Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Help me choose a lens!

Hello, I am just getting into DSLR photography, I've owned 3 digital cameras over the past few years and decided SLR is the way to go for me. I think I am going to purchase the K10D when it is released. I'd like some help decided which lens to get, I enjoy shooting sunset and landscape photography, I'm also interested in Macro. Should I get the kit lens 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 with the camera, which I think would work fine for the outdoor photos, only I'm a little concerned it only costs $100 more to get the lens, doesn't strike me as a great lens. What macro lens should I get for shooting things like flowers? I really want to get the lens right the first time even if it means spending a little more initially.

10-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
BTW, would there be any weathersealed lenses out there in this category? Wouldn't make much sense to have a seal camera but vunerable lens.
10-20-2006, 05:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi bigburb

The kit lens is a very good value for money bargain. I have seen some very amazing shots taken with it. If you are new to photography and don't really know which focal length that you use more often, I would suggest go with the kit lens since it is nice and cheap. But if you know which focal length you want, then get a better lens in that range. Eg if you constantly use wide angle range, then a good alternative is DA16-45/4.
As for your macro lens, if you are not shooting insects, you can go with DFA50/2.8. If you are shooting insects, then either DFA100/2.8 or Tamron 90/2.8 are all really nice macro lenses.

cheers,
Kenny
10-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would have to agree the Tamron 90 DI Macro is an amazingly good quality lens, worth more than it costs ;-)

For mainly landscapes, if you like zooms I would go with the Pentax DA16-45.. If you prefer primes the DA21/3.2 and/or the DA14/2.8 for ultra wide..

10-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I ALREADY bought the DA16-45 f/4 and I'm using it on my 35mm Pentax in the meanwhile. What a nice lens!!! Definitely worth it (I do the math: $100 rebate and $100 saved when I buy the body only...)

Like you, I plan on getting probably the 50mm f/2.8 macro when I get the camera (I'll want to play with both K100D and K10D to see which feels better).

From the old manual focus days I have a Tamron SP 35-80 f/2.8-3.5 close focus lens... which was my favorite as it did all the things I usually wanted to do - portraits, landscapes, fast enough for low-ish light, and a decent macro. I'm not sure there's anything equivalent out there these days, tho Sigma seems to have a couple macro zooms that are promising... the 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC and the 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC. But for me those two are moot now.
10-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Awesome replies guys thanks a lot! I think I'll go with the kit lens for now like you said to find which focal lengths I like, I may want to go wider or not, but for a hundred bucks I'd might as well find out. I'll also get the Tamron macro lens, where is a good place to find a good selection of these lenses? I'd like find a good place and stick with them for all my photo needs.
10-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigburb Quote
I'll also get the Tamron macro lens, where is a good place to find a good selection of these lenses? I'd like find a good place and stick with them for all my photo needs.
If you don't mind 2nd-hand stuff, try http://www.keh.com/

If you want new stuff only, try http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I have bought from both and no problems at all. But if you can find a local shop with a reasonable price, I will stick with that and build up the relationship.

Oh, don't forget there is Buy/Sell/Trade forum on this website too.

cheers
Kenny
10-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I love DA14/2.8 and it is very handy with travel. It covers everything and you can crop the pic whatever you like..

Here are some examples:

10-26-2006, 04:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the world of Pentax. The DA18-55 is generally considered to be one of the best of the kit lenses from any manufacturer. Although it is not a great lense, it is a stellar performer for the money and a great value.

It has features Canon and Nikon do not have, such as quick shift MF, meaning you can touch up the focus without switching to manual. It also has a durable metal mount, unlike the others kit lenses which are plastic.

It is such a value you should get it and use it until you determine what your future lense needs will be, otherwise, LBA will strike hard and before you know it, you'll have a bag full of great Pentax lenses.

Hope this helps some.

Rosco
10-26-2006, 04:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

BTW, would there be any weathersealed lenses out there in this category? Wouldn't make much sense to have a seal camera but vunerable lens.
Weather sealed DA* lenses will be available next year.
10-31-2006, 07:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome replies guys thanks a lot! I think I'll go with the kit lens for now like you said to find which focal lengths I like, I may want to go wider or not, but for a hundred bucks I'd might as well find out. I'll also get the Tamron macro lens, where is a good place to find a good selection of these lenses? I'd like find a good place and stick with them for all my photo needs.
Besides KEH and B&H which are already mentioned, also check out Adorama (adorama.com) not quite as extensive as B&H, but sometimes prices are a bit better. All three stores are very reliable.

NaCl(I've been happy with all three)H2O +