Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
Hi guys,

For your information, I am down to 225. Only 25 pounds (12 weeks or so) and I've got a new DA*300!

Thanks for your support.
Support, hah! Everyone has great lens ideas but no one offered any recipes. Well, here's mine, a 20 minute dinner.

First, the rice. In Hawai'i, I started buying short-grain rice, the type used for sushi. I use a half-cup rice and a cup of water for 2 servings. The rice takes 20 minutes; the dinner can be made faster with faster rice.

Next, the fish. In Hawai'i, I could buy opah, which probably can't be found anywhere else, possibly California. Now I use wild salmon (farm-raised has less vitamins or something), about 4-5 ounces per serving. Throw about 1/4 cup Smart Balance margarine in a frying pan, squeeze the juice from 1 lemon per person in there, add 1/4 tsp or more of dill, thyme and tarragon, put the fish in and cover. Medium heat for about 10 minutes. You can vary spices, margarine and lemons for the ideal sauce.

Now you can start on the vegetables. We started this vegetable thing when my wife got some nutritional advice. The basic idea is, you are allowed to eat as many vegetables as you want. I have a 1.5 quart microwave bowl with a cover. I use 3-4 ounces of carrots, peeled and chopped into 1" sections. Put the carrots in a bowl, add maybe a tablespoon of water, cover with wax paper and cover the bowl. Microwave on high for about a minute and a half. Cut up some broccoli and green beans, 3-4 oz. each and add them to the pot. Microwave for another two minutes, twenty seconds. Adjust times for your microwave and vegetables.

You might think this is way too many vegetables to eat at first, but you get used to it. There's a couple of butter flavored sprays on the market that essentially have nothing in them: no calories or carbs or fat. Those are good if you're used to putting something on the vegetables. Lately my wife has asked me to add something else. I use 1/2 tsp. turmeric, 1 tsp olive oil and some black pepper (for 2 servings), mixed in when I add the broccoli. Turmeric is supposed to be good for you, but it kind of tastes like it's supposed to be good for you.

01-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #17
Igilligan

That is very impressive...

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
Hi guys,

For your information, I am down to 225. Only 25 pounds (12 weeks or so) and I've got a new DA*300!

Thanks for your support.

Congrats on the poundage... and the lens...

I have hit a major wall and somehow need to power thru before I loose the desire...
01-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #18
Igilligan

Great recipe Dave...

Unlimited veggies sounds good to me...

Are you exercising too?
01-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Please dear God, do not let this forum become dominated by squirrels as well.
So... you have a problem with squirrels??

01-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good for you guys!! I already took care of being out of shape last year... had an extended layoff from regular exercise for multiple reasons. Everything is back on track with a minimum of 3-5 hours of training per week. Having good conditioning (in my mind) is pretty much a necessity with carrying heavier gear and extended hikes in the field. It wasn't difficult to get back into the groove and get into shape after that, due to previous background in sports/competition.

During the wildlife photo competition last year, on one trip I dropped 4 pounds in 8 days. I was eating only 1500 calories/day, since you don't want to leave the blind too much and disturb the target areas. Lots of fluids though, so it was real weight loss...

Regards,
Marc
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
So... you have a problem with squirrels??
Hey, I love squirrels. Some of my best friends are squirrels. But they did stage a coup d'etat when Phil wasn't looking and have now taken over DPR. Although I gotta' admit they're not doing a bad job over there, the violent flame wars of past don't seem to happen too much anymore.

Besides, I have to like animals. At university I didn't enjoy subcellular biology and went into zoology.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Good for you guys!! I already took care of being out of shape last year... had an extended layoff from regular exercise for multiple reasons. Everything is back on track with a minimum of 3-5 hours of training per week.
I started working out seriously over a year ago. I was tired of constantly throwing out my back. I haven't really lost any weight but hopefully I've lost fat and gained muscle. I have dropped about 3 or 4 belt notches, but it's hard work especially for someone like me who has a desk job.
01-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Great recipe Dave...

Unlimited veggies sounds good to me...

Are you exercising too?
I was walking 6 miles a day, 5 days a week, but winter interfered. Maybe half that now on the treamill. I am into the hard part now - keeping it off.

01-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Hey, I love squirrels. Some of my best friends are squirrels. But they did stage a coup d'etat when Phil wasn't looking and have now taken over DPR. Although I gotta' admit they're not doing a bad job over there, the violent flame wars of past don't seem to happen too much anymore.

Besides, I have to like animals. At university I didn't enjoy subcellular biology and went into zoology.

I started working out seriously over a year ago. I was tired of constantly throwing out my back. I haven't really lost any weight but hopefully I've lost fat and gained muscle. I have dropped about 3 or 4 belt notches, but it's hard work especially for someone like me who has a desk job.

Psst... I'm WSSA member #149...

Good for you on dropping the weight!

Regards,
Marc