive evidence....

01-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Total bullshit. Besides, Tamron has been making theirs with the Pentax mount ever since they released them, this isn't new news.

Jason
01-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

For the benefit of other UK users, you should name the dealers in question, as both have been caught lying to you.

The Pentax 18-250 is definately still in production and still in stock from reputable dealers that don't pull the "we don't have it so we'll lie about it" trick.

Pentax | SMCP-DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL (IF) Autofocus | 21697 (B&H in the US)

Amazon.com: Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics (Amazon in the U.S.)

Pentax - SMC DA 18-250 mm F/3.5-6.3 ED AL Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (Amazon UK, although unlike Amazon US it is sold by an affiliate and not Amazon themselves.)
01-14-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
[QUOTE=Entropy;450248]For the benefit of other UK users, you should name the dealers in question, as both have been caught lying to you.

The Pentax 18-250 is definately still in production and still in stock from reputable dealers that don't pull the "we don't have it so we'll lie about it" trick. etc.

Little bit of a mystery in this.

I know both dealers personally and they have always given excellent service.

The first one just said the lens was discontinued and did not offer any alternative.

The 2nd dealer (where I bought the lens) had old Pentax stock and could have sold me the Pentax version, but advised me to take the slightly cheaper Tamron - and threw in a skylight filter too.

However, I have emailed Pentax UK about the situation and have posted the story on UK forums (one of which will contact their Pentax rep).

I am beginning to think that this is a UK marketing problem in that the vast bulk of independent lenses are advertised as N or C fit only.

I have been scrutinising the magazine ads since last July and have only seen the Tamron 18-250 in N & C mounts. However, on reading the documentation with the lens it clearly has always been made in N, C & P mounts.

Probably Nikon and Canon have captured the market here to such a large extent that independent lenses in other mounts are not stocked to the same extent as C & N.
01-14-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentax Rep on the Digital Photography Forum (UK) has just posted this item:-

The official response:

Pentax UK can confirm the 18-250mm lens has been discontinued.

Sorry

Best wishes,

Josie