Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

SMC Pentax 135mm F3.5

hi there,
I've just got one of these K series off ebay, the auction said it didn't focus and had fungus, sold for repair or parts so I took a punt that I can fix it, it cost me $15. Fungus I can deal with and having taken appart my M50 f.17 I thought the focus should be easy to fix. Anyhow I've got it now , I'm not sure but I think the rear lense element may be missing, there is a collar part in behind the mount that is loose.

I'm hope someone with one of these may be able to post a photo of the mount end of the lens so I can see what its suppose to look like in there.

Cheers in advance

mike

01-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is kind of a crappy photo, before I figured out a better way to take this shot:

There is a rectangular light shield here, similar to the Pentax-M 200/4or the Pentax-K 135/2.5. I believe that attaches to the interior of the mount with three screws through the sides. Then there's a round light shield with spanner slots that extends to the rear element. The rear element is pretty deep in the lens. The rear element and round light shield are pretty similar to the S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5. The shield should be threaded. I can't remember if the round shield is a separate piece or carries the rear element or group.

It has been a while since I had this lens. It may be one of the lenses that unscrews in the middle, allowing easy access to the aperture and front lens group. Try setting focus to the minimum distance, grasp the focus ring in one hand and the lens barrel in the other, and try to turn the barrel counter-clockwise. It should be easier than opening a jar; gorilla strength not required. I'm not sure what would cause this lens not to focus.

The lens isn't very common, despite being 135mm. I found out this lens is only 4 groups/4 elements and decided to chase a Pentax-M f3.5 or the 6 element/6 group f2.5 version. Well after I sold my copy, someone showed me his test results that proved his copy was a bit better than a Pentax-M 135/3.5.
01-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mike,

I got your email re the K 135/3.5 lens but I see Just1MoreDave beat me to it. The image above has all the right bits in the right places. If yours doesn't look like this then you are missing something.

Good luck

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 01-13-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo
01-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks guys.
I think I'm missing quite a bit from the looks of that, bummer : (
Oh well maybe another will turn up soon.

Cheers
mike